Cold start wear vs. hi/low viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by MGBV8:
information from Mobil re Scoobies.

Mobil 1 0W-40
Subaru Japan have stated that all oils with a 0W rating will invalidate engine warranty. This is because 0W viscosity has not been tested by Fuji Heavy Industries and is unlikely to be tested by them in the near future. It is not a result of engine problems and is not related to synthetic technology or oil quality. This oil which operates at temperatures as low as minus 54 degrees exceeds the quality level required of Subaru vehicles. This oil was used by customers for 2 years in Subaru engines without any claims for engine failure before the Warranty Bulletin was produced regarding OW oils.
Mobil recommend Mobil 1 0W-40 for vehicles outside warranty.

Mobil 1 15W-50

Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W-50 uses the same synthetic technology which results in fast flow rates and reduced friction. It is designed for ardous race and rally use at the highest temperatures where a thicker more stable oil is required. Again this lubricant has not been tested by Fuji Heavy Industries so they cannot give approval.
Mobil recommend 15W-50 for use outside of the warranty.

Mobil 1 5W-40

Using the same technology as Mobil 1 0W-40, MOBIL HAS MADE MOBIL 1 5W-40 EXCLUSIVELY AVAILABLE TO SUBARU DEALERS.
This product fulfils the viscosity requirements of Subaru for use in all of their model range. Mobil 1 5W-40 makes available the same benefits achieved by Mobil 1 without the extreme low temperature capability and ulta quick circulation offered by the 0W rated product. Mobil 1 5W-40 will be available exclusively to Subaru dealers for routine servicing. For interim lubricant top-up, we advise customers to either return to dealer for top-up or use Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W-50 for DIY top-up. While Motorosport is 15W-50m, the viscosity will have negligible effect on the sump viscosity and the lubricants are totally compatible.

Semi-synthetics 10W-40

Mobil Super S 10W-40 and Duchams QXR 10W-40 have been accepted for use during the warranty period and whilst not delivering the optimum performance of fully synthetic engine oil, they still exceed the performance requirements necessary to meet the Subaru warranty.

Summary

During the warranty period and in order to adhere to the viscosity requirements of the Subaru warranty, Mobil recommend the use of Mobil 1 5W-40, Mobil Super S 10W-40 or Duckhams QXR 10W-40. Out of warranty, Mobil recommend Mobil 1 OW-40 or Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W-50"

MGBV8: You're in the UK, correct? Interesting info you've posted here. This statement has me a bit worried about using "German" Castrol 0w-30 in my '05 STi:

"Subaru Japan have stated that all oils with a 0W rating will invalidate engine warranty."

May I ask where this information came from? Subaru discussion forum? Personal e-mail from Mobil to you? Mobil UK web site? Some other place?

I guess I better keep some 5w-30 oil receipts in case I ever need to show S.O.A. (Subaru of America) an oil-change log if I ever run into oil-related engine issues with my Subie (not likely, IMHO).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back