Coil spring compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any tips on where to rent or buy, and if the latter what brands? Don't really want to do that for one use, but not sure what options I'll have...

Somewhat depends upon the application. MB coil springs have been known to break the typical free rental compressors from auto parts stores.

Given the energy contained, if it fits, IMO you can never go too heavy duty for a spring compressor...

I got the harbor freight $12 special but work on mostly economy cars. (Read: soft springs) Has cut, not machined, threads; keeping them lubed is a big part of the bargain.

Sometimes you can actually use the car as the spring compressor with a jack under the control arm.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I got the harbor freight $12 special but work on mostly economy cars. (Read: soft springs) Has cut, not machined, threads; keeping them lubed is a big part of the bargain.

Sometimes you can actually use the car as the spring compressor with a jack under the control arm.

With the HF compressors, get two sets. You can usually get a 3rd if not all four on a spring. So the load is distributed over more than just two.

Who says you have to use only two?

Originally Posted By: eljefino

If the car has an upper arm, you can also loop a chain around it and the underside of the jack, forcing the spring to compress with jack movement.

I have used the free loaner Auto Zone model several times with success. It looks like the one SLCraig listed.

I wear this during use....it may not help, but it makes me feel safer:

ultravisor.png

If you're shopping around for those threaded rod kind of compressors, look for Acme threads. I've found that Acme threaded rods work smoother and with a lot less effort than compressors with regular threaded rods.

Protection against "spring-face" isn't a bad idea. I'm more afraid of those wobble impact sockets.

Last edited:
Check Google Images for a Pneumatic Strut Compressor. Note that most have a swing guard on the front to prevent you from being cut in half if the spring lets go. A shop or auto store that has one will swap your struts for a small fee, way less than your time spent running compressor nuts down.

Last edited:
I happen to have a Brannick wall mount at the house that came out of a closed Goodyear store. I don't mind using it because of the guards and safety features that it has. I am very nervous using the top and bottom single hook style that is rented at mosty parts stores.

Givin a choice, I would take them off and have someone at a parts store or shop replace the struts for a small fee. If you do use the single hook clamp style, put 3 of them at the thrid points for increased safety. It only takes a single "uh-oh" to ruin your day and possibly your life.

I borrowed one of those single hook ones and fought with that thing for couple hours.
I said "screw this" and had a mechanic down the road do it for 20 bucks. Worth every
penny.

How about this one?

43753.gif

I found a clip on YouTube of a guy fitting springs to his struts one handed with this type of tool. One hand holds the tool clipped onto the spring, the other hand runs an impact wrench on the bolt head to compress the spring. OK, so he was using both hands, but it looked so darn easy.....

Currently $50 at Harbor Freight. But all the auto mags (Car & Driver, Automobile, etc.) have HF ads with a 20% Off coupon, making this a $40 strut compressor.

Last edited:
I Picked up one of those from Harbor Freight for $35, with a coupon. I'm going to try it out today. I'll leave some feedback on how well it works.

Last edited:
Used the Harbor feight compressor today, not too impressed. The spring wanted to bow, just like using the kind of compressor's with the 2 seperate treaded rods & hooks. I used it on a Nissan Altima, the wasn't much length in the spring, to position the compressor in the right spot. This compressor mybe better on taller springs.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll stick to letting a mechanic do that
part for me. Might only do it once every 10 yrs or so.

The compressors you rent for free at the auto parts stores don't fit on Neons and likely a lot of other economy cars. I had to modify it to make it work. I'd tell you how I did it but I already know you guys wouldn't approve. I'm rather surprised the assembly didn't go pop and the spring release all its energy at once LOL!

Would one like this work? I'm thinking of buying one to change to do the struts on my Neon. I need new bumpstops and upper mounts and I got some ACR springs.
struttool.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back