Clutch Splines and Fork Pivots

Hey folks,

I'm reinstalling a manual transmission in my 1999 4Runner soon and want the experts to double-check my grease selection for two areas:

Input shaft splines -- planning to use some of my Honda Moly 60 secret stash

Clutch fork pivots -- where the fork touches throwout bearing I will put some Honda Moly 60. This area will be impossible to regrease after install and I think the Moly will stick around longest. For the pivot ball and the slave cylinder contact point I'll use some Schaeffers moly grease (274 I think it is). I am able to easily regrease these two points with a grease needle and have found it's necessary every year or so.

If you have a better recommendation I am all ears! Thank you!

I'll add that I also have some Honda high-temp urea grease which they recommend for these pivot points... but I don't know why that is the case.

Good call on the Moly 60. That is all I use for the un greaseable axle half shafts on my TR6. They are a week spot and I have not had an issue for the 20+ years I have used the Honda product.

I'd use the Honda product on the pivots, but either should be fine.

A more important place to lube (in my expierience) is the nose piece itself. This is the part that the throwout bearing slides in and out on. Not likely regreasable after in service, but a severe wear point.
If it's aluminum, it will wear and stick the throwout bearing, allowing the throwout bearing to not retract fully. If it does not retract fully, the bearing will ride on the pressure plate "fingers" and cause much more harm.

A more important place to lube (in my expierience) is the nose piece itself. This is the part that the throwout bearing slides in and out on. Not likely regreasable after in service, but a severe wear point.
If it's aluminum, it will wear and stick the throwout bearing, allowing the throwout bearing to not retract fully. If it does not retract fully, the bearing will ride on the pressure plate "fingers" and cause much more harm.

Yes! I plan to use the Urea grease for this part as well. Thanks for mentioning it.

As I have done more research on Urea based grease the various producers and TDSs I've found states that it is good for long service interval and sealed-for-life components. It also is quiet and does not attract dust. So this seems ideal for this kind of application.

Back