Confused - GC (vs) Total(Elf) Quartz 9000 - 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fredf
The car is a 2011 VW GTI. The manual specs a 502.00 oil. GC meets that requirement although the manual also says a 5W-40 is the preferred weight.

I'm not an oil expert so I don't understand what could be the downside of using a 0W that is good for cold starts (I live in Toronto) and a 30 that is 'almost' a 40.

We're thread-jacking here, but have you thought about M1 0W-40 oil? It meets the 502 spec, and it looks like they dropped the 100C viscosity from 14 to 13.5. That has always been a [censored] fine oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2149146

Back on topic- OP, is there a reason you don't want to use the Total/Elf 0W-30 in your Jag? You mentioned that it would be nice to use just one oil for all your rigs.

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, the supercharger has it's own oil supply. This particular one, is "sealed" (so they say), I found out there is a way to change it - but you might as well disassemble the entire top of the engine.

Actually, I would like to use Total in all the cars.
I was simply stating that the dealership gave me a lecture about not using their rcommeded Castrol oil.
I know from reading the threads that GC is a "thick" 30 weight, almost a 40 at temp. Also it has good shear qualities.
I am unable to secure that information on the Total / Elf oil, although it meets or exceeds ALL the specs specified in may manual.

Quote:
I'm not an oil expert so I don't understand what could be the downside of using a 0W that is good for cold starts (I live in Toronto) and a 30 that is 'almost' a 40.

My point exactly.

P.S. I am born& raised in Monreeal, so I've had my share of cold starts too...
now live in this oven "Texas", love it, but sometimes it might as well be the sahara desert out here in summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back