Confused - GC (vs) Total(Elf) Quartz 9000 - 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not an ingnorant person, but after reading, pages and pages of very informative forums, I still don't have an answer to my question. I still remain confused.
The vehicles in question are listed below.
I basicallt have been running BMW "High Performance Synthetic Oil 5W30" in the Z4. What always irritated me was the "valvetrain noise" on initial startup. Most BMW owners will agree this is quite common. So I asked around and read around - and the solution was to go to a 0W30 weight for "thinner cold starting oil". Of course, after reading these forums I am now convinced that at running temp, this 0W30 is a "thick" and protects my engine as much as 5W30 (which is the preferred weight according to the manual. Before being familiarized with this site, I went on the hunt for the best oil I could find. Foreign Car Parts imports and sells, Total (Elf) Quartz 9000 0W30 Oil. It meets SL/CF A3/B3 A3/B4, as well as BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 and a long list of other specifications. I did a complete oil change, and I was absolutely astonished when on a 22 degree morning, I started the car and got about 1 to 2 seconds of valvetrain followed by smooth running. OK - so great stuff to avoid cold starts. I then proceeded to change the oil in the Jaguar (X-Type) & the C240. The Benz was running on the recomended 0W40, and the Jag, the "preferred 5W30. Seemed to shorten the valvetrain noise on the Benz a bit, and can't really notice a difference on the Jaguar.
After reading all these forums, I discovered that there was a PAO based GC oil. It is also sold abundantly in my area. So is the Elf, sorry Total Oil. Both of these meet EXACTLY the same specs, with the total oil having a dozen or so more certs.

Here are the assumptions I am making that leads to my confusion.
1) BMW LL-01 & MB 229.5"Long Life" Oils are more robust, durable and should therefore protect my engines better than Non- LL certified oils.
2) According to what I have read, when API comes out with a new spec, for example SM, It meets all the previous cert, for example, an SL oil does not meet SM, but an SM oil meets SM AND SL.

The entire problem is based around the ACEA Certifications. The owners manuals tell me to use A3/B3 SL/CF Oils only in the Jags, sames goes for the BMW but add BMW LL-01, and of course the Mercedes 229.5 cert.
As much as I would LOVE to run the "latest and greatest", it seems that SM is associated with ACEA a5/B5, or A1/B1 but NOT the A3/B4 I need in my vehicles. I plan on running 0W30 year round.I understand that German Castrol & This Elf/Total stuff are comparable and am swaying to the GC simply because it is confirmed to be a PAO based syn - BUT Mobil 1 is also a great PAO oil, and it offers a 0W30 grade, in their Advanced Fuel Economy Product, but it is NOT BMW LL-01 or MB 229.5 Cert, and is an A1/B1, SM oil - which is NOT what my manual recommends.I realize the answer is simply use the GC oil, or the Elf/Total if you like it.
The impression I get is that, SM is OK, but A1/B1 isn't. and Oh my Gosh avoid A5/B5 at all cost, because.... well something about the cats...Well, if SL is A3/B3/B4, and SM is also "SL improved" why isn't SM oil A3/B3 or B4 Long Life or MB 229.5 certfied? Why is A1/B1 or A5/B5 harmful to my engines?
... and a small note, I have been running SM Castrol Edge 5W30 in the Supercharged Jaguar all along - no problems, and now realize it calls for SL A3/B3/B4.
My goal is simple: I want my oil to "get up there" as fast as possible on cold starts and to protect my engine when it's 110 degrees outside, and I decide to redline the supercharged one. I keep my cars, but demand quite a bit from them.
... and one more thing - please don't give me specs on AMSOIL. I am familiar with the product, but wish to limit my question to Castrol, Mobil & Total/Elf Quartz 9000 0W30 grade only, please. Unless, of course there is another 0W30 around.

There are other 0w30s, such as Redline 0w30 and Renewable Lubricants 0w30, for example. Pentosin also has a 0w30.

Originally Posted By: BritGerCarLuvr

As much as I would LOVE to run the "latest and greatest", it seems that SM is associated with ACEA a5/B5, or A1/B1 but NOT the A3/B4 I need in my vehicles. I plan on running 0W30 year round.I understand that German Castrol & This Elf/Total stuff are comparable and am swaying to the GC simply because it is confirmed to be a PAO based syn - BUT Mobil 1 is also a great PAO oil, and it offers a 0W30 grade, in their Advanced Fuel Economy Product, but it is NOT BMW LL-01 or MB 229.5 Cert, and is an A1/B1, SM oil - which is NOT what my manual recommends.

Why are you so hung up on that 0w-30 grade?
SM is not associated with ACEA A5 nor A1. Basic requirement for ACEA A3 is for the HT/HS to be at least 3.5 cP. Most Xw-30 oils are energy conserving oils, which means their HT/HS is much lower, and as such will never meet ACEA A3.

If you want it all (API SM, ACEA A3, LL-01, 229.5), then M1 0w-40 is your answer. I don't see a problem running it in any of your vehicles.

By the way,
welcome2.gif

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

You seem to be worried that because those oils are API SL instead of API SM, they are somehow not the latest or greatest. This is not the case. API SM isn't just about performance; it also requires reduced levels of certain anti-wear additives, which might hinder those oils' abilities to meet the far more stringent OEM test specs. Suffice it to say that BMW LL-01 and (even more so) MB 229.5 are far tougher specs than API SM.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

As much as I would LOVE to run the "latest and greatest", it seems that SM is associated with ACEA a5/B5, or A1/B1 but NOT the A3/B4 I need in my vehicles. I plan on running 0W30 year round.I understand that German Castrol & This Elf/Total stuff are comparable and am swaying to the GC simply because it is confirmed to be a PAO based syn - BUT Mobil 1 is also a great PAO oil, and it offers a 0W30 grade, in their Advanced Fuel Economy Product, but it is NOT BMW LL-01 or MB 229.5 Cert, and is an A1/B1, SM oil - which is NOT what my manual recommends.

If you want it all (API SM, ACEA A3, LL-01, 229.5), then M1 0w-40 is your answer. I don't see a problem running it in any of your vehicles.

By the way,
welcome2.gif

+1 Don't mean to be a rider but this is totally the oil that could fit all needs case closed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
There are other 0w30s, such as Redline 0w30 and Renewable Lubricants 0w30, for example. Pentosin also has a 0w30.

Thank You for your reply. Although there are surely other brands, I am trying to limit myself to these brands which I know I can purchase locally and are readilly availlable. I will, however, look at the data sheets for the other oils (which will probably confuse me even more...)

Quote:
Why are you so hung up on that 0w-30 grade?

By the way,
welcome2.gif

As far as being "hung up" on 0W30, here is my reasoning. My manuals for both the Jags reffer to XW30 as the "preferred" weight. I am simply following their suggestion.
As far as the Benz is concerned, my Mother ran 0W30 for over 340,000 miles in her C240. That says a lot to me.
Similarly, my BMW recommends their BMW Brand 5W30 High Performance Oil, which again is in the 30 range.
My C240 had been serviced with M1 0W40 at the dealership, here, and I have had no problems and it is nearing 98,500K.
I agree, if we look strictly at the A3/B3/B4 SL BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 Specs which are required by ALL the manuals of all my cars, M1 0W40 would be a good choice.
I simply chhose to go with the 0W30 weight because the "0" made such an astonishing difference in valvetrain clatter (cold startup, of course) on my BMW, and that cannot be bad for any of the other cars.
Thank you for your input, it is well appreciated.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

You seem to be worried that because those oils are API SL instead of API SM, they are somehow not the latest or greatest. This is not the case. API SM isn't just about performance; it also requires reduced levels of certain anti-wear additives, which might hinder those oils' abilities to meet the far more stringent OEM test specs. Suffice it to say that BMW LL-01 and (even more so) MB 229.5 are far tougher specs than API SM.

... and with those few simple words, you answered my main concern. API SM isn't just about performance; it also requires reduced levels of certain anti-wear additives, which might hinder those oils' abilities to meet the far more stringent OEM test specs. Suffice it to say that BMW LL-01 and (even more so) MB 229.5 are far tougher specs than API SM. I will be sticking to a High Quality, Fully Synthetic, preferably PAO A3/B3/B4 Sl/CF BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 0W30 Oil. Unless someone out there can convince me that this is NOT the Weight (0W30) to use here in Texas, whereas, as I type this it is 28 degrees outside, and six months from now, it will average 96 degrees outside. Besides, ALL the manuals recommend 5W30, (except MB, which recommends )W30, 0W40)and the way I see it, all I changed is the "COLD" fluidity of my oil i.e. getting the oil up there faster. If everything else I read is correct, it makes absolutely NO difference once the engine has reached running temperature. I am still at a 30 Weight oil.

Awesome. Simply awesome.
From what I have learned in these forums, (and the fact that BMW AND Jaguar both "recommend" Castrol Products), it looks like my best choice is going to be, for what my needs are, the GERMAN CASTROL (GC) Syntec 0W30. It has ALL the certs that meet ALL my OEM requirements and I can buy it all year long, less than 2 miles from home. As for the MB, I will switch it over from M1 0W40 to GC 0W30 at the next service. (mainly due to the possibility that M1 might not be all PAO, or PAO and apparently there is a great deal of controversy on that subject)but I have yet to find someone who claims that GC is NOT PAO.Before I start something - I think M1 is an excellent oil. I simply, prefer Group IV, PAO based oils at this time. I will be reading up and learning about Esters or Group V in the future.

Unless someone out there can convince me that this is NOT the Weight (0W30) to use here in Texas, whereas, as I type this it is 28 degrees outside, and six months from now, it will average 96 degrees outside. Besides, ALL the manuals recommend 5W30, (except MB, which recommends )W30, 0W40)and the way I see it, all I changed is the "COLD" fluidity of my oil i.e. getting the oil up there faster. If everything else I read is correct, it makes absolutely NO difference once the engine has reached running temperature. I am still at a 30 Weight oil.

Correct.

You can never have enough of good cold properties. The only possible reason to advise against a 0w rating would be to reduce the possibility of accidentally selecting an oil that has poor shear stability or HTHS viscosity. None of that is a concern for GC, since it is highly shear-stable and carries the approvals specified for your cars.

Incidentally, I'm not sure how I missed this, but Castrol Edge doesn't meet ACEA A3; in fact, it meets ACEA A1 and A5, which are mutually exclusive with A3 in at least one respect: A3 specifies an HTHS viscosity of 3.5 or greater, whereas A1 and A5 specify an HTHS viscosity of LESS than 3.5. Your Jag is probably fine, but I would recommend switching when you get a chance.

As for the MB, I will switch it over from M1 0W40 to GC 0W30 at the next service. (mainly due to the possibility that M1 might not be all PAO, or PAO and apparently there is a great deal of controversy on that subject)but I have yet to find someone who claims that GC is NOT PAO.Before I start something - I think M1 is an excellent oil. I simply, prefer Group IV, PAO based oils at this time. I will be reading up and learning about Esters or Group V in the future.

I believe that the previous comment about M1 not being PAO based was in reaction to your comment about Mobil AFE 0W-30 being PAO based. Mobil 0W-40 would be a great choice as well as GC 0W-30.

Originally Posted By: dparm
M1 is not 100% PAO. It can't be.

"PAO based" can mean many things.
wink.gif

Remember that Mobil 0W-40 is sold as a true synthetic oil in Europe just like GC 0W-30. If they were hydrocracked they couldn't be labeled as synthetic in Europe.

Originally Posted By: Capa
Remember that Mobil 0W-40 is sold as a true synthetic oil in Europe just like GC 0W-30. If they were hydrocracked they couldn't be labeled as synthetic in Europe.

Not true any more. The better hydrocracked base stocks now qualify as synthetic there, too.

Originally Posted By: Capa

That's only in Germany not Europe as a whole.

Doodfood, you've got my interest perked. Is "Europe" accepting the labeling of oils that contain Group III as synthetic? Also, what oils that were previously rejected as synthetic are now considered so?

From what I have learned in these forums, (and the fact that BMW AND Jaguar both "recommend" Castrol Products

All that means is Castrol won the highest bid to put their name on the oil cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back