Conventional Gone

PXL_20210408_205838587.jpg
No, not gone

I’ve always treated hydro-cracked oil as conventional, which means most of the oils are conventional

Still surprises me when oil change places charge arm and leg for “synthetic”, which is just few dollors more and its hard to find non-synthetic oil

Well.....Not everyone has a farm/fleet store nearby lol

This is more of no longer "convenient" to find !! No local parts stores or Walmart will carry conventional( Non syn-blend) soon

Soon it'll be online only or commercial/fleet/farm stores to find any conventional oil !!

Dave
Dave
Most conventional are “blends”. Guess people will, will not, and just refuse to learn this!

Why would using an oil made from a group III base be detrimental compared to an oil made from group II or most likely group II+III? I don't get it. Oils are better than ever, why complain? There won't be any difference at all as long as it is changed on time and has the correct approval.
It’s not detrimental and there’s lots of imagination going on in this thread.

Those three groups are basically chemically identical being medium chain length paraffins.

Depends on if people do their research before buying ??? Around me their are MANY and I mean MANY mobile mechanics and they just pick up Mobil or Valvoline cause of "name brand" 😳 😳

Dave
Yes they’re getting a reputable product that has predictable characteristics. That’s what a “name brand” means.

No, not gone
Yes, gone. That is not conventional according to everyone on this topic because it states SP.

Also for the people saying that all conventional motor oil is a synthetic blend because it meets SP, I just so happened to have 5 quarts of Supertech 5w30 Conventional that I bought about 3 months ago in the toolbox of my truck and no it does not meet SP nowhere on the bottle does it state SP.

Also I have a empty Quaker State 5w30 Advanced Durability conventional jug which is what my Toyota has been running its whole 119,000 miles and nowhere on the jug does it state SP.

They only meet ILSAC GF-5, API SN PLUS, API SN and state SAE.

I am switching to Quaker State All Mileage (Synthetic blend) just to be done with it, not like the oil companies give me much of a choice now.

Along this whole thread I'm still desperately confused as to exactly what the problem is.
Pretty simple I asked a question and the question was for the most part ignored and instead everyone went on to this whole anti-conventional stuff which is not what I asked about. I do not care if what one is superior people have reasons they use it and reasons they don't.

This thread isn't "Is Synthetic better then Conventional" it was about what is happening with conventional oil and is it gone.

Pretty simple I asked a question and the question was for the most part ignored and instead everyone went on to this whole anti-conventional stuff which is not what I asked about. I do not care if what one is superior people have reasons they use it and reasons they don't.

This thread isn't "Is Synthetic better then Conventional" it was about what is happening with conventional oil and is it gone.
But why is that a problem?

And don’t think I’m one of those anti-conventional posters. I have very little interest in what constitutes an oil’s base stock composition, all I care about are the approvals, specifications or licenses the oil may have. For me that’s what defines performance and quality, the rest makes almost no difference to me whatsoever.

Pretty much all base oil in oils since the SM standard have been hydroprocessed in someway, "conventional" has been "semi-synthetic" for like the last 2 decades for the most part, the fact that they now are blending base oils that are in some way more severely hydroprocessed with the hydroprocessed oils they've already been using probably doesn't make the overall oil that much different than it's been for the last 2 decades, it just makes the oil slightly better about not forming deposits than previous formulations but overall the base oil properties of a basic tier syn blend that barely meets SP and SN "conventional" probably aren't much different, but with the new synblend you're getting an overall better oil.

I can't understand why people draw a line between conventional and synthetic when it has so little to do with the end product. Just do a research about group II vs group III. I don't know if it's a bitog thing but here in europe i've never heard anyone differentiate oils by saying conventional or synthetic. It is the grade and the spec/approvals that differentiate oils, not one of their ingredients.

Last edited:
I'm new here, so I don't know... Are you kidding or serious? On the other hand, it's not surprising "conventional" is being phased out, given that we're into the 3rd decade of the 21 century. I think even Russian people use synthetic blend in their 80s Ladas these days. Why would anyone in a 1st world country such as United States use and SEEK OUT conventional in their late 90s and onwards Fords and Chevys is quite bewildering and embarrassing. I myself have a 80s design German car, and it doesn't care about the type of oil, just viscosity. An S10 Chevy being picky between conventional, semi-synth, or synthetic? If I had chickens, even they would find it funny
That “even Russian people” statement was a bit poo poo. Just to remind you, soviets launched a human being in space this day many years ago and you talking about motor oil. Amazing

But why is that a problem?

And don’t think I’m one of those anti-conventional posters. I have very little interest in what constitutes an oil’s base stock composition, all I care about are the approvals, specifications or licenses the oil may have. For me that’s what defines performance and quality, the rest makes almost no difference to me whatsoever.
Some people have older vehicles that have been running certain oils since day one and they don't like switching there is an old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Older vehicles are more likely to have some sludge build up especially in engines which are prone to sludge such as the 1MZ-FE engine in my Toyota which has been running conventional oil that is not "SP" rated like people are talking about since day one I have the service records from the previous owner and Carfax also backs up those records. It has had oil changes every 3,000 miles it's whole life but these engines have issues with the PCV system which although mine has been maintained it still doesn't get rid of the possibility of the engine having sludge build up.

By switching to a synthetic it is obvious synthetic oils have stronger detergents and clean more which it is possible that it can break up sludge and plug up oil passages and harm the VVT it can also clean up sludge that may be preventing a leak and in return due to its cleaning capabilities cause a leak, it also flows better which can also result in slight seepage becoming an active leak.

I had a Dodge Neon before it didn't leak not a drop of oil, it was also maintained and used conventional it's whole life but one day I decided to give the Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus which is a "Premium full synthetic" and guess what happened? it started leaking from the cam and crank seals.

I have seen the same situation with multiple older vehicles not only mine but friends and family so that is the problem. These kinds of situations are reported by thousands of people as well a simple search will show this.

Back