Computer Router Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 5 year old Toshiba Satellite A305-S6905 computer. I also have a Linksys E1000 router.
The problem that I have (and it has increased in frequency) is that our network drops and I have to physically reset the router by unplugging it and resetting the network on my laptop.
I normally would say that I have a router on the way out, but this only seems to happen on my computer and never on my wife's newer Toshiba laptop.
Any ideas on how to proceed?

Do you have a spare USB wi-fi adapter that you can try in your laptop? If that one is stable, then the issue is probably with your laptop's built-in network adapter. Make sure you have the latest driver for it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Do you have a spare USB wi-fi adapter that you can try in your laptop? If that one is stable, then the issue is probably with your laptop's built-in network adapter. Make sure you have the latest driver for it.

Don't have a spare adapter but I will check the driver.
Don't want to put bucks in this laptop, because I think that I will replace this machine prior to my retirement this coming May, and take advantage of the sales tax exemption on computers for educators one last time.
Either that, or my first retirement trip will be to a state without sales tax.
I'm leaning towards that it is something with the computer.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
How old is the linksys? Ive found I have to replace those things every other year or they start acting up.

It's probably pushing three years old.

First, delete the network connection on the laptop,

Then restart the computer,
(it should not connect to the network)

then re-establish the network connection, re-select the wireless network, and re-enter the password....

My PC is down and had XP to boot, so I can't give you step by step instructions...

Last edited:
I had to replace my linksys router when download speeds were less than 1 mbp. I would have to reset it 4-5 times per week. It was almost 7 years old.

I bought a Asus rr-68U and everything is at least 5 mbp and never have to reset it.

Latest firmware is March, 2014...

Make sure you know your routers version...
Look at the serial number, first 4, I think...

CVN0 - Version 1
CVN1 - Version 2
CVN2 - Version 2.1

My Linksys 320N had up time of over a thousand days...

Last edited:
It probably has never been updated.
According to the website that I looked on from Linksys, it would be a version 1.
I will give the update a try.
Thank you very much.

I had 3 of those or similar models(e2000).. they usually last about 1-3 years.

Stopped buying them for relatives when they all flaked out that fast.

Still have one good refurb e2000 with dd-wrt on it as my backup router.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back