College football playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an Ohio State Alum, I thought for sure that the Bucks would get beat by Wisconsin, and then I thought for sure that Alabama would beat them.

Guess that makes me 0-2. Not even going to hazard a guess, but if I were a betting person, I would probably favor Oregon. Only thing that I can say is the Bucks handle the underdog role much better than they do when they are favored.

That's why they play them. Time will tell.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Oregon is a machine.

They'll take it. Plus, it's against the normally choking Big10.

That was b-4 Urban Meyer. Probably the best coach in College Football.

Oregon is a machine.

Big Ten Chokes?

Would that be like Wisconsin choking against Auburn? Afterall, Wisconsin is a traditional Big Ten built big-strong corn-fed run heavy team.

How about Michigan State choking against Baylor?

Baylor!!!

You know how much [nonsense] I received about my Horned Frogs being ranked above the Bears? And Baylor loses to Sparty.

I won't guarantee a Buckeye win. But historically, when everyone counts them out? They come out on top. Ask Miami in 2003. Ask Oregon in 2010. Ask 'Bama just a few days ago.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I am soooooooo glad FSU got their [censored] kicked
smile.gif

Me too! That is all that really mattered to me! I was pulling for an SEC team but as long as FSU got a good beat down I am happy.

Did anyone else notice that the Noles ran off the field after the game? No handshakes?

Poor sportsmanship. They were beaten, fair and square...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
mcrn said:
Did anyone else notice that the Noles ran off the field after the game? No handshakes?

Poor sportsmanship. They were beaten, fair and square...
That story got legs. Says something about the program and players. To his credit Jamison went over and shook hands. Maybe the young man is finally growing up.

Oh how this turned out to be false
smile.gif

Not that my Mizzou Tigers could beat them. But oilBabe and I did get to see them in person in Orlando for hte Citrus Bowl.

Then we watched with the then soon to be crestfallen FSU fans as the Ducks pummelled them. Followed by the Sugar Bowl results mentioned above.

I think the playoff, even if you think it needs 8 teams, addresses some of the questions about the favortism of the selection committee.

I'm looking forward to OSU and Oregon playing next Monday!

Originally Posted By: LScowboy
no one can beat Alabama, other than occasionally Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M

that has been shown year after year after year

Originally Posted By: grampi

OSU would've been chosen for the 4th playoff spot even if they had beaten the Badgers by only one point. Alabama vs OSU is a big brand name matchup that = big $$$$...and I'm not saying they don't deserve the 4th spot cuz they do, but Alabama vs TCU or Baylor just doesn't have the same appeal...more subjectivity hard at work within the college ranks..

Too bad Baylor didn't prove themselves in their bowl game. They lost a very winnable game.

TCU on the other hand, made a convincing case they should have have been in the top 4.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Oregon is a machine.

Big Ten Chokes?

Would that be like Wisconsin choking against Auburn? Afterall, Wisconsin is a traditional Big Ten built big-strong corn-fed run heavy team.

How about Michigan State choking against Baylor?

Baylor!!!

You know how much [nonsense] I received about my Horned Frogs being ranked above the Bears? And Baylor loses to Sparty.

I won't guarantee a Buckeye win. But historically, when everyone counts them out? They come out on top. Ask Miami in 2003. Ask Oregon in 2010. Ask 'Bama just a few days ago.

I think what he meant by "normally" is that in previous years, the Big 10 has not done well in the bowls...this year was an exception...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Spazdog said:
I think what he meant by "normally" is that in previous years, the Big 10 has not done well in the bowls...this year was an exception...

Very true. That might be changing. Lets face it..football is king in the South. Warm weather + when recruits go visiting campuses they se babes in winter coats vs bikinis...duhhh. Also I don't think its a great reach to suggest southern schools are a bit more academic friendly..although not always.
Also in the north you really need to play a different brand of FBall bc of the cold weather. Force the SEC teams to play a winter schedule and you would see a difference.

Given all that with Urban and Harbaugh are game changers. Wisconsin and MSU have great coaches. And don't rule out PSU's Franklin. He can recruit with the best of them. Also the Big Ten excells in Wrestling, Woman's VB and is pretty good in Men's BasketBall. This is attracting kids from other schools in other sports. Talk about Stadium size and its a BigTen slam dunk.

So things are changing but I have no ilusion that the SEC will continue to be #1 in FB.

Last edited:
Football is king in the south....until basketball season starts! Kentucky is number one, Duke is number 2, Virginia is number 3...etc!

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Football is king in the south....until basketball season starts! Kentucky is number one, Duke is number 2, Virginia is number 3...etc!

Competitive sports in general in the south.

You can practice/play year round in the south.

Look at the roster for OSU. More and more players from Texas and Florida every year.

You have to go pretty far down the list to find players on Oregon's roster that are from Oregon. They are all from California, Arizona, Texas, Hawaii...

And it's bleeding over to other sports. I actually see kids practicing Lacrosse here!
Lacrosse!
I was astonished at how many people in college up north played Lacrosse. I had only vaguely heard of the sport. Fast-Forward (mumbled...2+decades) and there are kids playing it here. Go to the mall hockey rink? Hockey players.

Most of the experts said there's no way the Buckeyes could beat Wisconsin with a 3rd string QB.

Most of the experts said there's no way the Buckeyes could beat a strong, speedy, Physical team like Alabama with a 3rd string QB. The experts said it was a bad match up.

Most of the experts are saying the Buckeyes don't have the speed and stamina to keep up with Ducks. It's also a bad match up.

I'm not an expert, but I do see a pattern.

Originally Posted By: whip
Most of the experts said there's no way the Buckeyes could beat Wisconsin with a 3rd string QB.

Most of the experts said there's no way the Buckeyes could beat a strong, speedy, Physical team like Alabama with a 3rd string QB. The experts said it was a bad match up.

Most of the experts are saying the Buckeyes don't have the speed and stamina to keep up with Ducks. It's also a bad match up.

I'm not an expert, but I do see a pattern.

Ohio State basher Mark May's face says it all:
Joey Galloway/ Mark May

Originally Posted By: gman2304

Well I was mainly referring to the SEC. Football...more or less. Like in the North you have Wrestling.. not saying the SEC doesn't have Wrestling but......They don't have a team in the top 25. Just depends where you want to put your resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back