Coolant filter (INLINE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not inline in the sense of a main hose but I use the Donadlson equivalent of the 4070. Works great in a small coolant line such as the TB on some cars or even the heater core line. No need to pay big money for a mount either, use a cheap marine fuel/water separator mount as those filters use the same 11/16 threads as coolant filters.

I have a TEFBA filter on my truck and like it. The construction is very nice. It's caught some metal chips that were floating around in system. Nice to know that they no longer are.

I am lucky that there is a hose high up in the coolant loop to put one in. There is no spilage when I open the thing. If your hose is lower than the top of the system, you will lose coolant when opening.

~$50. It's pricey, but simple, and came with a couple of spare parts as well. It uses a metal screen, like a sieve, to catch particles. The tightest screen has ~1/32" holes in it. And it does have a by-pass feature.

$58+sh is a bit steep. I went to Target, bought a $5 kitchen sifter and cut the SS mesh out of it. Molded it to fit the Radiator inlet and done. $5 and 30 min of fab; cutting SS mesh is a PITA. I've had it on for about 10 minutes, no leaks. I'll pull it in a day or so, see what it catches. The only difference between my design and TEFBAs is their is much easier to check/clean. I have to pull the hose off the Radiator inlet. i'll post back in a few days what it caught and how it's working. But i think it's going to work out just fine. I found a few sites on the net of people doing similar.

The $58 is actually including shipping, but still pricey I agree. I have found the extra opening in the line to be very useful in adding coolant and getting air out. Of course it makes it nice to check/clean the filter as well, like you said.

I like your idea though...very nice. And for $5, you can't beat it. +1 for pics!
smile.gif

had it on there for a few days now. just been driving around. car is not running any colder/hotter. I'm going to pull it in when I change my oil next. maybe end of Dec. We'll see what it gets. and I"ll snap pics and post a link to them.

Quote:

had it on there for a few days now. just been driving around. car is not running any colder/hotter. I'm going to pull it in when I change my oil next. maybe end of Dec. We'll see what it gets. and I"ll snap pics and post a link to them.

Thanks.

Pulled it off today. It's been on for about 3 weeks. Man did it catch a lot of debre!!! I was suprised being I've flushed the system a few times since I bought the car in July. Pulled quite a bit of rubbish out of the system. Very happy. However, I'm not running it anymore b/c I was getting a small leak around the hose/radiator. So I'm going to do the spin on coolant filter system in the heater lines. Wix kit or whatever. I'm convinced cooling systems need filters. Just 3 weeks and 2 tanks of gas made me a beleiver using a kitchen Siv.

I just checked my TEFBA and it continues to catch junk after I put in some RMI-25. The RMI seams to form a gel around debris and makes it easier for the filter to catch. I'd guess about half of the holes on the TEFBA fine screen were full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back