Communication with Castrol

I have a 5 qt of edge ep 5w30. SN plus. No mention of d1g2, though I've read in here that it is supposedly approved. Emailed Castrol, asking if it was, along with when SP data sheets would be available. Below is their response, FYI. They were quick to respond, which was impressive. Took them about 8 hours.

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Please see a list of current GM dexos1®Gen 2 Castrol products and grades:

Castrol GTX MAGNATEC 0W-20
Castrol GTX MAGNATEC 5W-20
Castrol GTX MAGNATEC 5W-30
Castrol EDGE 0W-20
Castrol EDGE 5W-20
Castrol EDGE 5W-30
Castrol EDGE High Mileage 0W-20
Castrol EDGE High Mileage 5W-20
Castrol EDGE High Mileage 5W-30
Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 0W-20
Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W-20
Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W-30
​
The official first license date for API SP and ILSAC GF-6 is May 1, 2020 however ILSAC GF-6 and API SP specifications have been significantly delayed due to new engine test development and definition of test limit requirements so nothing currently in the U.S. or Canada.

Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for Castrol products can be viewed, printed or downloaded from the following page:

http://msdspds.castrol.com/msdspds/msdspds.nsf/CastrolHomePage?OpenForm

Thank you again for contacting Castrol, we value your patronage!

Castrol Consumer Relations

I have one more jug of edge ep and a couple of regular edge. Probably going to keep up with that. 5k intervals on my accord 2.0t.

Just curious, does your Accord recommend d1g2 or is that spec something you like to use? BTW, thank you for inquiring for the rest of us.

Edit - I just used the link to search "edge" and had no idea they had so many formulations
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
My accord simply recommends "an api approved 0w20." Not even sure they mention SN, but I don't have the manual handy.

I have been sticking with d1g2 when possible, as I feel it's a good spec and most oils carry it. Though I am sure an SN+/SP approved oil would be just fine.

I've used edge ep, magnatec, PP, and M1 EP over my 20k miles with the car. Edge does seem to be the quietest, though magnatec is right there. I like that edge ep has a few more approvals, though so does regular edge. M1 did seem louder to me. Could be just me.

I know M1 ep is regarded by better that edge ep by many here. My thought is that any of the oils I've used will keep the engine clean and running well at 5k intervals.

No harm in additional approvals as it leads one to believe the product has successfully exceeded different standards. At a 5k OCI, I would think any synthetic would be fine in your application
thumbsup2.gif

Back