Cool distributor for my classics!

Would probably be especially nice for a boosted application if the vacuum port happens to double as a MAP sensor. That's really quite a slick setup.

Yes. Having a programmed timing advance that includes when it “falls off” and the mechanical timing simulation steps in is really nice. It’s consistent and a camshaft with tight LSA won’t be a worry with low vacuum at idle and lower operating range. Doesn’t matter as much a race only vehicles but for street cars it’s another step to make a performance engine more streetable.

That is an awesome looking product. Available for other engine families as well and you can even choose the female distributor cap. I am very interested.

Maybe it's time for me to stab a hydraulic roller and this disty in my beloved Oldsey...
What it really needs is any trans except the Junk-Away.

dont like it for same reason hei: huge cap (wont fit in some apps, looks ugly under my hood, non-oe). I have a '70 w/'69 motor, a
ford product pre ele ign. I put something called DSII in & defy any 1 from spotting the 'off application'. Is performance (pep AND MPGs).

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried all the latest MSD ignition products in my vintage cars, all daily drivers, for 15+ years. You might say I drank the MSD kool-aid and under the hoods were every top-of-the-line ignition part that MAD made.
While one of my vintage Shelby’s was on the dyno, I took a bet with a good pal of mine, a well respected local Shelby authority, that a stock restored (and recurved) original Ford AutoLite distributor would have the same performance as my fancy aftermarket ignition system, which was no slouch, great performance all the way to my self imposed red line of 6,500 rpm. I was sure the modern ignition would make more power.

I lost the bet, the stock points, with a stock condenser & coil ignition system the ‘66 GT-350 made the exact HP and torque as it did with the priciest and newest MSD equipment. And it was just as easy to start.

I like many people had been comparing a worn out points and coil system to a brand new MSD system. Hence my perception that newer is better performance wise . But when the stock distributor is in “as new” condition, with the proper advance curve, it performs perfectly.

I have no disagreement with people that tout the increased voltage that the modern systems deliver to the spark plug. The ‘60’s era system only puts out about 20,000 volts, vs double that number (or more) for the modern systems. That’s a real difference, and modern systems need to have high voltage to reliably fire off the lean mixtures mandated by todays precision fuel injection systems. But the old carburetors of 50+ years are a different story. They work just fine with less voltage at the plug. I’m

After the revealing dyno test, I ditched all my MSD equipment and reinstalled the Ford factory ignition system. The engine bay looks a lot cleaner and I had nearly a $1,000 to buy gasoline with once I’d sold all the used MSD parts.

In retrospect, I think there is a real use for the new electronic systems o a vintage car if one needs more adjustability than the stock system allows for. But with very little effort I was able to get some extra adjustments from the stock system that were there all the time, just not “advertised”.

Yes, every 7,500 miles I do have set the point gap, and adjust the dwell settings. That does take all of 10 minutes about twice a year. So not a hardship for me. But I understand if one wants a system that requires not even that much attention. Or is wanting to retrofit a modern fuel injection system. In which cases, the modern ignition systems are right for you and there are plenty of places that are happy to empty your wallet to help you out.

Admittedly, using and original ignition systems on vintage cars is often difficult due entirely to a decline in parts quality . The current quality of recently manufactured points and condensers is abysmal. The stock replacement products sold by NAPA are a notch above the rest, but overall it requires NOS or good used original parts to have a great performing stock ignition system. And these NOS parts are getting more and more scarce. The current manufacturers of points and especially condensers just don’t have the same incentive to produce quality parts as did the manufacturers back in the day.

Z

I'm agreeing widya almost entirely. Just up it one notch (right B4 TFI but that is fantastic when done right too). NO DUI or MSD ! Know plenty (I'm not 1) who get great track times, do K mi.s on circle tracks, (I do fine in SCCA) stepping up from points/condencer.

That seems like a nice product, but like others I object to the HEI appearance on a classic... if you do change it out keep the old stuff ...

I ripped all the MSD crap outta my 68 Vette and went back to points. I love my points. And yes, up to a certain point they deliver similar performance to the electronic stuff.
I do like Pertronix as a simple replacement. I have Pertronix Ignitor in my Oldsey.

The tunability of this new distributor is what intrigues me. Gas is so much different today. My 2 classics are 10 to 1 or better, with poorly designed, iron cylinder heads. The 60's ignition curves are a lousy fit. As Lars would say, "Most carb problems are distributor problems."

All I had to hear was communicates to your cell phone or tablet. Just as you can be concerned about the quality of points & condensers the same can be true of aftermarket electronics. Case point; sone people love Petronix others haven’t had a good experience with it. I have a Prestolite points distributor in my old marine 4.3 Chevy V6, and at one time thought of changing it to the Petronix but decided to leave it with points. I usually get 5/6 seasons out of them before I replace them. I check dwell & timing at the start of each season & look at them to check for wear. I also have a spare points plate & centrifugal advance springs. The old tech works but it needs some not a lot of maintenance. However there are no electronic mystery boxes that when they fail leave you stranded with no warning. With a breaker points system there is warning that it needs replacement usually. That said OEM electronic ignition is usually very reliable.

OMG I want this distributer for my 60's V8 engines. Getting vacuum advance, etc right with crappy wannabe CA 91 gas on an iron headded pig is not for the faint at heart.
Wow, that looks like something I should do to my 350 Olds. It definitely feels down on power and I haven't looked at timing and advance in years. My only worry is how exposed the module looks compared to the factory gm module that has never let me down so far.

All I had to hear was communicates to your cell phone or tablet. Just as you can be concerned about the quality of points & condensers the same can be true of aftermarket electronics. Case point; sone people love Petronix others haven’t had a good experience with it. I have a Prestolite points distributor in my old marine 4.3 Chevy V6, and at one time thought of changing it to the Petronix but decided to leave it with points. I usually get 5/6 seasons out of them before I replace them. I check dwell & timing at the start of each season & look at them to check for wear. I also have a spare points plate & centrifugal advance springs. The old tech works but it needs some not a lot of maintenance. However there are no electronic mystery boxes that when they fail leave you stranded with no warning. With a breaker points system there is warning that it needs replacement usually. That said OEM electronic ignition is usually very reliable.
My friends 72 mach 1 used to get a bouncy tach when the points needed attention. That's a pretty good warning system. I agree that quality and reliability would be a huge worry for me. I always carry an extra gm hei module and have never needed it.

We had 2 GM cars with that system & replaced the module once on both. Easy job if I recall right. 1975 Olds Delta 88 350-4bbl and 1978 Pontiac Le Mans 231 V6-2bbl.

... However there are no electronic mystery boxes that when they fail leave you stranded with no warning. With a breaker points system there is warning that it needs replacement usually. That said OEM electronic ignition is usually very reliable.
asa ford man I can dig the hybred gm 4 pin & ford's DSII (get rid of the component U don't like - the blue strain relief 'brain'). C "go fast for less dot com". Pretty sourcable, reliable, performance compliant, inexpensive, 1 in the glovie for spare & if necessary (look era correct) easy to hide.

Back