Cocked and locked 1911 discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

I have a 1911A1 that I often carry or have in the car with me. For some reason cocked and locked creeps me out and I have found out that it creeps my wife out too. Awhile back I left it on my computer desk (unloaded) cocked and locked and after some time she noticed it there, ran and got me asking me if I had lost my mind. The liquor store I go to has this guy that open carry's a 1911 working behind the counter. Every time I am at the register that gets my attention. (Likely that is why he has it like that.)

Even though I have heard otherwise I carry mine with a round in the chamber and the hammer down. I probably should do a test for myself and cock and lock an empty chamber then insert the magazine and carry it that way. It would be the same as carrying the gun with an empty chamber and maybe prove to me mentally that the safeties really do work.

How do you carry your 1911 and why?

Originally Posted By: KW
Even though I have heard otherwise I carry mine with a round in the chamber and the hammer down.

Unless your 1911 is a Series 80 Colt, or one of the other modern clones with a firing pin safety, hammer down on a loaded chamber is probably the least safe way to carry that gun.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Agree with rg200amp. If your worried about this method, carry a Glock or a revolver.

I don't want a Glock or a revolver, I only want to discuss the the safe carry of a 1911.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Even though I have heard otherwise I carry mine with a round in the chamber and the hammer down.

Unless your 1911 is a Series 80 Colt, or one of the other modern clones with a firing pin safety, hammer down on a loaded chamber is probably the least safe way to carry that gun.

I thought it had a spring loaded firing pin.

I thought this was interesting:

http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/1911_conditions.htm
------------------------------------------------
Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also known as "cocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.

Condition 3 - The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.
------------------------------------------------

Condition 3 is a really safe way to go ... but of course you would have to cycle the slide before rock & rollin'. IMO, 99.9% of the time you will have time to cycle the slide, mostly if only using in a home defense. If you were a LEO type, then Condition 1 would probably be the carry mode for a 1911.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

I thought it had a spring loaded firing pin.

He's saying that if it does not have a firing pin block or transfer plate, then having the hammer down with one in the chamber is a dangerous way to carry.

KW,

The 1911's are designed for field usage and should not be use in that way you described!!!!

If you must have a 1911 type I suggest you look into a Para Ordnance with the double action trigger system. That should take care of you issue unless you really want to get a revolver which is good also.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango

KW,

The 1911's are designed for field usage and should not be use in that way you described!!!!

If you must have a 1911 type I suggest you look into a Para Ordnance with the double action trigger system. That should take care of you issue unless you really want to get a revolver which is good also.

Durango

The 1911 he has now is fine. Carry it loaded, one in the chamber, with the safety one.
Nothing to worry about.

Originally Posted By: Durango

KW,

Durango

smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: tom slick
So if the BITOG community tells you the safest way to carry your 1911 is "cocked and locked" is that going to put your, and your wife's, mind at ease?

I don't think that would happen, but I think it is fun to discuss how others carry their 1911's and it the hammer back creeps them out too.

The 1911 was designed to be carried cocked and locked. That's why you have a manual safety and grip safety too. Not to mention the later models with the hammer block to prevent the firing pin from contacting a round if dropped, etc. I agree that it does make me feel a little squeemish, too, however!

True, it was designed to be carried cocked and locked. However there is nothing inherently dangerous about hammer down on a loaded chamber (the firing pin is shorter than its passage) EXCEPT..... If your thumb slips off the hammer(on a non series 80) it is going to go off. condition wise don't forget condition Fyfe - Empty chamber with one cartridge in the shirt pocket.

That is how they are made to be carried. In the early 70s the Sheriffs in what ever county Lake Berryessa is in carried 1911s cocked and locked. I thought it looked cool.

Originally Posted By: dickwells
True, it was designed to be carried cocked and locked. However there is nothing inherently dangerous about hammer down on a loaded chamber (the firing pin is shorter than its passage) EXCEPT..... If your thumb slips off the hammer(on a non series 80) it is going to go off.

With the hammer compressing the firing pin spring, you have just reduced or defeated the pistol's "drop safe" mechanism. With the possible exception of carrying it on half-cock, this is the least safe way to carry a 1911.

(One thing I like about the Hi-Power is that you can carry it on half-cock with safety engaged.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back