Collinite and Turtle Ice Seal N' Shine

My car has an application of Collinite 845. I just found out it will be outside in the winter with cold temps and some snow. My
question is, can I put a coat of Turtle Ice Seal N shine over the 845 for winter protection? Thank you, please stay safe.

Not a good idea. It would be like putting butter in a pan to make an egg and then wanting the egg to stick to the pan (it won't). Seal and Shine needs to bond to the finish to form its polymer layer, wax sits on top like a lubricant (hence wax).

You may notice a short term change in how the finish behaves but the Collinite will be the lowest common denominator and you won't add any longevity.

Putting Collinite on top of Seal and Shine would work a treat if the finish was properly stripped to let Seal and Shine bond.

Last edited:
I think 845 will be able to handle a winter outside. Assuming application was recent and you reapply by spring.

If the TW doesn't just remove the Collinite when you apply it, I don't think it would be adding any additional protection. I would say the Collinite will last longer than the TW. If you want it to last even longer, use Collinite 476S, it's the paste wax version of the 845...

I used to use Collinite 845 or 476 as my winter time wax. Now I just use 845 as my year round wax, have had no problems going through Massachusetts winters with 845

So, you would be using TW SnS as a topper.

Typically, you want the longest lasting product as the base layer and the shortest lasting product as the "sacrificial" topper.

Polymer based products will far (by months) outlast carnauba or any other natural wax. So, for your best combination, clean the car, then wipe it down with an IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) solution or some other similar paint prep. Then, apply the TW Seal N Shine as directed on the label. As was stated in an earlier post, the IAP will insure the Seal N Shine will bond to the surface. And, like most polymer sealants, Seal N Shine needs 24 hours to cure. Then apply your Collinite.

The Turtle Wax lines "Ice" and "Hybrid Solutions" seem to be the real deal. Seal n Shine is from the mid grade Turtle Wax Ice lineup and has amazing staying power even for a product based on polymers. The products in the Hybrid Solutions line are said to be even better.

I'd re-coat with 845 and call it a day. Two coats of 845 got me through the winter a few times when I was using it. You can always strip the wax and use the TW product another time.

I'd re-coat with 845 and call it a day. Two coats of 845 got me through the winter a few times when I was using it. You can always strip the wax and use the TW product another time.

True. Collinite 845 is a terrific wax that's been around a long time. In the northeast, two coats will get you a couple of months of protection if not constantly being beaten on by gas station car washes. In nicer, dryer climates it will last longer.

When you used Collinite, did you heat it up before applying?

True. Collinite 845 is a terrific wax that's been around a long time. In the northeast, two coats will get you a couple of months of protection if not constantly being beaten on by gas station car washes. In nicer, dryer climates it will last longer.

When you used Collinite, did you heat it up before applying?
Yes, I put the bottle in a pot of hot water, shook it well and used it. I would typically wash the vehicle, clay it if needed, or use a product added to the car wash solution that safely stripped wax. I would apply the 845, wait a day or so, wash the vehicle again and re-apply the 845. I made sure that I did it late October to mid November and it would last until the spring.

Yes, I put the bottle in a pot of hot water, shook it well and used it. I would typically wash the car, clay it if needed, or use a product added to the car wash solution that safely stripped wax. I would apply the 845, wait a day or so, wash the car again and re-apply the 845. I made sure that I did it late October to mid November and it would last until the spring.

The first time I used Collinite was after I had compounded then polished fiberglass gelcoat to remove some oxidation and neglect. I had heard great things about Collinite and planned to use it as the last step on this 3 step (compound/polish/wax) gelcoat restoration. I did not realize the wax is way easier to apply when warm... Always heat it now, though!

There are so many good products on the market now. Menzerna, AngelWax, 3D etc.

Back