Comparing Amsoil data sheet to Mobil 1???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the info that has me kind of stumped...

Mobil 1 10w/30

cSt@40*c 62
cSt@100*c 10
pour point -45
flash point 244

Amsoil 10w/30

cSt@40*c 69.8
cSt@100*c 11.9
pour point -48
flash point 230

Ok, the Mobil 1 is clearly the thinner of the two so why does it have a higher pour point and higher flash point temp than amsoil? Does viscosity have nothing to do with PP/FP? I've always had the idea of thinner oil in winter/ thicker oil in summer but this makes me think that has no bearing at all.
confused.gif

[ June 11, 2003, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: JWRENCH ]

Also, am I correct in thinking that since Amsoil is thicker and has a slightly lower pour point (resistance to flow) that it is more slippery than Mobil 1 which should mean less friction?

Not bashing mobil 1, just trying to put the numbers into perspective.

The pour point has to do with the basestock blend and the particular PAO's and esters used. Flash points aren't really a performance measurement, they are more of a safety issue. Noack volatility is a better measure of high temp stability. The current Noack of the Amsoil 10w-30 is 5.5%, based on very recent data I've seen. I believe that is at least as good as the Mobil 1, 10w-30.

I don't think you can say that Amsoil is more slippery than Mobil 1 from this data....

These are both very solid oils, you can't go wrong with either one of them ....

TooSlick

I agree with Ted, both the 10w-30 from Amsoil and M1 are very good oils. M1 10w-30 has a NOAK of 6.6% I bleive. You might see consumption be a little less with Amsoil, not so much to do with NOAK, but the fact that it's a thicker oil. I'm using it now.

It's possible that they both use the same base stock and Amsoil uses more Polymer to get the vis up at higher temps (not likely). It may be that Amsoil and Mobil use the same vis Base PAO and Amsoil uses more (and perhaps slightly heavier Ester). And then there is the additive package with whatever carrier oil is being used. Also Mobil 1 has Supersyn which is a very viscous PAO. It's Possible Mobil uses a thinner Base PAO and the SS causes a higher pour point. All this is idle and very speculative thinking on my part
grin.gif
. I'm sure Molakule can supply the answer and I believe this issue has been previously addressed-at least in part.

I recall it has been mentioned that Mobil 1 uses synthetic carrier fluids now. Is that correct??

Also forgive me if this is yesterday's news but mobil has changed around their web site-there is more and better information here:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_10W-30.asp

[ June 11, 2003, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

Yeah, I guess slippery was the wrong word to use here.
rolleyes.gif
I was just thinking at first that looking at the viscosities only that I'd use the thinner Mobil 1 in winter and the heavier Amsoil for summer. But when I went and compared the pour points, It looks like I should do just the opposite since Amsoil has the lower number.

I realise that a whole three degrees difference in the pour point probably wouldn't matter, it just struck me weird.

Heck, here in Tennessee I doubt I have to worry about going near -48 or +230 anyway.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back