CNBC : Why Tire Companies Love E.V.s'

Nobody seems to be for the elimination of tractor trailers. A lot of that freight can go by rail.
I am.

In fact there was a proposal to add additional main rail lines out of the port of Charleston to lower truck traffic in 2016, and some local politicians along with one prominant state level one scuttled it. They said it was about the community, but it was really about donations from the single railroad currently with access that doesn't want any competition.

Maybe they will have more success this time: https://scspa.com/news/sc-ports-enhancing-rail-capabilities-capacity/

Are we just ignoring leaking underground fuel storage tanks, cars leaking oil/fluids/gasoline all over the roads, the use and disposal of engine oil, etc.? Also the refining of oil for the end result of gasoline and diesel is a very energy intensive process.

If we are talking about cradle to grave emissions for BEV we might as well calculate energy consumption for oil to be extracted, refined and transported for ICE vehicles as well. The magic gasoline and diesel don't just come straight out of the ground.....well literally it does at the end user but there are many more steps before it gets pumped into the ground at the filling stations.

Seems the common belief it is it takes about 5kwh of energy to refine 1 gallon of gasoline for consumer use. If this is still an accurate number this would have already sent an EV ~15-20 miles before that gallon of gas has even made it to the consumer.

When natural gas is no longer free - because its a by product of shale oil, what are all you EV drivers going to do to power your EV's. I guess its no longer dirty when it powers an EV?

Pot calling kettle.

1711818674203.jpg

Seems the common belief it is it takes about 5kwh of energy to refine 1 gallon of gasoline for consumer use. If this is still an accurate number this would have already sent an EV ~15-20 miles before that gallon of gas has even made it to the consumer.
Question becomes, where does that that 5kWhr of electricity come from? it was not free, after all.

Since Americans love their SUV's and Pick up's and they are heavy too....
The test would be to see how the F150 Lightning stacks up to a regular F150. I know the Lightning is heavier, but most tire wear is going to be from more aggressive driving. I know I was still at 7/32s on my F150 5.0 at somewhere around 40k miles. I would expect a heavier vehicle to go through them a bit faster, but I don't think the Lightning is going to double tire wear just being a bit heavier.

Regardless we're still going through bigger tires and more rubber as vehicles get heavier. Like I mentioned a day or two before I looked at a Lightning, but I just can't wrap my mind around going to a vehicle that weighs twice my current one to move me around which is what my daily does 95% of the time. It's a nice truck though. I'm just not going to go to an ICE one to be lighter and pay for gas at 20mpg. I know that if I bought the Lightning that would be the de facto vehicle my family would get in, so at every step I'm putting more weight on the road and using more power to do it since the current family vehicle is the Tesla. I still don't think I need a truck for my 1% possible truck use.

I am.

In fact there was a proposal to add additional main rail lines out of the port of Charleston to lower truck traffic in 2016, and some local politicians along with one prominant state level one scuttled it. They said it was about the community, but it was really about donations from the single railroad currently with access that doesn't want any competition.

Maybe they will have more success this time: https://scspa.com/news/sc-ports-enhancing-rail-capabilities-capacity/
The problem is whether it was intentional or not, railroads have squeezed out customers and forced them to using truck to move things around. For grain and large moves that can guarantee 100 cars for a unit train, it's no problem. For the customers that can only fill 2-3 railcars a week the Class 1s have just stopped servicing many of them unless they're on a main line. It takes a lot of want on their end to send a crew down a 5-10 mile long 10mph branch line for 2-3 cars. The Class 2 and Class 3 railroads will do it, but with what they pay it's hard for them to employ enough people to actually service these companies on time.

As a railroader I love the small customer work. It makes railroading fun and feels personal being on the ground talking to these customers. Where I work now does very little customer work and they're high seniority jobs because there are so few of them. I used to work for a Class 2, but I can't wrap my mind around doing the work for half the pay.

The problem is whether it was intentional or not, railroads have squeezed out customers and forced them to using truck to move things around. For grain and large moves that can guarantee 100 cars for a unit train, it's no problem. For the customers that can only fill 2-3 railcars a week the Class 1s have just stopped servicing many of them unless they're on a main line. It takes a lot of want on their end to send a crew down a 5-10 mile long 10mph branch line for 2-3 cars. The Class 2 and Class 3 railroads will do it, but with what they pay it's hard for them to employ enough people to actually service these companies on time.

As a railroader I love the small customer work. It makes railroading fun and feels personal being on the ground talking to these customers. Where I work now does very little customer work and they're high seniority jobs because there are so few of them. I used to work for a Class 2, but I can't wrap my mind around doing the work for half the pay.
Port of charleston handled 1.4 million pier containers in fiscal year 2023. How many train cars is that? 1.4 M, or 700K if double stacked.

Clearly some were more local, but many were not.

When natural gas is no longer free - because its a by product of shale oil, what are all you EV drivers going to do to power your EV's. I guess its no longer dirty when it powers an EV?

Pot calling kettle.

View attachment 211205

Not pot calling kettle. I get it that my EV is charged by some dirty sources but with my local utility the mix is constantly transitioning to cleaner sources, I don't know of any way to make an ICE cleaner burning as it ages. On top of that power plant emissions are highly regulated and the power plants are actually maintained to meet emissions regulations, you cannot say the same for millions of ICE vehicles suffering from poor maintenance that slowly start emitting more pollutants over their lifecycle if not becoming gross polluters when folks just abuse them.

My local utility (Southern Company - Georgia Power) has largely shifted their mix since I moved to Georgia in 2012 when it was heavy coal. As of 2023 year end report it was as follows and their movement keeps trending towards eliminating fossils, the final nuclear (Vogtle 4) reactor has been connected to the grid but they are still testing so not entirely clear if it is providing power to the grid yet. Worst case scenario my EV is ~32% emissions free electricity consisting of the bolded items below.

Coal - 15%
Natural Gas - 48%
Nuclear - 23%
Renewables - 7%
Hydro - 2%

Other/Null - 5% (not sure what this is - maybe biomass)

Port of charleston handled 1.4 million pier containers in fiscal year 2023. How many train cars is that? 1.4 M, or 700K if double stacked.

Clearly some were more local, but many were not.
I was thinking of it as smaller customers that were non intermodal in the middle of the country, but I'm unfamiliar with the numbers of port containers that leave by truck as opposed to by train.

I was thinking of it as smaller customers that were non intermodal in the middle of the country, but I'm unfamiliar with the numbers of port containers that leave by truck as opposed to by train.
I don't know how many leave by truck, but its a lot. Which is why there building a new intermodal rail station on the old navy yard just west of the port(s).

We also have a several class 3 railways in the Southeast. Some move containers from inland ports like port of Greer - a few miles down the road to specific customers, and some are resource specific - ie several of the steel mills run their own shortline to get steel to and from their mill to river ports, etc, and there are a couple I know that move logs / softwood to mills directly.

Are we just ignoring leaking underground fuel storage tanks, cars leaking oil/fluids/gasoline all over the roads, the use and disposal of engine oil, etc.? Also the refining of oil for the end result of gasoline and diesel is a very energy intensive process.

If we are talking about cradle to grave emissions for BEV we might as well calculate energy consumption for oil to be extracted, refined and transported for ICE vehicles as well. The magic gasoline and diesel don't just come straight out of the ground.....well literally it does at the end user but there are many more steps before it gets pumped into the ground at the filling stations.

Honestly?
I don’t care about any of it. I don’t care about emissions. I don’t care about fuel refineries I don’t care about lithium battery production because any of these numbers could be skewed anyway you want.
You have to remember the biggest culprit in the chain is actual CO2 produced by power plants.

But I don’t care about any of it. The only thing I care about is being forced to give other people money to purchase a product that I don’t want.
I don’t care what the vehicle is gas or electric. Let the market decide. it is a fantasy thinking deadly lithium powered battery operated cars is environmentally friendly that’s all.

People of the world have forgot how to think for themselves and are literally controlled by the people we elect. It’s pretty scary how easily people follow the leader because they can’t think for themselves anymore or reason.

When there are more E.V.s being charged on the power grid ( nuclear , natural gas , coal ) electric bills will likely rise like that of the oil / fuel industry .

Nobody seems to be for the elimination of tractor trailers. A lot of that freight can go by rail.
I wouldn't say "much " of it could. I work in logistics and there just isn't a cost effective or even feasible way to get a lot of loads delivered by rail.

Barring some MAJOR infrastructure changes, tractor trailers are here to stay.

If I've learned anything being both a mechanic and a rideshare driver it's that most people drive like an idiot with 1 foot on the gas and one on the brake.

My dad does that in his Tesla trying to start when pointing up a hill. A warning came up that both pedals were down. I tried explaining that it had hill hold, but he was like “Don’t bore me with the details”.

Question becomes, where does that that 5kWhr of electricity come from? it was not free, after all.
Most of the energy for a refinery comes directly from their own natural gas to power the process, which is mostly in the form of direct heat. They do use grid power to run their pumps, etc - but most of the actual energy is self produced. Obviously that is measured in kwh, but its not coming from the grid for the most part, so it depends on how you want to measure / score that.

Watched this last night .

Not so kind to the environment when in need of more tire replacement . Video included .

Heftier vehicles also contribute to more damage to roads in need of repair or replacement . Another minus for the environment . I'll stick to lighter hybrid or fuel effecient vehicle .

ok lol

My Navigator weighs in excess of 1000lbs empty MORE than my parents' ID.4.

BESIDES THE FACT that my Yokohamas on my Navi will probably AGE OUT before the tread wears out! I bough them in the fall of 2021 and they have more than 8/32 tread left after 2.5 years and almost 30K miles.

Plenty of portly midsize crossovers out there these days, if you want something more apples to apples on the weight. But anyway...

Back