Coming to a Harley dealer near you...eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I owned a 2004 HD XL l200 Sporster/Roadster. I sold it only, because I could not afford (2) bikes. I bought a 2005 Victory Hammer.

If I ever buy again, it will be a HD 1200 Sportster with the Buell? mods, that I knew would happen eventually. I can't believe that it took this long.

You could see it coming, starting with saving this great right wheel drive bike in 2004. Maybe a counter balanced motor? I am excited. Good job HD.

My 1st (amf) sportster came without ANY shims between the gear-sets and woudn't shift right, by the time the dealer fiqured it out and fixed it I had lost all interest in the bike and sold it to a bud (he still has it). 2nd sportster was a custom with a rake, seat, fender and a car tire. Another amf motor, it broke a primary chain and dang near killed me. heli-arced the cases back up and put a Karata belt primary kit in it and sold it to another buddy.

Those are my 2 sportster experiences but would be willing to try again, as I'm sure they are much better. If they keep the price down and build the right model I'd jump. That euro only model is heading in the right direction, IMO.

Quote:

Quote:

Wow they had a hot bike over thirty years ago? Ever since then they haven't been about performance.

Or quality, reliability, refinement and value!
If you want to buy the closest thing you can get to a 1950's clunker, spending a large sum of cash in the process, buy a Harley.

What a d..k!

Quote:

Quote:

Franky, though, I'm a bit tired of the HD biker "lifestyle" crowd ($20000.00/2000 miles per year) criticising my choice of rides (ST1300/FZ1) as they wobble from bar to bar.

And I get tired of being lumped into this crowd because I happen to be a middle age lawyer who bought his first Harley last fall. Especially when I was riding motorcycles before most of the people criticizing me were born.

I didn't buy a Harley to fit in with any crowd or lifestyle. I bought a Harley because I've always liked 'em and always wanted one. For me it was about the bike and not about any supposed cache that surrounds owning a Harley.

I was racing flat track on KR's in '68, at age 15, I'd been riding a '63 Pan for 2 years before that...fast forward...I finished my working career as Parts manager at an H-D dealership....also doing R&D on HP engine packages well beyond those specc'd by H-D....

I'd say you fit the profile perfectly, I dealt with the rubs, yuppies, and wannabe's every day.....you certainly do fit, and the more you protest, the better the fit.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Franky, though, I'm a bit tired of the HD biker "lifestyle" crowd ($20000.00/2000 miles per year) criticising my choice of rides (ST1300/FZ1) as they wobble from bar to bar.

And I get tired of being lumped into this crowd because I happen to be a middle age lawyer who bought his first Harley last fall. Especially when I was riding motorcycles before most of the people criticizing me were born.

I didn't buy a Harley to fit in with any crowd or lifestyle. I bought a Harley because I've always liked 'em and always wanted one. For me it was about the bike and not about any supposed cache that surrounds owning a Harley.

I was racing flat track on KR's in '68, at age 15, I'd been riding a '63 Pan for 2 years before that...fast forward...I finished my working career as Parts manager at an H-D dealership....also doing R&D on HP engine packages well beyond those specc'd by H-D....

I'd say you fit the profile perfectly, I dealt with the rubs, yuppies, and wannabe's every day.....you certainly do fit, and the more you protest, the better the fit.

yawn.gif

Quote:

Be nice if you actually rode one in the last 30 yrs too.

Havent even been around one older than 10 years.

Johnny is correct. If your happy, Im happy or should I say I really could care less what you like. Just dont try convincing me a Harley is something its not, because you happen to have bought one.

Quote:

Quote:

Be nice if you actually rode one in the last 30 yrs too.

Havent even been around one older than 10 years.

Johnny is correct. If your happy, Im happy or should I say I really could care less what you like. Just dont try convincing me a Harley is something its not, because you happen to have bought one.

No one is trying to convince you of anything. Obviously, your reading comprehension needs some work.

Quote:

They are all fun, that's what really matters. I met a guy on another forum from India who rides old yamaha twostroke stuff like our old dt125/175's. He scrapes and scrounges for parts ( I send him stuff when I can), gets fiberglass out of old refrigerators to pack his mufflers, and blueprints his piston to cyl clearance with his thumbnail. The guy rides old junk and has more passion for bikes than most of us americans who buy and ride whatever we want and argue about what someone else chooses to ride. I'm old enough to remember the pre brand-loyalty days here, those, IMO were the good old days. Sure like to see em come back.

I really don't understand brand loyality at all .but then I am not into sports.

I grew up wanting an Indian, because my Father spoke fondly of his 1928 45 Scout. When I got old enough to know that Indian was out of business, I tended towards the only other brand that he spoke of, Harley, because his riding buddy rode several big Flatheads and OHV's (Knuckles). I admired a lot of British and German makes, but American machines were easiest for me to get my hands on. Same went for the parts. I'm not that old at 55 (or am I), but I'm at an age that I'm more comfortable with the machines that I know about. I really admire the modern Ducati models. But, just like all the new Harleys, I won't purchase one. Just can't justify the cash. I can hunt around and dig up parts, and over a span of 6 months to a year, I can build a complete vintage Harley. And, low bucks at that. They are a blast to ride, and require only a little maintenance. Chain lube. Valve adjustments. Brake adjustments. Easy to do stuff. By the way. I got the Indian. '47 Chief. But, it's still a basket case. Had it for about 3 decades, but it's time to be restored is soon to come.

Point is. Pick what you like. Enjoy it. Don't worry about convincing others that what you like is better. Won't work. Otherwise, we'd all be the same. I don't want to be like anyone else that I know. I'm sure the same can be said about me.

Jack

P.S. - And, they run just fine on synthetics.

Quote:

I grew up wanting an Indian, because my Father spoke fondly of his 1928 45 Scout. When I got old enough to know that Indian was out of business, I tended towards the only other brand that he spoke of, Harley, because his riding buddy rode several big Flatheads and OHV's (Knuckles). ... By the way. I got the Indian. '47 Chief. But, it's still a basket case. Had it for about 3 decades, but it's time to be restored is soon to come.

You'll like these videos:

And this guy has developed an electric starter for vintage Indians that's activated by the kick starter:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry for the double post
blush.gif
.....what I meant to say was funny stuff
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back