Concealed weapons permit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What drew and chevrofreak said was the basis for me going with a 9mm. After taking the CCW class and having a shooter with a 45 and 40 to my left and right while we were qualifying, I'm glad I did. Those things, IMO, were just too dang big and loud. I felt I would be afraid of it and not really use it. I liked the compact size of the 9 and extra ammo in the clip. I look at it like this, if I have to dump a whole clip in someone, then it was probably the creature from the black lagoon and I had no business in the swamp in the first place.

I can tell you from experience that when the sh-- hits the fan and the old heart is pumping the last thing you feel or notice is the recoil of what your shooting. I have what I call my home owners policy: If you break down my front door I will introduce you to my double barrel 12 gauge, but if you break down my bedroom door I will introduce you to my Colt .45.

My home owners policy is all shotgun as well - pistol grip short barrel Remington 870 with additional capacity and a flashlight with grip switch. I like it!!!

Thanks. Like I said, I'm still learning.....
My brother in Tennessee called me last night and said he got a "brand new" still in the box 40 cal. SW semi-automatic hand gun for 211 dollars at a pawn shop outside of Fort Campbell. Either he's full of it or the pawn shops are in desperate need of some cash.

.40 cal S&W or .40S&W cal?

There are some cheap .40S&W guns out there. The cheapest S&W themselves make is the Sigma. If it is indeed S&W brand then that's likely what it is.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
If you want relevant CCW info, there is a good webpage at www.packing.org. Notice that's an "org" and not a "com".

I am a 12 year LEO from Indiana. But I still have a seperate CCW permit. I used to get one from Indiana, but now I have a Florida CCW, because you can actually get one as an out of state resident (at least when I got mine, don't know if that's changed). Indiana will honor ANY permit that your state issues for CCW, but not all states will honor an IN permit. So, there is an added cost, but an added benefit to being able to get a FL permit because for most of you who are not Law Enforcement Officers, you can travel more with the FL permit as it's recognized in more states. Again, I think you can still get a FL permit even as an out of state resident; it just costs more and you still must qualify to their standards.

Since 2005, there has been a Federal law that now allows LEO's to carry concealed nationwide; part of one of the Homeland Security laws passed. I don't have to worry about it now.

This is a personal statement, not a professional one. Your choice to CCW is one of the largest and most challenging decisions to make. Treat it wisely. In most states, it's your right; in others, it's considered a priveledge (unfortunately).

The www.packing.org site is full of info; it's about as up to date as you'll find.

Since when does Indiana allow 12 year olds to be sworn?

Originally Posted By: Snake42
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
If you want relevant CCW info, there is a good webpage at www.packing.org. Notice that's an "org" and not a "com".

I am a 12 year LEO from Indiana. But I still have a seperate CCW permit. I used to get one from Indiana, but now I have a Florida CCW, because you can actually get one as an out of state resident (at least when I got mine, don't know if that's changed). Indiana will honor ANY permit that your state issues for CCW, but not all states will honor an IN permit. So, there is an added cost, but an added benefit to being able to get a FL permit because for most of you who are not Law Enforcement Officers, you can travel more with the FL permit as it's recognized in more states. Again, I think you can still get a FL permit even as an out of state resident; it just costs more and you still must qualify to their standards.

Since 2005, there has been a Federal law that now allows LEO's to carry concealed nationwide; part of one of the Homeland Security laws passed. I don't have to worry about it now.

This is a personal statement, not a professional one. Your choice to CCW is one of the largest and most challenging decisions to make. Treat it wisely. In most states, it's your right; in others, it's considered a priveledge (unfortunately).

The www.packing.org site is full of info; it's about as up to date as you'll find.

Since when does Indiana allow 12 year olds to be sworn?

OK guys and gals:

Let me introduce myself. I go by Snake42, am 66 years old, have prior Military, Law enforcement, NRA Firearms Instructor, Military Firearms Instructor, combat and self defense experience. I have been shooting, trading guns, and reloading for almost 46 years. I have seen lots of thing happen in the shooting community over the years, some I like and others I despise. I have seen people convicted of a crime by forensic evidence that could not be corroborated and to my mine is down right impossible. You were discussing penetration of various calibers here and I was intrigued. I was an Instructor at a gun club in Dallas Tx.(which shall remain nameless) when a man was convicted of manslaughter in the death of an 11 year old boy in an enclosed building over 50 yrds away from where the round in question was fired. The actor was on the firing line on the pistol range shooting a lead semi-wadcutter bullet at the target some 50 yards in front of him. According to the forensic evidence introduced by the Prosecutor in the case the lead bullet missed the target completely, went over the 22 ft high berm behind the targets descended far enough to strike and penetrate the galvanized steel roof of the enclosed air rifle range (approx. 16 ft high)enter the building and be deflected by the fiberglass ceiling tiles and strike the young man in the head at the firing line some 25 yards further on killing him. The total distance traveled by the bullet was in excess of 90 yards and this magic bullet not only went over the backstop but was not deflected by the steel roof and then was deflected by the fiberglass tiles in the suspended ceiling. Furthermore the bullet recovered from the boys head showed remarkable durability and was barely deformed. Now I ask you Is this a lot of [censored] or am I missing something here?

Our legislature and governor just strengthened our concealed-carry law by broadening the places one can legally carry (restaurants and other public gatherings that were previously excluded).

Snake42,

The shooter needed far better legal counsel than what he had retained. It sounds like a prosecutor looking to be re-elected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back