Considering a Timemaster

Does anyone own a newer Toro Timemaster (223cc engine) that can chime in with general thoughts? My property is 1/3 of an acre, and it currently takes me an hour start to finish to mow with my 21" deck including blowing the driveway and sidewalks at the end. I'm considering the Timemaster hoping it can shave off at least 20 minutes of time. I mulch almost exclusively, and only bag the first cut and last couple of cuts every season to collect debris. My questions are:

-Is the B&S 223 a solid engine? I currently have a GCV160 on a Troybilt deck so I'm sad to lose the bulletproof Honda motor
-How often do the belts end up going? I don't have an issue doing a seasonal replacement if needed as they look to be cheap
-I've heard it has issues with clogging, but I assume that's with wet grass? I never mow when wet and mow at least weekly, sometimes every 5 days so it's never unruly in length
-My understanding is the drive system is capable of going pretty fast...my current mower is not self-propelled by choice since I'm 6'3", young and fit so I like to power walk when I mow and want to make sure I'm not being slowed down by the mower's limitations outside of the cutting/mulching in and of itself.

TIA

Does anyone own a newer Toro Timemaster (223cc engine) that can chime in with general thoughts? My property is 1/3 of an acre, and it currently takes me an hour start to finish to mow with my 21" deck including blowing the driveway and sidewalks at the end. I'm considering the Timemaster hoping it can shave off at least 20 minutes of time. I mulch almost exclusively, and only bag the first cut and last couple of cuts every season to collect debris. My questions are:

-Is the B&S 223 a solid engine? I currently have a GCV160 on a Troybilt deck so I'm sad to lose the bulletproof Honda motor
-How often do the belts end up going? I don't have an issue doing a seasonal replacement if needed as they look to be cheap
-I've heard it has issues with clogging, but I assume that's with wet grass? I never mow when wet and mow at least weekly, sometimes every 5 days so it's never unruly in length
-My understanding is the drive system is capable of going pretty fast...my current mower is not self-propelled by choice since I'm 6'3", young and fit so I like to power walk when I mow and want to make sure I'm not being slowed down by the mower's limitations outside of the cutting/mulching in and of itself.

TIA
A buddy of mine has one and LOVES it! Here is a link to his review vs. a 21" Toro Superrecycler.

He absolutely loves his Timemaster. If I could stomach the price, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

I wound up going with a Super Recycler because I have a small lawn and was able to pick one up pre-owned and not used for $350 with no bag. The Super Recycler, btw, goes super fast, if you want. The pacing system works GREAT.

count me interested for a different reason 74 YO retired + above average for my age BUT it never gets easier even wuth my great 21" honda HRX, lots of trips up my inclined yard! also considering the small riding troy models like the TB30 that costs half as much + prolly maneuvers into smaller areas as well as going thru gates

I'd buy one if I had a bigger lawn to mow. Self propelsion system is not super fast. It's more of a leisure mow.

maybe get a small commercial 33"?
whats the budget?
The shed I want to store it in has a standard door on it, so I want it to still be able to fit through the frame which means by my measurements the Timemaster is about as big as I can go. No specific number on the budget, although a $1500 Timemaster seems painful enough considering what you get.

I have a few customers with them who love them. Definitely try to avoid mowing wet grass, they mulch leaves and dry grass really well. The engine is pretty reliable, just keep the oil level full.

Eh they sure are maintenance heavy compared to any other mower I've owned. I have about 350 hours on mine and have been through probably 4 blade clutch cables @ $60/ piece. belts pulleys etc

PXL_20210901_230031018.jpg

Love my TM. Overkill for my ~8k sq ft lawn but I'm done in about 25 mins. I only average about 25 hrs a season. I prefer the personal pace system too.

One of the major things everyone seems to report as a failure is the plastic pulleys for the belt system. You can upgrade them to the exmark pulleys.

Covid pricing has really jacked these up.

View attachment 137956

Love my TM. Overkill for my ~8k sq ft lawn but I'm done in about 25 mins. I only average about 25 hrs a season. I prefer the personal pace system too.

One of the major things everyone seems to report as a failure is the plastic pulleys for the belt system. You can upgrade them to the exmark pulleys.

Covid pricing has really jacked these up.
Thanks, yeah I'm aware of the Exmark parts upgrade and would plan to do it when needed.

For $400 more you can get a 30” rider … Very simple machine …
The 30" rider would take longer than a Timemaster, especially for a yard with lots of obstacles. I love those Snapper rear engine riders with the handlebar steering, they are bullet proof. I had a customer bring one in for repair and I tested it on my front lawn. Due to the turning radius and small deck it seemed to take way longer than it would've with a push mower. It felt like I kept going in circles. :LOL:

as far as a walk behind rear drive bagger Hondas hydrostatic is GREAT + no chute means NO clogs with wet grass like the snapper i last had! too bad Honda mowers are being discontinued!! their double blades cut great + moving the lever closed the rear door for mulching, i had bought it before the internet tax in 98!!

The Timemaster is just an superb mower besides being a 30" mower. Because it has 2 blades it has a belt for the blades which obviously a single blade mower does not need. Not a big deal.

You will love letting go of the mower to pick a rock or dog bone in the lawn and have the blades stop but not the engine.

And going forward or backward by just push the handle or pull it.

I think it's one of the best mowers I have owned. And it's the first Toro I have owned.

Buy Toro belts, the aftermarket ones suck.

The Timemaster is just an superb mower besides being a 30" mower. Because it has 2 blades it has a belt for the blades which obviously a single blade mower does not need. Not a big deal.

You will love letting go of the mower to pick a rock or dog bone in the lawn and have the blades stop but not the engine.

And going forward or backward by just push the handle or pull it.

I think it's one of the best mowers I have owned. And it's the first Toro I have owned.

Buy Toro belts, the aftermarket ones suck.
+1 on buying only the Toro belts. The aftermarket belts will only last a fraction of the time.

Has OP picked up a mower yet? For the price of a new timemaster you could get a used turfmaster. They’re much more stout but can be underpowered if you get an older one with the fj180v. I’d even consider a used 32” commercial walk behind if it can fit.

Back