Coleman fuel in a 2 stroke engine?

Coleman fuel is mostly naphtha and seemingly lasts forever in the can. Could it be used to run a 2 stroke trimmer or saw with the appropriate ratio of oil? Any advantage like not damaging seals and fuel lines? Any disadvantages other than cost?

Nope. Octane is too low. Most engines call for 89 octane. Coleman fuel is 50-55 plus there are no detergents in it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221218-201921.jpg
    Screenshot_20221218-201921.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 25
Since unleaded gas came out it can be used in Coleman lanterns and stoves however I am not saying to do this. The Coleman dual fuel stoves, lanterns, and cookers can used unleaded gasoline however the old models will burn unleaded gas too. In the old days they used what was called white gas.

Since unleaded gas came out it can be used in Coleman lanterns and stoves however I am not saying to do this. The Coleman dual fuel stoves, lanterns, and cookers can used unleaded gasoline however the old models will burn unleaded gas too. In the old days they used what was called white gas.
They can yes, but when I've done that the stove fuel generator has clogged up much faster than with Coleman fuel. I have not wanted to try it with the lantern.

They can yes, but when I've done that the stove fuel generator has clogged up much faster than with Coleman fuel. I have not wanted to try it with the lantern.
I never tried it in the stove. We used to used 4 lanterns each ice fishing and there were usually 2 of us therefore we had 8 lanterns going. We used them all the time because the heat from the lantern would keep the ice fishing hole from freezing up if you were not in an ice shack. Granted it had to be a halfway decent day to start with. I agree the Coleman fuel more than likely burns cleaner however I never had a problem with the lanterns. I am using all propane now for heaters in the ice shack and use a battery operated light bar in my ice house instead of a lantern.

Attachments

• Zyi%sirwR7iopCuXz8ELrQ.jpg
    Zyi%sirwR7iopCuXz8ELrQ.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 15
I never tried it in the stove. We used to used 4 lanterns each ice fishing and there were usually 2 of us therefore we had 8 lanterns going. We used them all the time because the heat from the lantern would keep the ice fishing hole from freezing up if you were not in an ice shack. Granted it had to be a halfway decent day to start with. I agree the Coleman fuel more than likely burns cleaner however I never had a problem with the lanterns. I am using all propane now for heaters in the ice shack and use a battery operated light bar in my ice house instead of a lantern.
Yes the propane is better I believe. It is just that I hate camping, so I compensate by having fun with old-school gasoline Coleman appliances. Most people seem to have moved away from them for convenience but I still like futzing around with them :)

Yes the propane is better I believe. It is just that I hate camping, so I compensate by having fun with old-school gasoline Coleman appliances. Most people seem to have moved away from them for convenience but I still like futzing around with them :)
Me too. Reminds me of camping with my Dad many decades ago. Canvas tent. Coleman appliances. Futzing around is part of camping…

I agree. I still have the 2 burner Coleman gas stove, a backpack gas stove, and a dual fuel lantern. I like messing with that old Coleman stuff too. It kind of brings back old memories when I use that old school stuff. You can buy those items really inexpensively second hand or from pawn shops. Coleman really did it right the first time with their products.

Back