Considering a Cobalt or Ion - Thoughts??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my Saturn ~2.5 yrs now. Only time it was in the shop was for a smog. Everything else is easy DIY and preventative maintenance so far. Parts are easily found online. I would never buy a used car based on 'dealership' network.

OP: go with any, just take the best example you can find.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Cobalt would be my choice. Solid and durable. Chevy dealers are still around when needed, Saturn...not so much.

Well, any GM dealer should be able to handle the Saturn. GM was just changing the badge on the Saturns in the end so it is not an overly "unique vehicle" mechanically.

My wife has owned her 2010 Cobalt since new, and we have had no problems with it. We get around 25mpg with the 2.2L/auto setup. It is not a fun car, but it has been dead reliable and is looks easy to work on. I have only done oil changes to it, but most maintenance items look to be easy.

I would go for the Cobalt.

....because I hate that center stack instrument cluster.
crackmeup2.gif

Just drive one at night and count how many times you try to turn the headlights on from not seeing the instrument cluster lit up in front of you. Just darkness where the speedo goes on most cars.

I have an 2006 Cobalt coupe. It's an okay car....not a fan of longer distances in it. My 10 year old J body rides and handles better the the Balt.

That being said, besides a few annoying little issues, it has been rock solid other than that. Basically tires and oil changes so far.
I planning a few updates for it...maybe even a few that make it a little more fun....

Good buddy has an 0 Ion....between the two, I'd get the Balt based on looks.

Cobalts and '05+ Ions are good if the power steering recall has been done.

Sometimes they do have issues with either the accelerator pedal position sensor or the electronic throttle body itself. Easy fixes, but you need to be flexible to replace the pedal position sensor.

You will need a shallow 32mm socket for the oil filter housing. You can get them at parts stores, and probably Sears. Lisle makes one specifically for the Ecotec. Drain plug is 15mm, and the capacity is 5 quarts even, so it's a straightforward oil change.

As for model years, newer would be better.

Originally Posted By: supton
Didn't the Ions have problems with ignition switches too? I recall looking at them, and it wasn't long before the reviews indicated that they were not a step up from the S series.

The ION, Cobalt, and HHR had the same kind of switch, and every single one of them was garbage. I had to pay $500 to get the entire thing replaced. 1 year later, the dealer had to replace it again, but at least it was covered by the service department's warranty. The units all loked different, but all were still junk.

They shouldn't make them out of zinc.

There is no upgraded aftermarket part that I know of, you will get stuck with the same stupid part from the dealer.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

You will need a shallow 32mm socket for the oil filter housing. You can get them at parts stores, and probably Sears. Lisle makes one specifically for the Ecotec. Drain plug is 15mm, and the capacity is 5 quarts even, so it's a straightforward oil change.

The horror freight 1.25 inch impact socket works as well. They sell them individually and for only a few bucks with the right coupon stacking. They may not even know why they're selling so many individual sockets.
lol.gif

Yeah, I have a cheap 1/2 inch drive socket from Autozone that removes Ecotec filters. Some people try to use pliers, but after a few uses, it destroys the filter cap.

My 2005 Ion was a very good little car but I hated the seats...the headlights weren't great either.

Originally Posted By: pbm
My 2005 Ion was a very good little car but I hated the seats...the headlights weren't great either.

Headlights were rough on those...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back