Considering Supertech 0W20 1Dexos Gen 2 SN+ for the new GMC GDI Turbo ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Don't feed the troll

Yeah, awful shame someone let triplese7en back to make up stuff and spread misinformation

Yeah, he definitely likes to hear himself talk!!!

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Don't feed the troll

Yeah, awful shame someone let triplese7en back to make up stuff and spread misinformation

Off his meds again?🤔

Originally Posted by JLTD
Did you guys read my post?

yep...and that's malarkey too......you really think using supertech all it's life will yield (hypothetically now) engine A 200k and engine B (with premo of the crop) 250k-275k of useful life..

Originally Posted by earthbound

yep...and that's malarkey too......you really think using supertech all it's life will yield (hypothetically now) engine A 200k and engine B (with premo of the crop) 250k-275k of useful life..

I was more noting the fact that there was only 777 bashing, and am attempting to keep the thread on topic.

Apparently I didn't make myself clear. Take 2 identical vehicles. Put City Star in one, PP in the other. CS is a horrible oil and I know it doesn't meet specifications; however it suffices as a tool to clearly demonstrate the situation. The CS vehicle's engine will wear much faster than the PP engine, and therefore the PP engine will last much longer. If, and note I say IF there is a disparity in the protection provided by two different oils, one engine will wear faster and therefore not last as long. How much longer is anyone's guess so to answer your question - no, I can't put a number on it.

Perhaps you didn't understand my example, from actual UOAs, where M1 produced more than twice the iron of other oils tested. Are you telling me that won't make a difference, ANY difference, in longevity?

In the CS vs PP example above, it would be a huge difference. In choosing any two oils that meet the certifications, there may be a lesser difference in measurable wear, or there may not. But IF there is, then one oil will cause that engine to wear more quickly and therefore not last as long. We've seen a disparity in wear metals in the same engine using different oils, and comments such as "that's not a good report, it's obvious your engine doesn't like xxx oil". Only a fool would continue to use the oil that gives them the worst UOAs.

And you obviously haven't read the threads about longer OCIs causing less wear than shorter OCIs. Please do.

Unfortunately at the end of the day, there's no hard data that indicates just how much this theoretical difference in wear would be, nor is there any data I've seen that indicates that a certain aggregate ppm of iron/copper/aluminum spells the end of any particular engine. But it's an interesting topic of discussion if one can open one's mind to the concept.

Supertech syn meets the specs in many cases for 10k ocis. That's longer than the vast majority of people here run m1 ep.

I'm trying to justify the switch for my vehicles to supertech 5w30. In reality though I've already invested uoas into M1 0w40 so id be negating any cost savings getting another series of uoas done. More to come

To the OP- you'll have zero problems following your plan that you couldn't encounter with any other oil meeting specs. Keep it simple like you're planning and as long as it's maintained that's all you can do.

Originally Posted by earthbound

I was more noting the fact that there was only 777 bashing, and am attempting to keep the thread on topic.

Apparently I didn't make myself clear. Take 2 identical vehicles. Put City Star in one, PP in the other. CS is a horrible oil and I know it doesn't meet specifications; however it suffices as a tool to clearly demonstrate the situation. The CS vehicle's engine will wear much faster than the PP engine, and therefore the PP engine will last much longer. If, and note I say IF there is a disparity in the protection provided by two different oils, one engine will wear faster and therefore not last as long. How much longer is anyone's guess so to answer your question - no, I can't put a number on it.

Perhaps you didn't understand my example, from actual UOAs, where M1 produced more than twice the iron of other oils tested. Are you telling me that won't make a difference, ANY difference, in longevity?

In the CS vs PP example above, it would be a huge difference. In choosing any two oils that meet the certifications, there may be a lesser difference in measurable wear, or there may not. But IF there is, then one oil will cause that engine to wear more quickly and therefore not last as long. We've seen a disparity in wear metals in the same engine using different oils, and comments such as "that's not a good report, it's obvious your engine doesn't like xxx oil". Only a fool would continue to use the oil that gives them the worst UOAs.

And you obviously haven't read the threads about longer OCIs causing less wear than shorter OCIs. Please do.

Unfortunately at the end of the day, there's no hard data that indicates just how much this theoretical difference in wear would be, nor is there any data I've seen that indicates that a certain aggregate ppm of iron/copper/aluminum spells the end of any particular engine. But it's an interesting topic of discussion if one can open one's mind to the concept.

No it's not of much interest if at all. UOA's are not a wear measurement tool. Also you have ignored my post. Blenders can not state their product is the best oil. Terms like unsurpassed and up to because in reality the "superior" performer can not be quantified.

Dave, sorry if it seems I ignored you...I think you mean this post:

Originally Posted by dave1251
I've used it in my 5.3. It's a good oil.

I agree that ST is a very good oil and would not hesitate to use it, and am not denigrating it to any extent. I have used it in the past and have been considering using it when my Amsoil/Schaeffer's stockpile is used up.

I also recall a guy a few years back that used it for 5k in a Chrysler minivan and had over 200k miles with great UOAs and no issues, so ST obviously does the job.

The potential differences in wear and longevity as I stated, are theoretical. We don't actually know how much more distance an engine could run. If I hit the lotto I'll buy several identical vehicles, hire a guy to put them on a set of treadmills, and experiment. But until that time - with no hard data - it is pretty much a topic of discussion.

All I'm saying is: the possibility exists.

Yes oil could and will make a small difference but a filter will make a bigger difference.
Use a very high grade oil and a cheap filter your not gaining anything.
All oil gets contaminants in it, that will wear stuff out faster than the difference of super tech and mobil 1

OCI's on this car will be 5000 miles. Short Trip City with my wife, her work is only 6 miles away and most all her driving is shorties. I think it's more important for her driving style to change more frequently with a middle of the road Grp III synthetic than do longer intervals with a more expensive extended drain oil.

Not concerned about the theory of additive stripping with more frequent oil changes, that possibility is eliminated if one sticks with the same brand and product line. Fresh fill of exact same oil containing same additive chemistry will not dilute, strip, or clash with the additive chemistry of it's own self that's already setup through the engine.

I'll be using OEM AC Delco filters on it.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
OCI's on this car will be 5000 miles. Short Trip City with my wife, her work is only 6 miles away and most all her driving is shorties. I think it's more important for her driving style to change more frequently with a middle of the road Grp III synthetic than do longer intervals with a more expensive extended drain oil.

Not concerned about the theory of additive stripping with more frequent oil changes, that possibility is eliminated if one sticks with the same brand and product line. Fresh fill of exact same oil containing same additive chemistry will not dilute, strip, or clash with the additive chemistry of it's own self that's already setup through the engine.

I'll be using OEM AC Delco filters on it.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by tblt44
Yes oil could and will make a small difference but a filter will make a bigger difference.
All oil gets contaminants in it, that will wear stuff out faster than the difference of super tech and mobil 1

It's getting pretty hard to find bad filters these days. Next to the supertech oil are supertech filters for less than 3$. Champ ecores...same filters as ac-delco.

Originally Posted by tblt44

Nope. The most important filter is the air filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back