Quick/easy way to lube release fork area in manual transmission

Developed a squeak while depressing on the clutch pedal. Never tried applying lubrication before so I wanted some pointers.

I am hoping to not need to disassemble anything. I believe I can get access from under the car.
1. Where the slave cylinder pushes the fork, can I push the slave cylinder rod inwards to create space so I can put some silicone grease on the ball? or I should push the fork instead?
2. There's another pivot ball with the fork under the dust boot, is it possible to pop off the dust boot without taking off the slave cylinder to gain access?
3. Should I try to get silicone grease applied in that area or use white lithium spray can? I feel it's quite tight to get in there and wonder if that part needs greasing or not?

Attachments

• manual.jpg
    manual.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 76
based on that diagram it looks like a Honda. Honda has a special grease for their clutch release forks. Lubing it is going to be easiest if you unbolt the slave cylinder to get it out of the way and then you can pull the rubber boot from the clutch housing to try and get at the ball mount. Don't know if you will have enough room to do the job, but maybe with a stick of some sort you can get the grease in there where it needs to be.

An additional thought: spraying lubricant randomly into the clutch housing would be a bad idea, you don't want to lube up the clutch.

Last edited:
based on that diagram it looks like a Honda. Honda has a special grease for their clutch release forks. Lubing it is going to be easiest if you unbolt the slave cylinder to get it out of the way and then you can pull the rubber boot from the clutch housing to try and get at the ball mount. Don't know if you will have enough room to do the job, but maybe with a stick of some sort you can get the grease in there where it needs to be.

An additional thought: spraying lubricant randomly into the clutch housing would be a bad idea, you don't want to lube up the clutch.
Good eyes, it is a Honda =)

There are 2 x 12mm bolt holding the slave cylinder, if I take those off, will the slave cylinder just move away without me touching the hydraulic line?
I just don't want to end up having to deal with any clutch issue after doing the greasing.

I can try and get a brush with some silicone grease and stick it in there with a borescope.

However, I think the first thing I want to try is to grease the slave cylinder rod against the fork.
Which way should I push to get enough clearance? push rod inwards or push fork away from the slave?
or again, it's easier to just take the 2 x 12mm bolts off to do this?

Pushing the fork away from the slave is only going to give you a hair of clearance before you start pushing the release bearing against the pressure plate, it may be difficult to push the slave cylinder in by hand. Go ahead and try to see if you can squeeze any lube on between them. You might have to unbolt any other clamps holding the line running to the slave cylinder to get the slack you need to move the slave out of the way if you choose that route. There should be a section of rubber hose in the slave cylinder line (just like a brake hose) that will allow plenty of movement. You aren't going to run into any problems as long as you don't open up the hydraulics to air and then have to bleed the system.

Back