Cooling fan staying on after shut-off, Honda Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Honda Pilot that my ex drives, I bought it back in 2010. She mentioned for the past few days, one of the fans under the hood runs after she shuts it off. I'm thinking it could be a relay going bad considering it never did this before? I do need to check the coolant level just as a precaution. She said the temp gauge didn't appear to go any higher than normal. Car has been BITOG-maintained.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, check the coolant level.
Also, it is not abnormal for a fan to run after the engine is shut off and say so in most owner's manuals and repair manuals.
But, since you've owned the vehicle and the fan has never stayed on after the engine is turned off(still being cool/cold outside) then, I think you're on to something with the relay or sensor issue.

Last edited:
I took a quick look at the Pilot forums and this issue is commonly due to low coolant or a bad relay.

OK. I paid extra for an aftermarket PCM that runs the fans for 5 minutes after engine shutdown if the temperature is over 185. Just curious, what is "BITOG" maintained? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil
OK. I paid extra for an aftermarket PCM that runs the fans for 5 minutes after engine shutdown if the temperature is over 185. Just curious, what is "BITOG" maintained? Thanks.

Id say that means he "doesnt hate to change oil"

LOL it should have read EX wife maintained.

Just curious, what is "BITOG" maintained? Thanks.

It's code for "we're all neurotic about maintaining our vehicles and treat them better than our own bodies."

I'm going to get coolant today and look at it tomorrow morning. I've smelled "faint" coolant smell for a couple months now but can't see leaks or hear sizzling.

Either that or some are so cheap they run the cheapest swill oil and spend money on UOA's instead of good oil trying to get the last mile out of the oil. To supplement my cheap oil I got an expensive ceramic snake oil additive and a Fram Ultra filter to prevent my engine from wearing out but now I am PO'd because the timing belt broke and bent all the valves. There are 2 sides to that coin.

UPDATE: It was low on coolant. Added 3/4 of a gallon of Peak Global Lifetime, burped it properly, and everything is back to normal.
Now to figure out where it's going. It's not mixing with the oil, it's not "sizzling" indicating a leak in the head gasket, it's not dripping on the ground anywhere, no wet spots. Interesting.
I guess the good news is I won't be paying for any repairs down the line!

Chris, I've never seen under the hood of a 2008 Honda Pilot, but I'll share what's happened to my daughter's car (she's still at home, so I BITOG maintain MY car that SHE drives). It's got a GM 3800 (notorious for intake leaks) in it. I noticed that the coolant level in the overflow reservoir goes down SLOWLY (takes a couple months) but it does drop. No overheating, no spots on driveway, no coolant in oil (UOA) so I'm NOT guessing.

Got to looking around the engine compartment closely, coolant stains barely visible on top of the timing chain cover. Oring on plastic coolant elbow leaking ever so slightly, the coolant either gets cooked off by engine heat or evaporates due to air movement at cruise, NEVER any coolant on the ground. Methinks you've got something similar, 3 quarts of coolant doesn't just disappear. I have also used a 1000 lumen black light flashlight to find coolant leaks in a dark garage. https://www.globaltestsupply.com/pr...5kNp9h5yjYr4STHUGP8vR9aIRaRoC40sQAvD_BwE

Chris, I've never seen under the hood of a 2008 Honda Pilot, but I'll share what's happened to my daughter's car (she's still at home, so I BITOG maintain MY car that SHE drives). It's got a GM 3800 (notorious for intake leaks) in it. I noticed that the coolant level in the overflow reservoir goes down SLOWLY (takes a couple months) but it does drop. No overheating, no spots on driveway, no coolant in oil (UOA) so I'm NOT guessing.

Got to looking around the engine compartment closely, coolant stains barely visible on top of the timing chain cover. Oring on plastic coolant elbow leaking ever so slightly, the coolant either gets cooked off by engine heat or evaporates due to air movement at cruise, NEVER any coolant on the ground. Methinks you've got something similar, 3 quarts of coolant doesn't just disappear. I have also used a 1000 lumen black light flashlight to find coolant leaks in a dark garage. https://www.globaltestsupply.com/pr...5kNp9h5yjYr4STHUGP8vR9aIRaRoC40sQAvD_BwE

Thanks!

The factory plastic coolant elbows are a classic issue with the GM 3.8l . Replace them with after market metal parts .

If the plastic ones break , I will bet it will not take long to pump the system dry , at high way speed .

Turns out there's a small leak at the bottom seam of the radiator that only leaks under pressure.
$631 to fix, or $8 for GM coolant tabs to see how those go.

Tabs for the win!

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
Turns out there's a small leak at the bottom seam of the radiator that only leaks under pressure.

Tabs for the win!

Replace the radiator. Coolant leaks are not something to mess around with, especially on the radiator.

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch

Tabs for the win!

Is that the dealer price or your price to fix?

As others have said swap the relay first and see what happens. Keep an eye on the coolant level.

Last edited:
Once a plastic radiator starts to leak, it usually gets worse rapidly. Replace it.

It's code for "we're all neurotic about maintaining our vehicles and treat them better than our own bodies."

99% of the humor in this statement is its Truth

That's supposed to be used as temporary fix until you can fix it not a permanent repair. Cooling system sealers tend to make a royal mess of the rest of the system. Good luck.

My response?

NOT

MY

PROBLEM.

I did her a favor, and she can spend the money once it leaks noticeably. I may try to J-B weld the seam where it's leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back