Comcast to Acquire Time Warner Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
is the rate increase due to the cable cutters or the athletes getting milions? ESPN monday night football isn't cheap

Our Roadrunner will go up $18 monthly starting next month. That's for standard internet. Sure didn't take them long did it?

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Our Roadrunner will go up $18 monthly starting next month. That's for standard internet. Sure didn't take them long did it?

Cut your roadrunner down to the slowest possible speed. Then you can get 1-year promo rates for bumping up a notch.

No, that's because you have a promotion which is expiring, not because they are raising their rates. There is a big difference that I wish people would get straight :|

^ Roadrunner would like to muddy the issue. Finding the non-promotional price/rate card on their website is impossible, or next to it. I literally found a "404 not found" when I tried site-mapping it.
frown.gif

http://www.timewarnercable.com/content/twc/en/residential-home/internet/internet-service-plans.html
Futher surfing TWC's website either makes me call a toll free number or enter my TWC info (they know I have them from my IP) so I can get "my rates" and not "the public rates".

Currently retail price for standard internet is $54.99, turbo is a $10 upgrade, extreme is $20, and ultimate is $50. Without promotions, plus the modem rental fee of $5.99

Originally Posted By: Nick R

No, that's because you have a promotion which is expiring, not because they are raising their rates. There is a big difference that I wish people would get straight :|

I wish you knew what you were talking about but that's a lot to wish for apparently. We received a letter from TWC separate from the bill that explained ALL services were increasing the following month with a chart showing the increases for each and every item be it phone, Roadrunner, or cable. Ours will go up $18 per month. Better work on your psychic abilities a bit more because they are sadly lacking.

I wish you knew what you were talking about but that's a lot to wish for apparently. We received a letter from TWC separate from the bill that explained ALL services were increasing the following month with a chart showing the increases for each and every item be it phone, Roadrunner, or cable. Ours will go up $18 per month. Better work on your psychic abilities a bit more because they are sadly lacking.

RTexasF: I think you should fact check a bit, I know a lot more than you think you do, as I actually work for the company in question and am well educated on exactly how this works, because I've been working with the Billing Systems in question for almost 2 years now
wink.gif

If you're rate is going up $18 then you are paying full retail rate for your services and do not have any promotions. If you had any promotions, this rate increase would not affect any services that you currently have a promotion on. Any services you do NOT have a promotion on, WOULD be affected.

Edit: Let me amend this. You said your rate was going up $18, for standard internet. You did not say this included TV or anything like that. If your rate was going up $18 for INTERNET ONLY, then YES you were on a promotion which was ending. Since you have other services that changes things, and $18 total increase could be correct depending on what exactly you have.

Last edited:
I still think Comcast/TWC and other providers should put a data cap and generate revenue off the folks who abuse the service.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I still think Comcast/TWC and other providers should put a data cap and generate revenue off the folks who abuse the service.

That would only work if they charged less for the service for those who used less. Both offer that, but it' sonly $5/mo savings and you cannot go over an insanely low 5GB/mo or something like that. Data caps are a TERRIBLE idea, because they don't help anyone but the ISP.

We received a letter from TWC separate from the bill that explained ALL services were increasing the following month with a chart showing the increases for each and every item be it phone, Roadrunner, or cable. Ours will go up $18 per month.

Well that's just "Comcastic". Everyone just needs to boycott and jump ship, that's my plan. Going OTA for free. Too much brain rotting TV in the world anyway. Just give me the news and a few good shows and I'll be happy and save over $1000/yr. That can buy a lot of gas to go out and do something beside sit on my butt.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Well that's just "Comcastic". Everyone just needs to boycott and jump ship, that's my plan. Going OTA for free. Too much brain rotting TV in the world anyway. Just give me the news and a few good shows and I'll be happy and save over $1000/yr. That can buy a lot of gas to go out and do something beside sit on my butt.
smile.gif

One problem: You can't OTA the internet.

That's where they've got you by the jimmies: Cable companies control two pipes into your home. Television is easy. You can cut the cord and buy an antenna or get yourself a dish. Internet isn't so easy. You can get DSL and deal with slow speeds. You can go cellular and have the speed back, but pay out the nose and live with a stupid data cap.

I have the luxury of having two fairly high speed options for internet: Comcast and AT&T U-verse. Not that either of these are fantastic companies, but some people don't even have that. Lots of people just have a single awful cable company to choose from for their internet.

Television isn't why Comcast is trying to buy TWC.

That would only work if they charged less for the service for those who used less. Both offer that, but it' sonly $5/mo savings and you cannot go over an insanely low 5GB/mo or something like that. Data caps are a TERRIBLE idea, because they don't help anyone but the ISP.

I guess I don't understand why I pay more every year for ISP service when the service itself has not significantly increased in speed. My guess is the recent hikes are to cover off the massive data usage and required upgrades by streaming movies in HD.

I telecommute and use approx 40GB/month for my job and occasional Netflix watching by kids.

I guess I don't understand why I pay more every year for ISP service when the service itself has not significantly increased in speed. My guess is the recent hikes are to cover off the massive data usage and required upgrades by streaming movies in HD.

I telecommute and use approx 40GB/month for my job and occasional Netflix watching by kids.

No. The increase in price is because shareholders demand to see ever growing profit numbers. What would you think if I told you the amount of profit margin on hsd (high speed data) from your average isp is north of 95%? Increasing the cost of internet and adding additional fees like modem rental is an extremely easy way to increase both revenue and profit and can hide behind the excuse that they need to do it to keep it running. Twc just announced insane speed increases in Austin tx at no additional cost. This is to help them compete with att gigapower and Google fiber. They are doing this without increasing prices above what customers pay on other markets. For all isps it's all about profit. End of story

I won't complain on cable prices. For whatever reason I got full internet and Tv in my first house I purchased for about 6 years without paying a bill. I rarely watched TV but the internet(modem left at house) which I used occasionally worked in the early days of broadband. My guess is the prior owner(employee of then comcast) who passed somehow paid it not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back