05 Surburban 1500 - Lifter Tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by chilson450
I just looked at my mother-in-laws Escalade with the 6.0l that I thought had either a lifter tick or exhaust leak. It made the sound when it was cold and lessened as it warmed up. I crawled under it yesterday to see if I could pinpoint where the noise was coming from. I found the plastic shield by the starter was missing the lower bolt and was rubbing on the flexplate. Just something easy to check.

I actually have a noise on that side. Going to check that out thanks for the tip.

Just to update...

Most the time it's tick but at times I'd of considered it a knock while I was driving. Never did change the oil after the water pump failure since we basically shut it down. I just didn't think it would get hot enough degrade the oil.

Since posting I've gone back to Mobil 1 High Mileage and a Mobil 1 filter and it's fixed everything. No tick, no knock, and oil pressure gauge immediately went back to the middle just under 40. I've idled it for a long time, cold starts, taken it on a 1.5 hour road trip, and it's been driven daily for 7 days in hot and cold weather here and Oklahoma and not one tick since the change back.

My conclusion is that it was most likely the oil filter...Now I have two bottles of Liquid Moly if I ever need it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back