2011 Mazda6 Coolant - Which type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Mazda6 i Sport - 2.5L 4cyl engine

I changed my oil today and realized my coolant is low...there is barely an left in the reservoir and I need to add some. This is what my manual says about what coolant to use for top-off:

- Use only soft (demineralized) water in the coolant mixture.
- The engine has aluminum parts and must be protected by an ethylene-glycol-based coolant to prevent corrosion and freezing.
- DO NOT USE coolants containing alcohol, methanol, borate or silicate. These coolants could damage the cooling system.
- DO NOT MIX alcohol or methanol with the coolant. This could damage the cooling system.
- Don't use a solution that contains more than 60% antifreeze. This would reduce effectiveness.

The manual states to visit the nearest Mazda dealership for them to add the proper coolant. I want to do this myself but Mazda wants $30/gallon for there coolant.
crazy2.gif

The Advance Auto website suggests Peak Long Life 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze and Coolant (1 Gallon).

Product Features:

Long Life coolant technology is formulated for use in all automobiles and light-duty trucks; OEM approved for GM, Ford, Chrysler and Honda vehicles
Provides up to 150,000 miles or 5 years of enhanced protection when a complete cooling system flush and fill is performed
Prediluted formula is ready to use
Contains no phosphates or silicates
Meets ASTM D-3306 and ASTM D-4340

Product Application(s):

2011 Mazda 6 I

Premixed with deionized water. Ideal for top off.

Would this be okay to use? I am not sure what the current coolant color is my vehicle...I THINK it is green. Does it matter what color I use? I am assuming the coolant currently in the vehicle is whatever Ford uses as my car was built in a ford factory.

If my best bet is to go to the dealership and pay 2-3 times as much for Mazda coolant because it is best I will do so because I want to take care of my vehicle but if a compatible coolant will do just fine I'd rather go with that.

For the record this is what Mazda says for cooling system maintenance: Replace at first 120,000 miles or 10 years; after that, every 60,000 miles of 5 years

It seems Mazda used a long-life coolant in there. I plan on doing a cooling system flush around 70,000 miles anyway. Thanks for the help!

edit: Google is saying Mazda uses FL-22 which is basically green Motorcraft coolant.

Last edited:
Most Mazdas will show FL-22 on the cap if this is to be used. I have used Peak Global Lifetime for new coolant after a complete flush. Other Mazdas use P/N 000-77-501E-02. This is the concentrate. It can be found for about $23.xx/ gal. You may want to check with a Ford dealer for better prices for this 2.5l ford based engine. FWIW

Oldtommy

The 0000-77-508E-20 is FL-22 and comes in a 55/45 premix, has an MSRP of US$24.94 for a gallon.

The 0000-77-501E-02 is not FL-22 and should not be mixed with FL-22 according to Mazda.

Ford has "Specialty Green" engine coolant p/n VC-10-A which is a full strength FL-22 used for a very short time in limited models. That coolant lists for US$27.59 a gallon.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The 0000-77-508E-20 is FL-22 and comes in a 55/45 premix, has an MSRP of US$24.94 for a gallon.

The 0000-77-501E-02 is not FL-22 and should not be mixed with FL-22 according to Mazda.

Ford has "Specialty Green" engine coolant p/n VC-10-A which is a full strength FL-22 used for a very short time in limited models. That coolant lists for US$27.59 a gallon.

Thanks. I could not find the Zerex Asian online however did find the FL-22 with the part number above on amazon. I figured I mind as well use the factory stuff to fake advantage of the Lon life. By the way, this car has no low level light for coolant and also no engine overheating light...but had a light for low windshield washer fluid. Go figure.

You can top if off with a little distilled water until you get the coolant, but i would probably just get the correct coolant and top off with 50/50 so you wouldn't have to worry about ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back