Compressor oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 12 gallon Craftsman with a oil filled compressor motor. Do you guys change the oil or do you add as necessary? I uses very little oil. The only drain i can see is the sight glass.

I change the oil after about 300 hrs of use, which, in my case, works out to about once every five years.

My compressor does not need topping up between changes.

my compressor (a makita) doesnt seem to use oil. I ran mine on the OE oil for a little while for some projects, filled some air tanks, etc., and then changed it out. Ive been using Amsoil compressor oil in the right viscosity and it operates noticably cooler. This may have been because of the break-in period, or perhaps it is the fluid.

Id change it once then not worry about it, dependign upon use and duty.

Yes and it a must to prolong the life.I have seen a piston out of one which the oil that has not been changed,scored up

I built a special air filter mount for mine. The factory one was just a little sponge. Now it uses a cylindrical paper filter with a sponge surround. Presumably the primary reason for wear on these is dirt in the oil. Better filtration should help.

I change the oil once every two years or so. That probably amounts to a 60 hour OCI at most now that my Bronco restoration project is done.

Mine has never used any oil.

Gardner Denver recommends the oil be changed in their Champion compressors after the 1st 50 hours of operation. This is also the time to change to synthetic if desired.

Originally Posted By: daman
I change mine out also every few years with Amsoil
compressor oil

Thanks for the link. My compressor recommends SAE30 or 20 in colder climates.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Originally Posted By: daman
I change mine out also every few years with Amsoil
compressor oil

Thanks for the link. My compressor recommends SAE30 or 20 in colder climates.

yup,,i like the ISO 100 for the 40w protection,works fine in the winter too.
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
So if i wanted to change the oil do i remove the slight glass. It is a plug type.

yes if thats all you see for a drain sure it'll work fine.

Drain the water out of the tank also if it a steel tank at the same time.If this is not done,the tank rusts out overtime and will explode which is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back