confused....why cold lifter tick w/new oil......

Status
Not open for further replies.
but not after oil has been in engine for over 2k miles?

I've noticed this for years; why is my engine noisey with any oil/filter for the first few minutes at start-up when the oil is new; i.e less then 2k miles.

If the oil is getting near the 2.5k mile mark, noise stops completely, even on the coldest of days and engine purrs.

I don't get it.

FWIW - engine is a 3.2L Isuzu, the good one; by that I mean it's the 1st gen sohc engine known for being very stout.

Engine is spotless internally and doesn't use oil.

I am the original owner, and as far back as I can remember, it ticks at start-up until the oil has been in the engine for over 2mnths....but only for the first 2-3 min.

I generally change the oil every 4k; but sometimes I wonder if the oil is just getting worn in at that time frame.

I noticed this issue on my old 1996 2L 4 cylinder VW Golf....once there is about 1500-2000 miles on the oil the slight tick at start up will disappear.

Weird.

No other signs of problems either.

I notice on my little 1.6l that it takes most oils about 2k miles to break in. Fuel mileage improves and lifter tick changes depending on the particular oil. Some oils actually get thicker with use...or so i'm told...m1 0w/40 is one of those.

I'm currently running m1 0w30 afe and i didn't see any mpg improvement over 0w/40 until around 2k miles but then it was almost 10% better. Judging from my oil pressure gauge, it thinned out a bit too (appeared thick for a 30wt when new). I'll run it about 10k miles without reservations.

Your izuzu will be happy with 10k miles on a good synthetic imo. I had one of thise btw...bulletproof engines they are.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Maybe too thick, shears down over time?

At least in my situation I use 10w-30, as that is what the owner's manual specifies. I have used a number of different brands and they all seem to do this.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

This is the only possible explanation.

Doubtful, the owners manual spec's everything from 10w-30 to 20w-50 depending upon climate; with recommendations of nothing less then a prefered 40wt in temps above 20f.

I've owned it since new, always ran 10w-30 when we lived in Vegas, NV; since moving back to Colorado 10yrs ago, I've ran 5w-30 year-round.

I don't see how that could be too thick.

almost every oil ive used has done this to me. after 2-3k it will be a little noisier, then after that its a tad quieter again, kinda weird. im glad im not the only one who has heard this phenomenon of mid OCI intermittent ticks.

Great thread.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

This is the only possible explanation.

I've heard resource conserving oil is designed to thin @ around 2000 miles. Try mixing 20% 5w-20 in your next oil change.

What filter are you using?

Is it with every brand of oil?

This might sound simple, but try changing one and see what the results are. Often, a car responds differently to different filters or oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back