Control Arm Bushings Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been hearing a strange sound on my 2007 Malibu with 58k miles come from the rear passenger area at slow speeds, 10mph or less. It's a hard sound to describe, not quite a clunking but maybe more of a rattle. Smmewhere in between. It also seems like the ride quality has worsened over rough roads. I'd almost guess it was a bad shock, but it's dry and not leaking and it passes the bounce test. Anyway, I took the tire off and started inspecting everying I could. I noticed some of the bushings are a little cracked but I don't know if this would cause the noise. Let me know what you guys think, I'd appreciate any input. Thanks

Here are photos of the upper control arm bushing:
Bushing
Bushing from other side

Would those cause my noise, and if not, do they look bad enough to warrant replacement? I tugged and pulled on everything, and there is no play or movement that in the suspension that could detect.

I was able to get a little movement out of the rear trailing arm, but that might be normal:
The bushing on that looks like this:

Rear Trailing Arm Bushing

Here you can see the movement when prying on it a little bit:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/OUcGyRlk6xGA3Q8y2

Have you checked the stabilizer (sway) bar bushings and endlinks on the front and rear sway bars?

Originally Posted By: chemman
Have you checked the stabilizer (sway) bar bushings and endlinks on the front and rear sway bars?

Yes, I replaced the front links (torn boots). The back ones are solid rubber and look to be in good condition. The bar bushings on the frame front and back look good too and there is no movement.

The bushings look a little tired but not torn out, look at the rear shock mount and shock bushings, use a jack to take the load off slightly when looking for play, the weight of the axle hanging can deceive. Also look at the toe link bushings.

You could have a bad shock, they bust internally at times and don't show it outwardly. They have a couple valves, one for big bumps and one for small, and can half-work and fool you. If they're cheap and easy, throw a set on.

Originally Posted By: RoGuE
maybe more of a rattle.

Check your exhaust...... could be the heat shield. Or the brake dust shield.

Get some silicone oil for those dried out bushings.

That rubber looks real dried out and oxidized. I had a similar control arm rubber squeak. One at the shock mount too. Sprayed some meguires tire foam on them as an experiment. Has anitiozinant that helps aged rubber on tires. The noise is gone and the wheel didn't fall off, so I guess that helped.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The bushings look a little tired but not torn out, look at the rear shock mount and shock bushings, use a jack to take the load off slightly when looking for play, the weight of the axle hanging can deceive. Also look at the toe link bushings.

I tried that when I had everything apart and it all seemed normal to me.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You could have a bad shock, they bust internally at times and don't show it outwardly. They have a couple valves, one for big bumps and one for small, and can half-work and fool you. If they're cheap and easy, throw a set on.

Advance Auto sells new ACDelco for around $50 a piece. It looks relatively easy to do in this car, just jack up the low control arm which the spring sits on, disconnect everything and lower it slowly. I assume that is how it would be done, I've never changed a shock before.
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: RoGuE
maybe more of a rattle.

Check your exhaust...... could be the heat shield. Or the brake dust shield.

Get some silicone oil for those dried out bushings.

Exhaust is all good, and on the drivers side.
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
The more i look at that, the more it seems loose. You try cranking on that nut?

Which nut? Nothing looked loose when I was under there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back