CNBC : Why Tire Companies Love E.V.s'

Last edited:
Just don’t put on EV specific tires back onto your EV the next time you need tires. There are a lot of heavy vehicles on the road that don’t wear out their tires quickly as the article states. However by installing non specific EV tires on your EV, the tires should last longer to a more normal expectation. Keep in mind that you may not get the full mileage range out of your battery due to extra drag. But too, isn’t this what LRR tires are for?

Just like tire manufacturers made sport tires, snow tires, M&S tires etc....they are starting to make tires for EV's

Watched this last night .

Not so kind to the environment when in need of more tire replacement . Video included .

Heftier vehicles also contribute to more damage to roads in need of repair or replacement . Another minus for the environment . I'll stick to lighter hybrid or fuel effecient vehicle .

Our GS350 F Sport runs on sticky Michelin Pilot 4 S. 25K is about it. $1600 for a new set, all in.

Deformation and shearing forces from the torque (instant) and weight. That said, I am finding similar tire life for my ev and my gas sports cars of the past.

Depends on how it's driven. Drive mildly and the tires should last reasonably long. Marginally more weight won't account for considerably faster tire wear. Something like a Tesla Model 3 RWD is heavier than a comparable ICE sedan with the equivalent of maybe one adult male passenger. I've driven hard in a sports sedan and the tires didn't last.

I was thinking there could be some sort of tire-saver mode that is designed to prevent chirping the tires. That's the biggest source of wear.

Reactions: Ws6
Depends on how it's driven. Drive mildly and the tires should last reasonably long. Marginally more weight won't account for considerably faster tire wear. Something like a Tesla Model 3 RWD is heavier than a comparable ICE sedan with the equivalent of maybe one adult male passenger. I've driven hard in a sports sedan and the tires didn't last.

I was thinking there could be some sort of tire-saver mode that is designed to prevent chirping the tires. That's the biggest source of wear.
My EVs have all driven normally. You aren't hard on the tires unless you want to be.

My EVs have all driven normally. You aren't hard on the tires unless you want to be.

Unless there's some unusual situation where I need to haul it out of there in a hurry (which I've never seen), I'll take advantage of the progressive nature of acceleration. I've ended up chirping the tires on my manual transmissions cars when parked on a hill and trying to start moving without stalling. However, most EVs these days are newer vehicles with hill hold and where I can just feather it right off the line and then add more without burning rubber. Sometimes I just play around on an inclined driveway and can just crawl up while I wait for the garage door to close.

I suspect the people who find EV tires wear quickly are having a little too much fun.

True and now will be more environmental damage because the manufacturers will be forced to put heavy batteries in them instead of gas tanks
Well fortunately battery tech is constantly be improved so hopefully lighter and more energy dense batteries are coming.

Not in CO 2 as the article states. I would be much more concerned about all the plastics that the world uses and where it ends up including in our bodies.
Yeah, just posting information, I could care less about CO2 makes my trees and plants grow better. The USA is greener than it was in 1980

After all, it's only .004 percent of the air. Yeah, 100 years ago it may have been .003 Being cars contribute 15% of less of it, well, lets just say no matter what we do in the USA is going to change that, we are a spec on the map of the world population Ironically power production is much more a contributor to CO2 and here in the USA we are against clean Nuclear fuel.

Light cars Cars and trucks contribute 15% of CO2 in the USA (and again, we are a spec on the map of the world population, heck not even that)
Power production contributes 25% ... where is the drive for nuclear power?

Agree on the plastic!!! OMG, I get in debates sometimes in my large community here. People talk about water quality. (water is really good here) but you have those Dupont forever chemical traces in it. We have low levels, very low below fed levels but people get paranoid. We even have county wide reverse osmosis systems to bring it down even lower.
Anyway, I tell these people if you drink ANYTHING out of a plastic bottle you are getting far higher levels of nasty stuff in your body then if you just drank the tap water. Not only that, I tell them if they are cooking on non -stick cookware they are ingesting the chemicals that that fear in the water !*LOL*

and as a percentage below

Last edited:
True and now will be more environmental damage because the manufacturers will be forced to put heavy batteries in them instead of gas tanks

Are we just ignoring leaking underground fuel storage tanks, cars leaking oil/fluids/gasoline all over the roads, the use and disposal of engine oil, etc.? Also the refining of oil for the end result of gasoline and diesel is a very energy intensive process.

If we are talking about cradle to grave emissions for BEV we might as well calculate energy consumption for oil to be extracted, refined and transported for ICE vehicles as well. The magic gasoline and diesel don't just come straight out of the ground.....well literally it does at the end user but there are many more steps before it gets pumped into the ground at the filling stations.

Seems the common belief it is it takes about 5kwh of energy to refine 1 gallon of gasoline for consumer use. If this is still an accurate number this would have already sent an EV ~15-20 miles before that gallon of gas has even made it to the consumer.

Back