Considering a newer car. 2 picks, your opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering upgrading from the Sat, I have to drive so much and I'm just not sure how much longer she'll put up with it.

Some of you may or may not know, Im a Nissan lover..

There are 2 cars I'm interested in, but just can't figure out which one I like better. Theyre both pretty hard to find, but within 2 hours of me, there are a couple of each in 5 speed trans.

The 2 cars are:

2000-2001 Nissan Sentra SE2.0 w/performance package
3917280005_large.jpg

2000-2001 Nissan Altima SE
E4CD5461-AD7A-4F7E-A11F-D89E4E48F7A2_1.jpg

As you can see, they even share the same wheels.. Haha

The SE2.0 has the venerable SR20DE and the Altima has the KA24.

I think I like the interior of the Altima better, but the SE2.0 would be a fun revver...

Both around the same price range FWIW.

Thoughts?

do you travel with people? more than 2? the altima will have more space and ride smoother. (I had one from that era - certainly nice enough) but, I would choose the sentra for its "fun to drive" quotient and possibly better MPG. (that part is only a guess)

I think I actually prefer the look slightly of the Altima too.. I just really like the idea of the SR20 in the Sentra. I found a black on black Altima SE 5MT for $4k cert. I might arrange to check it out.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
the best part is: there's no loser in the group!

Hard to go wrong with a Nissan. Only one I'm not fond of is the early QR25 found in the SE-R Sentras and the Altima.

Other than that, KA solid, SR solid :D

Man that`s a tough decision! I`d have to drive both and then make my choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Sentra. The 2.0 is bulletrproof, and powerful for it's size.

Originally that's why I wanted the SE2.0, however the 2.4 in the Altima is also a great engine with a really long track record in North America too.

The 2.4 has more torque, the SR20 revs higher, its a very tough call. That is why I created this thread!

The car I originally loved more was the SE2.0, but I really like that generation of Altima in the SE trim.

I just like smaller cars, so I'd go for the Sentra. It'll most likely have tigher handling, and better 'feel' than the Altima, which is most likely geared for a smoother, comfortable ride.

Altima, definitely. It's a much nicer car all around. The Sentra is a bit spartan, for the lack of a better word, but I guess it has its pluses too - less things to break.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Altima.

Those Sentra's were notorious for blowing headgaskets.

I'm not afraid of that SE2.0 and headgaskets at all, the SR20 is a great engine and to be honest I've not heard of any headgasket issues at all with that engine.

The reason I narrowed down to these 2 cars is because they're both relatively problem free and well rounded. :D

You did not say if this a commute car or a car for your family too.

Sure the Sentra will be way more fun to drive (Speeding tickets?), so if it is just for your commute it would be a good choice.

But if you have a family to take care of, a reasonable choice would be the Altima.

I don't have a family to take care of, but I do like nicely appointed and comfortable cars that are still sporty (its my favorite type of car)

My previous car before my Saturn was an 02 Altima 3.5SE manual trans.. I loved that car, but doing school again forced me to sell.

That is why this generation Altima makes sense to me, its still nice and comfy, but is small enough to be good on gas. (relatively speaking at least)

But yes, the SE2.0 would be more fun overall for sure.

It's a tough call. Seen both cars, same years, both for around $4k CAD each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back