Coated rotors, do they work?

This is my first time using coated rotors. I got the NAPA ultra premium coated. My oem ones are 3 years old and got very crusty. Up here in the rust
belt I usually change brakes when there's still most of the meat left on them because of corrosion issues on pad backing and rotors.
Does that coating last long?

They 100% do work. I like and use the Raybestos Elements 3 rotors and all are still looking good at 3-4 years. The trick to keeping any coated rotor in good shape is go easy on the wheel cleaner, some products eg purple power can and do damage the coating.
Rotors that the middle are painted only generally only prevent corrosion between the hub and wheel only and are not the same as a full coated rotor.
The part the pads work on will still rust once driven.

Most definitely, just be sure to get the Elements 3 hybrid pads not the lower priced ones if they happen to offer them. I have installed a lot of these pads and rotors for myself and others on daily drivers and are very satisfied with them.

Gonna agree with this! Installed a set of E3 Hybrids all around on the beater car and they perform great with very minimal dusting. Just ordered a set for the fronts on the Camry so we'll see how they do on it. I didn't get the E3 rotors I went with the street performance (Raybestos as well, not slotted or grooved) due to the mountains around here, but they have performed well on the beater.

This is my first time using coated rotors. I got the NAPA ultra premium coated. My oem ones are 3 years old and got very crusty. Up here in the rust
belt I usually change brakes when there's still most of the meat left on them because of corrosion issues on pad backing and rotors.
Does that coating last long?

if it's done well, 8 years or more here in our rust belt. overheating kills the coating though.

Yes they work :)

Power Stop Geomet coated rotors have been great for me. They've been on the car for almost 2 years and still look good, even if they don't look 100% new.

Centric Premium and Wagner E-coated rotors don't last quite as long, but the coatings did still last more than a year, which is still very good. I would rate Wagner slightly higher than Centric, but both are quality rotors.

Non-coated rotors rust overnight or even within a few hours!

Here is a video on the ACDelco coated rotors (reboxed Raybestos):

He says they had been on the car for 2 years.

if it's done well, 8 years or more here in our rust belt. overheating kills the coating though.

8 years? :eek:

I don't even think pads would last 8 years, so the rotors would be replaced before 8 years anyway :sneaky:

Rear rotors from my car 8 years and 100k miles on them. I'll make some pics. The pads were much worse.

Collegue at work's wife has the same car, but his has never been tracked. The white coating is still pristine on his discs. The coating is completely gone on mine on the outside diameter, but on the hat it's there, just has some surface rust on it here and there. I'm not sure the inside was coated, nothing is left there anyway.

DSCN2157.JPG
DSCN2158.JPG

Last edited:
Rear rotors from my car 8 years and 100k miles on them. I'll make some pics. The pads were much worse.

Collegue at work's wife has the same car, but his has never been tracked. The white coating is still pristine on his discs. The coating is completely gone on mine on the outside diameter, but on the hat it's there, just has some surface rust on it here and there. I'm not sure the inside was coated, nothing is left there anyway.

View attachment 62699View attachment 62700

How difficult were they to slide off? Did they come off easily? Did you have to hit it with a hammer? :unsure:

I have 2 sets - one on a lexus sedan and another on an F150. Previously I stayed with Akebono and Hawk, before that the Wagner Thermoquiets; The Element3 pads are my hands-down favorite.
Absolutelly- in my experience and opinion much better than Akebonos

I'm another believer in the Raybestos Element 3 pads and rotors. Have them on the caravan. Just installed new rear rotors and pads a short time ago. I have a set of front rotors for the civic, I'll probably replace them some time this summer when the other household repairs are done.

Definitely work. I replaced front and rear rotors at the same time. The difference is clear.

Attachments

• 82E9991C-DF38-4F6F-B6E4-823C371929FE.jpeg
    82E9991C-DF38-4F6F-B6E4-823C371929FE.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 8C5E7C41-3405-4A34-929C-71C13A1935E1.jpeg
    8C5E7C41-3405-4A34-929C-71C13A1935E1.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 83
Yet another believe in Raybestos Element3 rotors and pads. The rotors simply do not rust down here in VA and the pads are especially phenomenal; they are GG edge-coded, have good cold bite, smooth and confident brake feel throughout normal application pressures, and can rip your face off when you stomp on the pedal.

Most definitely, just be sure to get the Elements 3 hybrid pads not the lower priced ones if they happen to offer them.
Do you know an example or two that has the hybrid and non-hybrid available ? For my Infiniti, Raybestos' website only lists hybrid material pads being available. I have a set of front and rear pads (and rotors) in my garage that I haven't put on yet. Geez ! I bought them going on 3 years ago but the current pads and rotors are fine...

It looks like Raybestos called their PGD part of the Element3 line but are phasing them out. Those were ceramic pads (for the cars we own).

There was a post a short time ago (I honestly don't remember who or what car) but he got Elements 3 that were rated EE, they were not the hybrids. If it say hybrid in the description you are good to go.

Back