Considering Pocket Carry

I took an advanced pistol class years ago which used three shots like the Mozambique. But the chain starting at the pelvis. One round on pelvis, one round on center mass, one round on head. The theory was with armor or without the first shot was a more likely hit to solid flesh. It is an interesting idea, but still requires reps to master.
I'm not a big fan of the pelvic girdle shot - yes, it brings down even an opponent with body armor, but it does not incapacitate.

So, yeah, he hits the ground, but he is still a threat if he is armed. If he is wearing body armor, it's because he is expecting a gunfight, and that type of person may very well be shooting after he is on the ground.

In the 1986 Miami Dade FBI shootout, those assailants took over a dozen rounds before they gave up the fight.

I want the threat to stop, I want the assailant incapacitated - so, center mass, if it doesn't work, head shot.

I'm not a big fan of the pelvic girdle shot - yes, it brings down even an opponent with body armor, but it does not incapacitate.

So, yeah, he hits the ground, but he is still a threat if he is armed. If he is wearing body armor, it's because he is expecting a gunfight, and that type of person may very well be shooting after he is on the ground.

In the 1986 Miami Dade FBI shootout, those assailants took over a dozen rounds before they gave up the fight.

I want the threat to stop, I want the assailant incapacitated - so, center mass, if it doesn't work, head shot.
I’m with you. I was on the fence about it but it was good class all in all.

The pelvis shot seems better suited for up close exchanges when grappling and clinch fighting is required. Wrestling from a clinch or off your back, the pelvis/stomach is usually in the fastest rounds on target with the least risk of them getting a hold of the gun. A good Mozambique in a grappling exchange would be a tall order.

I was actually thinking about the elastic waist-ed sweat pants that the "kids" are all wearing these days. They don't have the right pockets for carrying a wallet. When I was younger, it was mostly senior citizens who wore stretchy pants out in public.
Kids keep their cards and cash together with a elastic band, or they are girls and have a purse full of stuff. Some people keep stuff in their phone case, or have one of those wallets that also hold your phone.

I'm a fan of the LC9 - whatever they call that model now. Barely more footprint than the .380 LC versions. Pocket carries very well. It shoots all manner of rounds. I've run plenty of +p Gold Dots though it, and what's in it now is very thumpy, though not designated as a +p.

In cargo shorts I even step it up to the extended mag, though I have so many rounds through the standard mag I'm more attuned to that config. I only snagged a 9 rounder about 6-8 months ago.

Pocket carry is doable and safe with a few considerations. Whichever pocket you choose, NOTHING else goes in that pocket.

Depending on the type of material of the pants or shorts, you will be limited by weight. It will conceal if your pants aren't skin tight.

You have to practice, snags can happen. You should carry chambered, it helps to remember that while this is dangerous the world is also.

I use Sticky brand holsters. I've used others but this works for me and really breaks up the print of the gun.

I've carried snub nose revolvers, glock 42 and 43, and Ruger LCP (1st model) since I started carrying in 1995 or so. The snub nose revolver has the majority of the pocket time because it was the best (only) choice for a long time. The glocks are catching up quickly.

My dad had a rule that if there are kids in the house there are no pistols allowed in the house.

I carry DPS X-stream Black Label pepper spray.

It's one of the most powerful and wicked pepper sprays that's made. It has a combination of both tear gas and a very hot pepper. I carry the stream version. They make cone and stream versions of pepper spray. The stream is good for windy conditions and there's very little hitting of bystanders if you ever have to use it. But it requires you to aim it and make a quick adjustment if you miss the target with initial time of spray. It's not cheap but it's not a toy. It's some serious stuff that's used by guards in prisons with radical violent prisoners. The prisoners call it the Silver Bullet and they have a lot of respect for it. And if they don't it will quickly take any fight out of the most violent prisoner. I carry the two ounce can and it's good for about six one second burst. A half second burst of this stuff would probably take out any NFL lineman. It's some pretty serious stuff. And the way I look at it is if a kid gets their hands on it it's probably going to ruin somebody's day but it's not going to kill them.

It has a belt clip and one of the things I found is that if you buy a package of very small rubber bands that they sell on Amazon and put three of those on the groove on the bottom of the belt clip it prevents the canister from accidentally falling off your belt, but if you pull on it the rubber bands go flying and it quickly releases from your belt. Essentially no delay in its use if you pull it off your belt. I buy it directly from defense Protection Systems, LLC.

They make a 2 oz, a 3 oz, and a 4 oz can of this stuff. Since the 2 oz is more than capable of disabling two people I feel that's enough to carry. It has a range of 18 ft which is amazing for a pepper spray. There are a few YouTube videos of the DPS pepper spray being used on a prison guard.

I spoke with the gentleman at DPS and he said that he used to work for fox labs which made the fox 5.3 and that the fox pepper spray which was considered to be the strongest on the market is not as strong as it used to be because the company is under new ownership and the new owners change the formula. He did say that the fox 5.3 squared is pretty good stuff. But the DPS Black Label X-stream it's probably the best pepper spray out there.

I've carried pepper spray for many years and one time I was attacked in front of my own house and I used the spray I had and put the person in the hospital. It turned out there were warrants for his arrest.

One of the things I do is that whenever the pepper spray I carry expires I take the expired can out in the woods and spray a tree for practice.

Just food for thought if you're going to have Rugrats in that house.

Last edited:
If you get the DPS X-stream Black Label pepper spray when you put the small rubber bands on the bottom of the clip at the indentation section you wrap them around the canister also so they form a block that your belt can't get past for accidental releasing it from your belt.

And of course practice pulling it off your belt with the rubber bands on it a couple of times so that you're sure you don't have too many rubber bands on it.

While I carry this with me everyday, some people store pepper sprays and other ways and if they leave it in a hot car on a hot summer day there's a chance that the pressure in the can can exceed with the can can handle and it will burst and destroy the interior of the car.

And you are allowed to put up to a 4 oz can in your checked baggage if you go to an airport but only one can of whatever size you choose of 4 oz or less. But do not try to take it with your carry-on or on your person onto an aircraft. That is a federal offense.

Back