Comparison engine oil ACEA A5/B5 ILSAC GF4/5 and ACEA A3/B3/B4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a question for you, dear colleagues.

For most cars, the specification ACEA A5/B5 ILSAC GF-4/5 is recommended.

Example of LEXUS, TOYOTA.

How the use of oil of the same viscosity, but in the A3/B3/B3/B4 specification, affects wear and engine protection?

There is a theory that A5/B5 light running oils cause less high-temperature deposits, lacquers and deposits, especially on the rings.

On the other hand, others say and write that the use of A3/B3 oil in LEXUS GS for example causes a smaller amount of so called shavings.

Has anyone investigated this topic and whether it is better to take into account the specification e. g. ILSAC GF-4/5 etc. or the most important is the oil film strength, which is higher in A3/B3 oils?

I am not talking about ecology but about cleanliness of the engine, amount of deposits and resistance to wear and tear.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Last edited:
This is the same question I have.
My car specifies ACEA A5 in 5W30

What is difference between ACEA A5 & ILSAC GF-5?
Also many A5 oils don't meet API SN spec only older API

Originally Posted by yowps3

Because of ZDDP limits in 30 grade and under for API SN.

Actually Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 both meet ACEA A5 , API SN and Dexos Gen 2 and ILSAC GF-5.

.Those are the only two I know of from the top of my head that do meet all of those specs...

Originally Posted by Popsy

Because of ZDDP limits in 30 grade and under for API SN.

In that sense it's better to use ACEA A5 API SJ full ZDDP oil circa 1000ppm zddp than 800ppm API SN standard ?

Just told you....

Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 both meet ACEA A5 and API SN and SN+.... And ILSAC GF-5... And Dexos Gen 2...

These oils do exist... Their PDS states so very clearly.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Just told you....

Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 both meet ACEA A5 and API SN and SN+.... And ILSAC GF-5... And Dexos Gen 2...

These oils do exist... Their PDS states so very clearly.

So what benefits does the A5 standard bring over just API SN / GF-5 ?

If I am remembering correctly the A5 is for higher performance motors that spec a 5w30 oil and longer change interval has well...

It is a good spec. Very similar to Dexos Gen 2..

If I am remembering correctly the A5 is for higher performance motors that spec a 5w30 oil and longer change interval has well...

One area of difference is LSPI, where ACEA will not be introducing tests until A7/B7.
That standard will also include timing chain wear and turbo deposit tests like d1G2.

Which would be the better spec for a V6 T-Gdi?

D1g2 or ACEA A5 ?

D1g2 or ACEA A5 ?

D1 G2 offers LSPI protection, A5 doesn't.

Originally Posted by turnbowm

D1g2 or ACEA A5 ?

D1 G2 offers LSPI protection, A5 doesn't.

As stated earlier - when in doubt, go for Mobil1 or PP.
Both offer ACEA A5 and D1G2.

D1g2 or ACEA A5 ?

Whatever your manual calls for. BITOG tends to blow things out of proportion. Not ALL turbo DI engines have to contend with LSPI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back