Continental truecontact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody have any experience with these tires? They are moderately priced but from the reviews I have seen they seem to be a real nice all season tire. Especially in wet and snowy conditions. I am not in the need for tires just yet but I was thinking these would be nice for the terrain. Good mileage warranty, quiet and comfortable and also offers good traction. What are people's opinions?

I would not consider this tire if you can get the General Altimax RT43 in the same size. It will be far superior in the snow. It is one of the best all season tires in the snow next to the Continental DWS.

We have RT43's on the GF's Matrix and they are by far the best all season tire I have driven on in terms of comfort/noise/snow performance for the money. Basically Michelins at 1/2 the cost.

Ive always had good results with the Truecontact Ive installed on clients vehicles. The General is a good option as well, but Ive always considered General to be a cheaper tire, although made by Conti. If it was me Id spring for the True, but they're both a good option.

The Conti 4x4 on my Rogue showed much sharper steering response and smoother ride over pavement irregularities than the Firestone destination LE2 I put on as replacement. The TRUE are supposed to be much better than the 4x4.

Last edited:
They are great tires. They may not be as good in the snow as General RT43s, but they will be more refined and if memory serves me correct they are rated for more mileage.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
I would not consider this tire if you can get the General Altimax RT43 in the same size. It will be far superior in the snow. It is one of the best all season tires in the snow next to the Continental DWS.

I disagree entirely; the Contis have better siping (fuller depth), and traction grooves in between the tread blocks, similar to what many snow tires use.

IMG_5570.jpg

We have Control Contact A/S on my Mom's Impala (Discount Tire version of the True Contact), and they are incredible in snow. They ride fanastically as well since they have the impact absorbing layer similar to Goodyear Comfortreads. The True Contact is now the highest rated A/S tire at Tire Rack, handly beating the RT43 in snow performance.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED tire. Probably the best tire I've used yet for a standard all season tire.

Last edited:
I considered the Conti DW as the best summer/spring/fall tire per dollar spent for my Camaro. I'd have bought them if the there wasn't a great deal on BFG Comp 2's at the time. I can only imagine that the Conti DWS or True Contacts are great tires too.

Thanks everybody for the imput. We are thinking of trading in the Malibu for a 2014 Equinox (mom's car.) It might have about 25-40k miles so I figure the OEM tires (Michelin Latitudes) might be close or spent when she gets the vehicle. Sounds like the Contis are worth it.

I considered the Conti DW as the best summer/spring/fall tire per dollar spent for my Camaro. I'd have bought them if the there wasn't a great deal on BFG Comp 2's at the time. I can only imagine that the Conti DWS or True Contacts are great tires too. And Town Fair Tire in New England carries the Continentals. When I was considering a set of them they offered a 30 day trial on them. If I didn't like them I could have returned them towards another set of tires.

The tire reviews from Consumer Reports gives high marks to the RT43 in snow and also in ice braking. They rank right up there with the Michs. Plus with those tires on the Camry I think they're hard to beat.

I had true contacts on my impala and they were amazing in wet and snow. U could do 70 on a wet road and u felt like u were a dry pavement. They were a beast tire in the snow with great traction. When my factory pro contacts wear out on my malibu I'm going to get the true contacts.

We have RT43's on the GF's Matrix and they are by far the best all season tire I have driven on in terms of comfort/noise/snow performance for the money. Basically Michelins at 1/2 the cost.

And General tire is owned by Continental as value brand. Now tell me why would Continental use better compound and structure in THEIR cheaper product?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

I disagree entirely; the Contis have better siping (fuller depth), and traction grooves in between the tread blocks, similar to what many snow tires use.

IMG_5570.jpg

We have Control Contact A/S on my Mom's Impala (Discount Tire version of the True Contact), and they are incredible in snow. They ride fanastically as well since they have the impact absorbing layer similar to Goodyear Comfortreads. The True Contact is now the highest rated A/S tire at Tire Rack, handly beating the RT43 in snow performance.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED tire. Probably the best tire I've used yet for a standard all season tire.

Of course it is better then General since Continental owns General Tire.
That would be same if Bridgestone makes better Firestone model then Bridgestone model, and charges less.

I'm pleased with the Contitrue contacts I have on a Camry. 205 65 15. This latest snow made me realize how good they are.

Last edited:

IMG_5570.jpg

Your picture is of the "PureContact" line not ControlContact ...
I would know, I have them on my Accord.

Here are the ControlContact varieties
t_20150312.conhzd.trd.jpg

t_20150312.conpt3.trd.jpg

882207_1.JPG

I have the tire on the MGM, with the traction control and 1 or 2 gear I was able to climb some serious rural steep roads with light fresh snow on them. The car slowed to a crawl but kept solid footing. Pedal to the metal but only going 5Mph. This is a rwd car. I saw some trucks off the road.

That being said they are wearing faster than expected. at 22k miles they are down to the 7s. Even so they are a great tire. Very confident in the rain.

Another issue is slight vibrations on certain roads at certain speeds. I had them balanced twice (not roadforce). Wheels visually checked but I can't rule out slight runout or older bushings. I changed calipers and rotors (my pads were wearing diagonally) and there is much improvement. Had prior pulsation while braking. This is a car with 170K miles and original rubber bushings, that don't have play but could be dry rotted. I don't want to blame the tire. A ford dealer where I got the tires tried it and said it is not worse than some new stuff on the lot.

Last edited:
I had T rated 205/70/15 General Altimax RT43 on the beater Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight before it blew up. Only put about 5,000 miles on it. No complaints for any conditions encountered in the single year of use. Would purchase again.

Have H rated 225/60/16 Continental TrueContact on the Subaru currently. Maybe 9,000 miles on them currently. Fine in dry, acceptable in wet, great in deep snow, more slippery in slushy conditions than I'd prefer but they are all-seasons.

Personally, I'd purchase whatever you got the better deal on. The Continentals will likely last longer but both seem to be good budget performers.

I have had 10 I believe of the Altimax, very happy with them. The Conti is probably even better. Win win.

I agree.
I have ~22K on my Control Contacts on my 2013 Dodge GC. Excellent tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back