Considering a career change, picking up a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
If you are near the oil industry, become a welder.

Tuff on the body but worth the money?

I know a former welder. He was working mostly in highrise construction for over 20 years. He retired in his early 50s, because of various work-related health issues. Based on what he has told me, and based on the wrecked body he has, I'd ask, how much is your health worth to you?

hotwheels

I've made quite a comfortable career out of welding. 6 figure income, home every night, excellent pension, 401k, great health/dental insurance, 5 weeks vacation a year (soon to be 6). I've only been at my current job coming up on 5 years but been in my trade since I graduated high school. The first 13 or so years was tough on me and I've got some wear and tear to show it but where I'm at now is like a retirement home. I'll most likely retire out of this place (I'm 35 now)

Trades are in demand and you can make some dam good money if your good at what you do. Everybody wants to go to college but the truth is most people that spend 6 yrs going to school and rack up thousands upon thousands in debt come out of school and can't make what a skilled tradesman can make. My wife is a perfect example. I put her through a very expensive nursing program. She has her bachelors RN license and makes more than the average RN (works as a case manager) yet I still make substantially more than her. I worked countless hours of overtime paying for her books, tuition, etc. while she went to school. She loves what she does so I count it as a success but going to school isn't the only way to make a good living.

I have heard that there is going to be a shortage of trades in the next 6-10 years. Plumbers, HVAC, electricians are already facing shortages and prices are going up. Hitting a trade now maybe a great idea especially since there is a shortage. As others have mentioned- too many went to college when some should have gone into a trade.

^^^^Yep, its already happening. A friend of mine who had been involved in residential HVAC for years up and closed up shop and started doing commercial HVAC up in Cleveland. He is friends with the owner of a general contractor and he promised him more work than he could handle, he was hurting that bad for a competent HVAC contractor that he could count on to be there when needed. So he went all in. Had to make some big investments to get started as he went from 3 service vans and 5 employees to 14 employees to start with and a ton of equipment but boy has it ever paid off. He went from making a comfortable living to down right lavish. Big home and property, fancy cars, new truck paid in cash every 2 years, vacations a couple times a year, more motorcycles and dirt bikes and side by sides than he knows what to do with. Dont get me wrong, he does put in some crazy long hours when hes got a big job going on. But in between jobs he can afford to enjoy life. And he's accomplished it with a high school education and the willingness to get his hands dirty.

Last edited:
That is a very good way to look at it! We've gained decent equity in our house, and are ahead (although slightly) financially. I'm thankful for that. I've never been money hungry, but we do need some of it! I know that, I miss the lakes and trees. I miss people living for any other reason than money and massive trucks.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I have an AutoCAD certificate, a Graphics Diploma Associates level and a Mechanics Diploma (same deal).

It is post secondary my diplomas, I can compete well enough to find jobs but I am in no way going to be able to buy another new car after the Fit is gone (bought with Calgary money LOL).

I want to come clean, and to help you out truly, and do a little reveal on this site:

I am where I am in life from the 3 years that I lived in Calgary. The windfalls and financial gains from when I moved out there, put me ahead that I can cope living in Montreal making very modest salary.

Hang in there in Calgary and try to enjoy other aspects of life.

I miss hunting in Kananaskis Country and actually SEEING jackrabbits.

The hunting and skiing out East is HORRIBLE!!! I didn't even see ONE rabbit this Winter!!

Originally Posted By: ryan2022

I've been doing Mechanical design/ Engineering work for almost 12 years. I'm just frustrated with the desk work and the vague results, and my ability to find interesting work now that we're living in Alberta. It seems like if you're in the field and aren't in oil the jobs are scarce and the pay is low.

Ryan, have you considered more of a field job in the oil realm?

I've been a production tech in the petro/hydro chem business for 18yrs and couldn't imagine doing anything else for a living. We make liquid hydrogen and liquified (cryo) atmospheric gasses.

Lots of action. Tons of thinking, troubleshooting and planning, yet not too physically taxing aside from shift work and bouts of long hours.

The good HVAC guys I know got sick of the work(it can get yucky and uncomfortable in basements/cellars and hot attics etc) into tech support and training at Buderus(Bosch).

Originally Posted By: tdpark
I have heard that there is going to be a shortage of trades in the next 6-10 years. Plumbers, HVAC, electricians are already facing shortages and prices are going up. Hitting a trade now maybe a great idea especially since there is a shortage. As others have mentioned- too many went to college when some should have gone into a trade.

+1. I was a CNC programmer and since the economy is up, i see tons of unfilled jobs in the southern new england area.

How much does CNC pay ?

There are programmers, set up guys and operators

Programming is usually a salary position; i was on salary with overtime. In my area this is a 55K-80K / year job now; I'm not in that industry any more.

Set up guys made over $17/hour and the operators from $7/hr to $13 and that was 16 years ago. It is highly dependent on company, area of country and what one is making (product line) Plenty of OT for those guys.

Set up guys prove out the programs I've written and dial in the fixtures and tool lengths. This is a position of machining experience; it is not a 'go to school' job

Operators push buttons, change tools, measure parts, make adjustments. Our operators ran two machines @ the same time; our cycle times were 30 minutes or more to finish 1 operation. this is where starters start until aptitude is shown.

We did machining for medical implants and aerospace airfoils (blades and vanes).

The place I worked did bar stock to finished product all in house with 100 employees; machining; fixture design, inspections, even sharpening our own cutters. "The MOST" skilled people I have ever worked with

I worked @ my previous job primarily for opportunity, not $$. They did send me to numerous training trips; philosophy towards workers can vary by company. Some companies [censored] on workers, others do not. Plan to move around.

Last edited:
Thanks again guys.

I'm honestly sleeping on this for two weeks. I'm still contracting, and will make the decision at that point.

Thanks again for everyones feedback. I appreciate it.

Given the distance here and I only know what you've written, I may be off track or way off track. With that in mind, is there a way you can shift your perspective regarding your work? For instance, I've heard of some that don't expect their daily work to fulfill them by itself. They use it to fund the hobbies, or other interests they really do like. Sort of like a work version of the saying 'some people live to eat while others eat to live.'

Others decide to learn as much as possible about the ins & outs of the company they work for, see it as a research project or detective work. They turn it into sort of a 'inner-game' to offset getting into a rut, getting bored, doing the same old-same old. Barbara Sher talked about tactics like this in some of her books, so has John Crystal, Richard Bolles, and Tom Jackson.

There is an on-line guide, put out to help returning vets integrate into the workforce. It's very good for everyone, particularly for the younger adults who are looking for some sort of guide, with a direction to follow. It's called the Transition Assistance Program (TAP). Here's the link You might discover something of interest there, or perhaps it will stimulate further thinking or result in a few "Wow...I never thought of that before" moments.

One thing that has amazed me about plumbers is that they show up to jobsite and lay all of that pipe & risers with only references to the corners, which are usually just stakes pounded in the ground. After all, there is no foundation yet. It hasn't been poured. The pipe has to go in first. They're down in the beams and everything has to be tight, sealed and in the right place at closer than an inch, as their work is then buried in rebar and concrete. IOW's, it's set! Then everything else is built around it.

Change orders after-the-fact are quite expensive and disruptive as a jack hammer is usually involved! One reason among many why kitchen & bath remodeling is quite expensive.

Good luck and keep us posted!

In this day and age, one shall not consider staying on 1 particular career field (unless you are in the mgmt level such as CEO, CTO or certified financial officer of some sort). Chances are: you may ended up changing jobs (more than once) in your career lifetime.

In my case: I already made a drastic move (away from staying on as a mechanic) into IT field, and never look back since. As a F/T IT guy working 9 to 5, I have my pension, my regular family life, a decent living, minimal load, bright career path future, subsidy for schooling/recertification, etc. On weeknites and weekends (flexible), I work on cars, audio design/development and vintage audio repairs, etc.

I have many disciplines and backgrounds, diverse enough to keep myself and my family afloat even in worse times. While I may not ascend to become an expert in a very narrow career field, I have the freedom to jump to other areas if I have to, when I have to.

That's the beauty of being "flexible".

Q.

Thanks a lot fellas. Sorry, just returning to this post now.

I agree on the flexibility thing. I admire people that work in different field throughout their career. I makes things interesting.

I'm going to work at something physicial. I have a lot in the air right now with applications out. I'll post back when things settle.

Thanks again.

I've considered becoming an electrician. But that particular field requires about four years worth of experience at just over minimum wage (8000 hours total) to get to the journeyman level where you can make decent money. Not appealing given that I'd be picking that up around 40 years old.

Thanks a lot fellas. Sorry, just returning to this post now.

I agree on the flexibility thing. I admire people that work in different field throughout their career. I makes things interesting.

I'm going to work at something physicial. I have a lot in the air right now with applications out. I'll post back when things settle.

Thanks again.

You want physical try rough carpentry. I can assure you good framers are lean,strong and the job demands a certain finesse.
Try using a sledgehammer and gooseneck to shimmy a 16' tall,60' long wall into place when the floor isn't level making to top span a little big too fit.

Answer.
Bow the centre making the whole span shorter thus the wall fits.

Thanks a lot guys. It means a lot to get so many well thought answers. I appreciate it.

I'm going to filter through this.

I have the equivalent of an associates degree I believe. It's an Engineering Technologists Diploma. 3 yr + 1 yr design introductory course. It's a bit different here in the North.

So you're not a real, licensed, engineer in Canada. Check.

Sorry to sell you some tough-love partner, but my dad, Master Engineer, calls you "technologists" a "joke to the industry and the regulatory body".

Seriously, as one guy to another, enjoy that you have a decent paycheck, enjoy being in your own bed every night, enjoy a decent salary, and relish that you zero actual real liability should you screw something up on a drawing. Enjoy that your whole "technologist" half-truth wasn't outlawed as a whole back in the early 2000's.
smile.gif

firemachine69,

That was a little harsh, no need to put the guy down. He never claimed to be a licensed engineer.

Absolutely some truth to that. But I see him as making almost the same mistake as myself, "the grass is greener on the other side". He's got it really good, and deep down he's doubting himself (but not sure why). I just called it like it was. Guessing he probably is a really good worker, but it doesn't relieve any of the points I posted about his current employment v.s. going elsewhere. Sometimes it sucks to hear the truth, and frankly I wish I would have really rethought my entire career change at this (later) stage of my life.

20/20 in hindsight, of course.
wink.gif

The man lives in Calgary, and last I was there last July, things were not going too well for the oil gigs, and it was painfully obvious from even the outside looking in. It must be a disaster right now with $50 oil barrels. This is absolutely not a good time to rethink careers, at least not in that province. Again, the OP knows this I'm sure, even if he's only been living there for a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back