Cold Start Thickness - Dr. Haas

Status
Not open for further replies.
First I'd say that you need to lock down whatever is throwing the numbers you're getting. The engine itself should do fine on a 30 grade oil.

You've got some factoring (isolation) to do before you need to worry too much about the difference between using a 0w-5w-10w oil. Unless you're ...hmmm..even if you are in PA's version of Frostbite Falls over the winter. ..I don't see it being that big a factor. Millions of Canadians endure worse with the thinnest oils available ...daily ..and a few of them are LS1 owners

I am near Philly, so our winters aren't too bad. And I agree with you completely about locking down whats up with those UOA numbers.
wink.gif

I didn't realize so many assumed a thicker oil automatically caused more wear. Sad. I would love to know how a thicker cushion of oil causes more wear. I'm tired of hearing about cold flow. As long as you're using the correct viscosity for the temperatures, the time it takes for the oil to get to parts is the same. So many people reciting what they hear but have never been inside of an engine.

I have to go with more wear occurs during the warmup process due to increased tolerance when talking about the cylinders/rings.

I've noticed my engines lasting longer with a 200 degree thermostat vs a 160. The car is in closed loop feedback mode and runs the same AF at either temp so it's not a rich mixture causing the wear.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
No. Before oils reach their normalized temperatures ..more wear is occurring. I've not seen conclusive evidence that it's not a normal process variable of the engine components reaching thermal saturation ..at least in terms of cylinder:ring wear.

Dr. Haas suggests that it's due to viscosity. I offer that it can be ill fitment of parts (at least in terms of cylinder:ring wear). When the wear event reaches zero ..it's also when the oil is at operating/normalized temp. It's also when the engine is done absorbing free btu's and is ejecting them out through the oil. Heat is an equal opportunity escaping agent.

That is, the oil is an indicator of thermal saturation. So, warm oil may have greater additive potential, but it always coincides with the internal parts reaching their normal expansion limits. Pistons are fully expanded ..etc..etc.

Edit: Using heated oils for testing (in a lab) would probably still leave speculation as to the relationship. If one suggests that heated oil ..and the additive activation thresholds, are the principle wear reduction agents, then one should experience zero wear with heated oils. I don't think that would be the result of such testing. Reduced wear, maybe ..and maybe even greater reductions than cold oil in a heated engine, but I'm pretty sure it will be a combination of the two actions that are responsible for the "90% of wear that occurs at startup".

Here is what Dr. Haas had to say, it cleared up a lot of confuson for me.

Motor Oil 102
Chapter two. It gets more difficult.

We left off discussing that a 0W-30 weight oil is not thinner than a 10W-30 oil. They both have the same thickness at operating temperature. The 0W-30 simply does not get as thick on cooling as the 10W-30. Both are still way to thick to lubricate an engine at startup.

I have heard several people say that Porsche specifically prohibits a 0W-XX engine oil, that it is too thin. Now here is the partial truth I spoke of earlier. We will discuss multigrade oils. Earlier we said that a straight 30 weight oil has a thickness of 10 at the normal operating temperature of your engine. The multigrade oils 0W-30 and 10W-30 also have a thickness of 10 at 212 F.

The difference is at 75 F, your startup temperature in the morning.

Oil type... Thickness at 75 F...Thickness at 212 F

Straight 30...... 250......................10
10W-30............100......................10
0W-30..............40 ......................10

Straight 10........30....................... 6

Now you can see that the difference between the desired thickness your engine requires ( = 10 ) is closest to the 0W-30 oil at startup. It is still too thick for normal operation. But it does not have far to go before it warms up and thins to the correct viscosity. Remember that most engine wear occurs at startup when the oil is too thick to lubricate properly. It cannot flow and therefore cannot lubricate. Most of the thick oil at startup actually goes through the bypass valve back to the engine oil sump and not into your engine oil ways. This is especially true when you really step on that gas pedal. You really need more lubrication and you actually get less.

Note that a straight 10 weight oil is also too thick for your engine at startup. It has a thickness of 30. Yet at operating temperatures it is too thin having a thickness of 6. It needs to be around 10. The oil companies have added viscosity index improvers or VI to oils to solve this dilemma. They take a mineral based oil and add VI improvers so that it does not thin as as much when it gets hotter. Now instead of only having a thickness of 6 when hot it has a thickness of 10, just as we need.

The penalty is the startup thickness also goes up to 100. This is better than being up at 250 as a straight 30 weight oil though. Oil with a startup thickness of 100 that becomes the appropriate thickness of 10 when fully warmed up is called a 10W-30 weight motor oil. This is NOT as thick as a straight 30 weight oil at startup and it is NOT as thin as a straight 10 weight oil at full operating temperature.

The downside of a mineral based multigrade oil is that this VI additive wears out over time and you end up with the original straight 10 weight oil. It will go back to being too thin when hot. It will have a thickness of 6 instead of 10. This may be why Porsche (according to some people) does not want a 0W-30 but rather a 10W-30. If the VI wears out the 0W-30 will ultimately be thinner, a straight 0 weight oil. When the VI is used up in the 10W-30 oil it too is thinner. It goes back to a straight 10 weight oil. They are both still too thick at startup, both of them. The straight 0 weight oil, a 5 weight oil and a 10 weight oil are all too thick at startup.

This is just theory however. With normal oil change intervals the VI improver will not wear out and so the problem does not really exist. In fact, oils do thin a little with use. This is partly from dilution with blow by gasoline and partly from VI improvers being used up. What is more interesting is that with further use motor oils actually thicken and this is much worse than the minimal thinning that may have occurred earlier.

Synthetic oils are a whole different story. There is no VI improver added so there is nothing to wear out. The actual oil molecules never wear out. You could almost use the same oil forever. The problem is that there are other additives and they do get used up. I suppose if there was a good way to keep oil clean you could just add a can of additives every 6 months and just change the filter, never changing the oil.

When the additives wear out in a synthetic oil it still has the same viscosity. It will not thin as a mineral oil. The fear that some say Porsche has that oils thin when the VI runs out is not applicable to these synthetic oils. These oils will always have the correct thickness when hot and will still be too thick at startup as with all oils of all types, regardless of the API / SAE viscosity rating.

Automotive engine manufacturers know these principals of motor oils. They know there is thinning or thickening that will occur. They take these things into account when they write that owners manual. Mineral oil change recommendations will generally include shorter time intervals than those of synthetic oils.

The reality is that motor oils do not need to be changed because they thin with use. It is the eventual thickening that limits the time you may keep oil in your engine. The limit is both time itself (with no motor use) and/or mileage use.

End of part two.

----------------------------------------------------------

Based on this I'll stick to a 0W-xx oil.

AD

MOST of the oil bypasses?

I assume he has never run an oil pump with a drill on an engine in a car and watched what happens?

There is a LOT of oil; even if it's 20w50 in the pan that gets to the top-end of the engine, meaning it has already passed through the bearings..........

Theory can be fun.

Gary's take, that the oil is not PROTECTING optimally until it reaches operating temperature makes a LOT more sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's foregetting that some of the oil additives such as zinc stick to the engines internals and prevent wear at startup.

I hear you, the point I was trying to bring out is the 0W-xx does not have far to go before it warms up and thins to the correct viscosity. This cuts down on wear according to Dr. Hass, and is what I was trying to convey before. I think this point he is making is correct.

AD

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
He's foregetting that some of the oil additives such as zinc stick to the engines internals and prevent wear at startup.

He's taking about how an oil starts out, and thins to grade once it heats up. He isn't discussing additives in this article.

Quote:
Gary's take, that the oil is not PROTECTING optimally until it reaches operating temperature makes a LOT more sense.

Well, I'm not sure about that, I'm just not attributing it to viscosity all by itself.

(looking for a little help from the "chem-heads")
I'll assume that our AW agents that are in suspension in the oil are (reaching) endothermic in the bonding process. They either require heat or react/bond faster with heat. Even if they were isothermic (or so I reason) the rate of the process would probably be accelerated.

The problem with isolating the "90% of wear that occurs at start up" is that you're also warming up the parts with the oil.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:

Well, I'm not sure about that, I'm just not attributing it to viscosity all by itself.

(looking for a little help from the "chem-heads")
I'll assume that our AW agents that are in suspension in the oil are (reaching) endothermic in the bonding process. They either require heat or react/bond faster with heat. Even if they were isothermic (or so I reason) the rate of the process would probably be accelerated.

The problem with isolating the "90% of wear that occurs at start up" is that you're also warming up the parts with the oil.

Indeed, you have parts that do not reach "ideal" clearances until they are up to temperature as well. I doubt it has (as) much to do with viscosity as what seems to be implied.....

We just need an oil thats the same viscosity at all temps!

Gary can we pass on some suggestions to the SAE or someone for some sequence testing??

This is very interesting, and I'm loving the different POV's.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1

Here is what Dr. Haas had to say, it cleared up a lot of confuson for me.

Motor Oil 102
Chapter two. It gets more difficult.

We left off discussing that a 0W-30 weight oil is not thinner than a 10W-30 oil. They both have the same thickness at operating temperature. The 0W-30 simply does not get as thick on cooling as the 10W-30. Both are still way to thick to lubricate an engine at startup.

Dead wrong. I've watched my 20w-50 flow nearly instantly with the valvecovers off on a winter startup. I've watched it pressurize the turbo's journal bearings nearly instanly when started cold. I watch my mechanical oil pressure guage rise instanly during a cold 20w-50 start.

Oil type... Thickness at 75 F...Thickness at 212 F

Straight 30...... 250......................10
10W-30............100......................10
0W-30..............40 ......................10

Straight 10........30....................... 6

Now you can see that the difference between the desired thickness your engine requires ( = 10 ) is closest to the 0W-30 oil at startup. It is still too thick for normal operation.

But it does not have far to go before it warms up and thins to the correct viscosity. Remember that most engine wear occurs at startup when the oil is too thick to lubricate properly. It cannot flow and therefore cannot lubricate. Most of the thick oil at startup actually goes through the bypass valve back to the engine oil sump and not into your engine oil ways. This is especially true when you really step on that gas pedal. You really need more lubrication and you actually get less.

Wow, this is sad. So far from the truth I'm at a loss of words. What do you people think, an engine sits there and grinds metal to metal until the oil warms up? If this were true, it would take one cold start to send it to the junkyard. Some oil bypasses in order to control pressure. Everything that's normally lubricated when hot is lubricated within a second of a cold start. It's not optimal and I don't suggest making a 1/4 pass when cold but this is being blown waaaaaay out of proportion.

The penalty is the startup thickness also goes up to 100. This is better than being up at 250 as a straight 30 weight oil though. Oil with a startup thickness of 100 that becomes the appropriate thickness of 10 when fully warmed up is called a 10W-30 weight motor oil. This is NOT as thick as a straight 30 weight oil at startup and it is NOT as thin as a straight 10 weight oil at full operating temperature.

The downside of a mineral based multigrade oil is that this VI additive wears out over time and you end up with the original straight 10 weight oil. It will go back to being too thin when hot. It will have a thickness of 6 instead of 10. This may be why Porsche (according to some people) does not want a 0W-30 but rather a 10W-30. If the VI wears out the 0W-30 will ultimately be thinner, a straight 0 weight oil. When the VI is used up in the 10W-30 oil it too is thinner. It goes back to a straight 10 weight oil. They are both still too thick at startup, both of them. The straight 0 weight oil, a 5 weight oil and a 10 weight oil are all too thick at startup.

This is just theory however. With normal oil change intervals the VI improver will not wear out and so the problem does not really exist. In fact, oils do thin a little with use. This is partly from dilution with blow by gasoline and partly from VI improvers being used up. What is more interesting is that with further use motor oils actually thicken and this is much worse than the minimal thinning that may have occurred earlier.

It's not just the VIIS "wearing out" that we're worrying about. They will temporarily shear under high loads so viscosity temporarily goes down toward the lower number.

Synthetic oils are a whole different story. There is no VI improver added so there is nothing to wear out. The actual oil molecules never wear out. You could almost use the same oil forever. The problem is that there are other additives and they do get used up. I suppose if there was a good way to keep oil clean you could just add a can of additives every 6 months and just change the filter, never changing the oil.

A very broad statement. A more correct statement would be "some synthetics use no VIIs" or "synthetics use less VIIs" or "synthetics may use higher quality VIIs." Most synthetics that I've read about do use VIIs. The ones that don't use VIIs are more rare than the ones that do use them.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
In general, 0Wxx meets or exceeds the requirements of 5-10Wxx. If cost of each is the same, I would use 0Wxx over 5-10Wxx.

I agree, I see no reason not to use 0w-20 in place of 5w-20 if cost doesn't matter. That's assuming what I've read in here is true like it has to be a synthetic to qualify for the 0w rating, uses no more VIIs than a 5w-20 (which may not use any), etc....

Actually to clarify, I would have no problem using a 0w-20 over a 5w-20. I would still prefer a 10w-30 over a 5w-30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Can we at least believe that Mobil 1's 0W-20 exceeds the requirements of 5W-20?

Sure. Why not. How about this. Take a 5w-20 ..and make it react just like it does now in cold spec's ..except have it do it at -5F colder.

There you have it! 0w-20!!

There's a decent amount of stuff contained within the writings of the good Dr. Haas. Just don't consider all of it gospel. There's a bit of speculation/opinion there that's up for debate.

Hey, if I was so smart, I'd have the fancy house and the toys.
LOL.gif

ya if oil didn't flow when it's cold all motors would be worn out or blown apart up here in the far north the first winter.

but I still think 0w-X full syn is best for below 0 F startups

how about oil that's not flowing and under pressure doesn't lubricate?

There are surely other properties of oil and other polymers, than simple viscosity: Isn't it so that the thermodynamic properties/state of the long molecular chains in oil and polymers will change with the absorbed heat, affecting viscosity BUT also the physical form the molecules? Ie. the oil and VI molecules will be more "ball like" when hot and thus make a thinner fluid that is also cause the engine surfaces to be kept more apart?
Compare to a bag of rope and a bag of footballs: If you sit on those bags, you will be higher off the ground sitting on the footballs.
1. Could this be why "thin" hot oil protect better than the "thick" cold oil?
2. Could this be why you don't measure cold viscosity, but Pumpability? Ie. the cold viscosity is not what really matter: When cold it is only a question of getting any fluid into the bearings?
3. Except for the additives, this is what makes separates good from bad oil. A base stock that is uniform and "hot like" at a wide temp range is then better?

Please, strike my reasoning down.

A positive displacement gear pump should pump the same amount of fluid per revolution, no matter how fast it is turning.
That said: thinner fluid will enter the pump quicker and fill it closer to 100%.
I recall someone posting here - IIRC he was an oil blender - that pumping thinner base stock from one tank to another took noticeable less time than a thicker base stock, using the same (positive displacement) gear pump at the same revs.
Now look at an engine oil pump at a rev range between 1000-6000 rpm.
IMO you will see output differences between thick and thin oil.

The bypass valve is pressure operated.
Thinner oil produces less pressure = less opening.

Oh well....
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back