Coolant/Antifreeze?

DR1

The suggested coolant/antifreeze for my 2008 Nissan Titan is the Blue Asian Coolant. My question is this. Does it actually really matter regarding the brand name?
I have been looking at Zerex Asian Vehicle Blue Ready To Use Antifreeze, but I have also been looking at Super Tech Prediluted 50/50 Antifreeze/Coolant for Honda / Nissan / Kia / Hyundai / Subaru, Blue. Of course the better deal price wise is the Supertech. Should I spend the extra money on the Zerex or is the Supertech just as good?

Attachments

• 9972db75-eeaa-471e-b933-52f4dfa805b3.96f8fb7376b9377faaf11ffd1d9718c3.jpg
    9972db75-eeaa-471e-b933-52f4dfa805b3.96f8fb7376b9377faaf11ffd1d9718c3.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 4fa48f8c-c3bb-4f03-b6e0-4322177e0f9e.51b28ac0d8d9641b42736e8295073c6a.jpeg
    4fa48f8c-c3bb-4f03-b6e0-4322177e0f9e.51b28ac0d8d9641b42736e8295073c6a.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 12
I just recently went through all of this with both of my vehicles. (2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2018 Toyota Camry). The Jeep has a Lifetime Chrysler Maxcare Unlimited Warranty.

So I want to be careful what kind of coolant I use in it. I purchased the factory Chrysler / Toyota coolant both of the vehicles came with. It was more expensive, (I got it on Amazon), but I no longer have to be concerned about any issues regarding using the wrong type of coolant.

Your vehicle is a bit older, so the type may not be as important. I was somewhat surprised at the all but endless amounts of different types and brands of coolant that is out there today. It's like shopping for canned soup.

So it pays to take your time, and do a little research as to what's best to use. And don't be too concerned about a few dollars either way. My attitude was, when in doubt use the factory recommended coolant. That way if there are any issues that should pop up, it won't be due to using the wrong stuff.

Seems all you can do is look for the OEM spec and then determine if, say, Zerex lists their product as meeting that.

Seems all you can do is look for the OEM spec and then determine if, say, Zerex lists their product as meeting that.
What all types of specs are you talking about. I'm no rocket scientist. lol

Brand name does not matter. But formulation does. Make sure it actually matches the type that's supposed to be in your vehicle.

Nissan/Asian Blue is hybrid-OAT, free of silicates, borates, 2-EHA, amines, nitrites.
Yes. All of that I have confirmed with Nissan so it is spot on. I just didn't know if the actual brand name mattered?

FWIW---Yesterday, I found Peak OET Asian Blue 50/50 on clearance/rollback at my local Wal-Mart for $9.99/gallon. My '10 Hyundai Sonata uses blue, rather than the Asian Green, coolant, so I added a gallon to my coolant stockpile.

I agree with previous posts that the formulation is what matters, not the brand name. It would be nice if the brand you buy meets the required specification, but check if your vehicle even has a coolant spec. Many automakers require a certain formulation (e.g. non-silicate, non-borate, HOAT, etc). My Tacoma calls for the pink HOAT Toyota SLLC and I've been using the red/pink Zerex "Asian" coolant for many years with no problems. As with oil changes... the very best product is not necessary, but regular service is necessary.

That Walmart deal is really good on Asian Blue. It seems to be at all stores now, or at least every Walmart I've been to.

Reactions: DR1
FWIW---Yesterday, I found Peak OET Asian Blue 50/50 on clearance/rollback at my local Wal-Mart for $9.99/gallon. My '10 Hyundai Sonata uses blue, rather than the Asian Green, coolant, so I added a gallon to my coolant stockpile.
was this at your local store or was this price online?

Last year I bought a "xxxx" load of Zerex Asian from AAP on clearance for $7.35/gal. Are they good in seal container for 5+ years? Even with 1 drain and fill per year, I will still have a lot.

Yeah. That was an in store Roll Back. Nice though!
What was really weird was that there were identical bottles of Peak OET Asian Blue 50/50 in a nearby aisle for $35/gallon, while mine did ring up at the $9.97/gallon rollback price. Sometimes the gods of retailing bureaucracy dysfunction smile on me.

Back