Compatability of Subaru OEM filter with 2008 Acura TL-S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought several Subaru filters (part # 15208AA15A), and I just discovered from the FRAM website that the same FRAM filter is suggested for both my Acura and my Subaru Ascent. It seems reasonable to me that I can therefore use the Subaru filters I already have in the Acura as well. Is that a reasonable conclusion? I'd prefer to use these Subaru filters up before going and buying any more for the Acura.

Is this one of the Suby filters that has the 22 psi bypass? Even if it is, not sure it's big deal. I'm thinking it isn't, others can comment. But yes it is the same as Honda/Acura 7317 application size.

Subaru uses a higher bypass, but it will probably be OK to use in your Acura.

But you can easily go to Walmart and get a Fram PH7317 which is the Honda A02

Fram is also the OE supplier to Subaru but doesn't use their high-spec bypass in their aftermarket filter
crazy2.gif

Wix does make a Subaru-specific bypass oil filter. 57055 (in both regular and XP versions)

...But you can easily go to Walmart and get a Fram PH7317 which is the Honda A02

Fram is also the OE supplier to Subaru but doesn't use their high-spec bypass in their aftermarket filter....
Both the Honda A02 and the Suby filters are made by Fram, to their respective company specs. One ISO 4548 -12 test showed the A02 to be significantly less efficient than an equivalent orange can. It's been some years now, but a Fram engineer confirmed the Honda A02 has lower efficiency. And iirc the former Fram rep said similar here. If I had to speculate, I'd say the Suby filter closer to the A02 efficiency than the PH7317. The 22 psi bypass used on the Suby filter(s) made by Fram to Suby spec.

It is true that equivalent application Fram and other brands use a lower bypass spec, likely since in addition to Subaru they are used in many other applications.

like many similar the brand name increases the cost!!! friend worked in auto parts years ago, his wifes caddy branded starter was over a C note while the same Chebby one was under 50, knowledge is power $$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back