Convert 32:1 to 40:1 (2 stroke)

For those who know more about 2 stroke engines than I do, what would be the the problem with just running the mixture of 1:32 even if the engine calls for 1:40? Anything more than more smoke? Maybe some plug fouling?

For those who know more about 2 stroke engines than I do, what would be the the problem with just running the mixture of 1:32 even if the engine calls for 1:40? Anything more than more smoke? Maybe some plug fouling?
No problem at all. Maybe in 100 hours of use you would have ever so slightly more carbon buildup. If you were going from 50:1 to 32:1 you might want to adjust the mixture a teeny-tiny amount but usually it wouldn't matter.

Some OPE have cats now which will likely plug faster with more oil. My little 141 husky saw plugged up on 32:1 after ~100+ hrs, but my neighbor does OPE repair as a hobby and just ran a drill through it and it runs fine again and isn't even much louder. My trimmer has a cat too, but I only have maybe 20hrs on it, so its fine. For all my 2 stroke stuff, its 32:1 just to keep only 3 gas fuels in the shed. Straight 87, mixed 32:1 87, and mixed 32:1 93+

Last edited:
Some OPE have cats now which will likely plug faster with more oil. My little 141 husky saw plugged up on 32:1 after ~100+ hrs, but my neighbor does OPE repair as a hobby and just ran a drill through it and it runs fine again and isn't even much louder.
Probably running way too rich.

Probably running way too rich.
Um, not too bad really, it would rev scary high(until the cat plugged) and had a brown plug insulator(I like to run most things a little bit richer TBH), but only had the 50hr emissions rating sticker, so it was likely over double that.

Um, not too bad really, it would rev scary high(until the cat plugged) and had a brown plug insulator(I like to run most things a little bit richer TBH), but only had the 50hr emissions rating sticker, so it was likely over double that.
My red max weedeater that I run 40:1 in doesn't have any buildup after running it to weedeat around 3 houses every year.
As far as I can tell it's not a catalyst muffler.

Back