Looking for advice on gas air compressors.

I know I've asked about compressors before. I didn't end up buying one.

I'm slowly shopping for a gas powered one now.
I'm looking at the wheelbarrow style ones with the honda engines.

My question is how much do I have to worry about the pumps?
They usually just say "cast iron oil lubricated"

The compressor brands I'm looking at are metabo (I think used to be Hitachi)
Rolair
And Be power equipment.
They all have honda engines with cast iron oil lubricated pumps.
Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas

The wheelbarrow style are designed primarily for roofers and their pneumatic nail guns; you know that right?

It pays to buy a brand name that has been around for many years. Don't know if IR or Quincy or other century old compressor manufacturers sell that style, but parts/service is sometimes near impossible for lesser brands.
Your tire machine is in a fixed environment is it not? Do you need portability because you are saying gas and portable.

The wheelbarrow ones are only 8 to 10 gallons. It doesn't need to be portable. The only reason I'm looking at a gas one is because I'm limited to 120V 15A power.
I was hoping to get a higher cfm with gas so I don't burn it out.

The wheelbarrow ones are only 8 to 10 gallons. It doesn't need to be portable. The only reason I'm looking at a gas one is because I'm limited to 120V 15A power.
I was hoping to get a higher cfm with gas so I don't burn it out.
Makes sense.

How many hours you plan on working it on a daily basis or weekly basis. What CFM needs do you really need gas powered will run continuously it just run unloaded as soon as it hits tank pressure setting.

Based on the pat year I'd probably average 4 hours a month. I've just been helping out friends and family along with the odd friend of a friend. Based on what I have now 9 cfm would be enough and 13 cfm would be more then enough.

This was a different animal but my father had a late 1950's Joy air compressor that was used to power a jackhammer. I hated that thing! The smell of the oil when it was running made you nauseous. It was a red tow behind model with zero safety features. I went off to college and don't know what became of it. I know it was made in western NY. Here's a photo of a 1969 model:

1969 Joy compressor.jpg

Definitely the Honda engine and with that little use I’d probably just get the Rollair most pumps in that category are 15K hr pump life expectancy. Budget will be the biggest criteria if wanting to go a bit bigger nobody ever complained of having to much air I’d look at a Jenny compressor also.

Thanks. honda is a must for me, I can't believe how much better they work compared to the other engines. I'm giving myself a few months to buy one and am keeping an eye one the used market. What do you think of the eagle brand?

Thanks. honda is a must for me, I can't believe how much better they work compared to the other engines. I'm giving myself a few months to buy one and am keeping an eye one the used market. What do you think of the eagle brand?
I have no personal use with one but they seem like a fine unit.

Back