Cool distributor for my classics!

Also: for anyone running aftermarket electronic ignition I’d for sure carry a spare module. Where are you going to find it out on the road somewhere? I have a spare set of points & condenser on the boat with tools to change & tach/dwell meter. Yeah people laugh but it works for me!

We had 2 GM cars with that system & replaced the module once on both. Easy job if I recall right. 1975 Olds Delta 88 350-4bbl and 1978 Pontiac Le Mans 231 V6-2bbl.
I've had a pick coil go out on one, making it cut out for a second every time I pulled away from a stop (this also happened to one of my friends hei's) but it didn't leave either of us stranded. I imagine if the module ever failed it would likely just die.

I've had a pick coil go out on one, making it cut out for a second every time I pulled away from a stop (this also happened to one of my friends hei's) but it didn't leave either of us stranded. I imagine if the module ever failed it would likely just die.
Yes that’s what they do. Just die no warning.

All I had to hear was communicates to your cell phone or tablet. Just as you can be concerned about the quality of points & condensers the same can be true of aftermarket electronics. Case point; sone people love Petronix others haven’t had a good experience with it. I have a Prestolite points distributor in my old marine 4.3 Chevy V6, and at one time thought of changing it to the Petronix but decided to leave it with points. I usually get 5/6 seasons out of them before I replace them. I check dwell & timing at the start of each season & look at them to check for wear. I also have a spare points plate & centrifugal advance springs. The old tech works but it needs some not a lot of maintenance. However there are no electronic mystery boxes that when they fail leave you stranded with no warning. With a breaker points system there is warning that it needs replacement usually. That said OEM electronic ignition is usually very reliable.
This is the same argument that was made when HEI came out.

And I will say, when HEI came it was nice not to have to climb on top of your V8 Chevrolet, Olds or Pontiac to change points once a year. Buick & Cadillac had the distributor up front. And; the other benefit was spark plugs lasted twice as long. Just keep spares, then, no worries replacing the module on these is very easy, easier than points for sure. Same thing with the Chrysler and Fords systems; they are all good; but can fail with no warning.

Back