Comment on this scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
As I mentioned in another thread, my sister's UOA on 0w30 Castrol SLX will be delayed since she's going on vacation for two weeks. I'm curious if that vacation will affect her UOA, since her car will be just sitting in her driveway for two weeks straight? Will her UOA end up showing a lot more iron as a result?

And if so, I guess this means anyone who owns a car that they only drive on weekends, would see higher iron too?

I don't see how the iron would get that much more elevated. As the car sits, oil does deventually stop clinging to parts. But, the engine isn't totally exposed to the elements, so very little if any corrosion should occur raising the iron level.

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
Perfect! Ask her to leave the keys and do an oil change while she is on vacation?

I was thinking about that, however she's not quite at the 5000 mile mark yet, so I'd at least like her to get to that point before doing the first sample.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Perfect! Ask her to leave the keys and do an oil change while she is on vacation?

I was thinking about that, however she's not quite at the 5000 mile mark yet, so I'd at least like her to get to that point before doing the first sample.

Ask her to leave the keys and you drive her car to work a couple of times a week while she's gone.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

quote:

Ask her to leave the keys and you drive her car to work a couple of times a week while she's gone.

Then that'll slow down my mileage adding process to my own car, as I'm trying to rack up miles faster on my Firebird to get to my next interval too!
grin.gif

Two weeks!? In mid-spring/early summer? Considering brand new cars often sit in storage two months before they even get to a dealer's lot, I'd say you're splitting hairs to come up with something to worry about.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Two weeks!? In mid-spring/early summer? Considering brand new cars often sit in storage two months before they even get to a dealer's lot, I'd say you're splitting hairs to come up with something to worry about.

I realize that, but if an extra 5ppm of iron got into that oil in a new car, you wouldn't notice it (especially since most people don't do oil analysis) however for someone like me who is trying to gauge the performance of a new oil, if 5 extra ppm of iron showed up due to rusting while the car sits for two weeks, it could skew the results.

There are so many variables from interval to interval. Driving style, Temperature, Fuel, etc, etc... I think you worry too much!
wink.gif

Of course... so do I... I visit this board don't I?!?!
smile.gif

It's true, I do need help!
grin.gif

I swear sometimes I've got 10w30 corsing through my veins instead of blood. Maybe I should prick myself and send some in for analysis!
tongue.gif

So just change it at 4500? 4700?--whatever it will be. We want to see the analysis more than it is important to hit 5000!

quote:

It's true, I do need help!
grin.gif

I swear sometimes I've got 10w30 corsing through my veins instead of blood. Maybe I should prick myself and send some in for analysis!
tongue.gif

Patman, even though you're nuts, in many ways I can relate,
cheers.gif
grin.gif

OK, how about this second scenario? Because I live in a townhouse complex and only have one garage space and one driveway space, we have to shuffle our cars around on the weekends. So once on Saturday and once on Sunday my Firebird gets started up stone cold, driven about 200ft, and then shut off, total running time about 45-60 seconds. After it's shut off, it then sits overnight for about 12 hours. Do you think I'm going to see more moisture in the oil during this time, which would then cause rusting and therefore more iron too?

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
What, and then drive it for the week?

You've having us on, aren't you!!!

welcome.gif
You're fairly new here, so just let me say that sometimes Patman is somewhat- ahh- detail oriented!
wink.gif
Yes, that's it- detail oriented!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back