Complaining to HR

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you make a complaint to HR, how do you insure that you won't get retaliation. Or that they know it was you.

You don't....it's up to the quality of the character of the individuals.

I've worked with great H.R. professionals who could act responsibly, impartially, and maintain strict confidentiality....and I've worked with lying sycophants who broker information.

Don't count on being protected unless you can report a gross felony being committed by your employer, or if Uncle Sam is not getting his fair share of their profits.

Of course they will know its you and fire your sneaky (edit-mod) (that is the way they will see it) through the door at the first opportunity even if they need to create one.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no such thing as an "open door policy",it's total bs. Any time you complain to hr or an upper authority,be prepared to quit and find a new job. Hr WILL spill it's guts and retaliation WILL occur.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
There is no such thing as an "open door policy",it's total bs. Any time you complain to hr or an upper authority,be prepared to quit and find a new job. Hr WILL spill it's guts and retaliation WILL occur.

Eh, I disagree.

There's plenty times where shady stuff has gone down where HR recognizes the problem and addresses it, and the employee isn't in trouble.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

Eh, I disagree.

There's plenty times where shady stuff has gone down where HR recognizes the problem and addresses it, and the employee isn't in trouble.

I have had staff reporting to me for decades - and anytime I have engaged HR to deal with a problem -
I found them to be firm, but fair - and made sure all sides were understood. They also explain how/why it all relates to company policy - for all.
Nobody went down the road - but we all went out the door with a better understanding of how problems grow when people avoid conflict resolution.

You better make sure you're not the problem first.

You remind me of a few soldiers that were always saying they'd report to IG.

You're in California.

HR should help out if you're receiving differential treatment or bias because of one of the protected categories. So this really depends on what you're complaining about. If the person you're complaining about is in general an [censored], but is not violating one of the protected categories ... well, they're just an [censored].

You may check out:

https://www.dfeh.ca.gov/employment/

I copied this from the website:
California law protects individuals from illegal discrimination by employers based on the following:

Race, color
Ancestry, national origin
Religion, creed
Age (over 40)
Disability, mental and physical
Sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions)
Sexual orientation
Gender identity, gender expression
Medical condition
Genetic information
Marital status
Military and veteran status

Last edited:
Work for a maga Corp and we have difference ways to engage HR. We can go direct or we have an anonymous phone number/email where a 3rd party will investigate. Retaliation for complaints is taken extremely seriously and not tolerated not only for the well being of our employees (we want them to report stuff) but also the liability it exposes the company to. Doesn't sound like you hav these options and unfortunately just because they do something illegal like retaliate doesn't mean you can prove or win in court. If you are that concerned seek out a consult with a labor law lawyer and tell then your concern and how likely you are to win if are retaliated against or even fired. They are really the ones I would listen to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BossMoss
If you make a complaint to HR, how do you insure that you won't get retaliation. Or that they know it was you.

What's the complaint?

Originally Posted by A_User55555
HR is not your friend. They are there to protect the company. Their goal is to make sure the company doesn't get sued.

Bingo! This has been my experience with HR as well. Don't count of them to be an advocate for you if you bring an issue to HR. They generally make things worse.

I think it's a dangerous game, HR is employed by the employer...it depends on what/who you're complaining about. Some may be more professional than others but they all are employed by the employer (as fare as I know). You can bet that it won't be 100% confidential.

And if/when someone realizes you're the person that runs to HR?? You will be labeled. I've seen that. Honestly if things are bad at work, I'd find other employment. Keep in mind that the problem can very much be YOU, but that's a tougher problem isn't it?

If you're in a tightly regulated industry with lots of legal liabilities the experience could be different than, say, selling cars.

I +2 the labor lawyer suggestion. And make sure you have a copy of the employee handbook off-site, and copies of non-disclosure agreements and other contracts you've signed.

You have to ask, is this a big company or a small one. Almost without exception small companies HR is NOT your friend. Big companies, NOT in the layoff mode (does that happen anymore) might have professional HR.

So IMHO HR can be your friend. Assume nothing, find a discreet way to check first. If just move on.

Rod

Originally Posted by A_User55555
HR is not your friend. They are there to protect the company. Their goal is to make sure the company doesn't get sued.

This ^^^^^^^^^

Play it safe and stay away from making ANY complaints to HR about anything, or anyone. The risk far exceeds any possible reward. The chances are your complaining will not get the results you want or expect. And may very well get the exact opposite. You could be taken as a troublemaker or whistleblower. Being taken as either is not going to be a benefit to you or your employment. Ignore whatever it is and do your job. Sadly the workplace isn't what it once was 40 years ago.

Good God get a grip people!! Come on guys, going to HR is completely dependent upon the situation. Since the original poster gave no detail, we really don't know. Some of you seriously need to get on anti-paranoia drugs.....
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by philipp10
Good God get a grip people!! Come on guys, going to HR is completely dependent upon the situation. Since the original poster gave no detail, we really don't know.

Did the boss pat you on the back, or squeeze you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Blanket statements about a department, generation, brand, race, OCI interval, etc etc. are untrue and at best anecdotal.

My wife works for a public utility and has had positive experiences with HR although no conflicts were involved. She has seen HR deal with problem employees appropriately from high level management to entry level.

A friend in healthcare could not get HR to deal with subordinates in a reasonable manner who were not doing their jobs or causing problems with other employees, he left and started his own business. Just the opposite of the general tone of replies.

The small company I work for has an HR department of one, the CPA is also the HR person. She's not trained in HR, it was dumped on her when the previous HR person retired. The company historically doesn't deal with conflicts or substandard performance issues very well, stemming from the original founder's aversion to conflict with others. The joke is you can't get fired.

Every company is different, only the OP knows how his HR functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back