clutch material in the fluid mean time to change?

If you've got crap sticking to the dipstick, imagine what the rest of the pan of fluid must look like. Change the fluid and filter, sounds like the filter is bypassing. Typical transmission fluid is low viscosity, and you're trying to make your transmission run on marshmallow cream. The valve body is choking on sludge, behavior should improve with a fluid change.

The user name seems to imply that you would know to drop the pan and inspect the magnet? If there is enough material to show on the dipstick then the filter is obviously clogged, which might be contributing to it going into limp mode.

So no, a fluid change alone won't make a difference, a fluid AND filter change won't make it worse.

The user name seems to imply that you would know to drop the pan and inspect the magnet? If there is enough material to show on the dipstick then the filter is obviously clogged, which might be contributing to it going into limp mode.

So no, a fluid change alone won't make a difference, a fluid AND filter change won't make it worse.
That’s how I see it kinda.
I think h should do a pan drop and clean with a filter change. He could get an idea if it’s sludges up or has excessive wear. Then he could determine if it’s smart to do a complete fluid change or just do follow up drain and fills gradually.
If it’s not gunked up he should be safe to completely flush it out and replace with all new fluid or do multiple drain and fills with short intervals in between.

There is a Scotty Kilmer video where he shouts at you about ATF changes and how the clutch material in the fluid may be what is holding the lockup clutch together...

That’s how I see it kinda.
I think h should do a pan drop and clean with a filter change. He could get an idea if it’s sludges up or has excessive wear. Then he could determine if it’s smart to do a complete fluid change or just do follow up drain and fills gradually.
If it’s not gunked up he should be safe to completely flush it out and replace with all new fluid or do multiple drain and fills with short intervals in between.
I have a couple of Ford 4R100 transmissions...guess I'm used to drain bolts in the torque converters where I can drain 16 of the 17 quarts of capacity every 30K with a pan drop and filter change

I have a couple of Ford 4R100 transmissions...guess I'm used to drain bolts in the torque converters where I can drain 16 of the 17 quarts of capacity every 30K with a pan drop and filter change
I wish most passenger vehicles these days had drain plugs in the torque converter.
That’s just too easy though I guess.
Heck I have one vehical dosent even have a drain bolt in the pan or a dipstick.

There is a Scotty Kilmer video where he shouts at you about ATF changes and how the clutch material in the fluid may be what is holding the lockup clutch together...
That dudes funny. I like him.
He might be right if the vehicle in question is high mileage and never been changed before but otherwise clean fluid is just better for obvious reasons.

It went back to acting funny again.... worked for a while. I still need to change the fluid again and change the filters. I couldn't because I didn't have the strength to break through the rtv to remove the pan.

It went back to acting funny again.... worked for a while. I still need to change the fluid again and change the filters. I couldn't because I didn't have the strength to break through the rtv to remove the pan.
It did a really hard downshift in tow haul mode and I limped it home. the 68rfe does that occassionally in tow haul mode it's retarded.

Alot of times it isn't the fluid that causes a tranny to burn up but a clogged filter. It can never hurt dropping the pan and changing the filter and fluid in the pan. As far as completly flushing the system I have seen no advantage to it, just waisted time, money and fluid

It seems like it takes about a month to see the results of a fluid change, it doesn't happen immediately when you throw new fuid in it.

I've changed it a couple times and finally got new filters in on the last change. The trans isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than it was.

I spoke too soon...... it's like it sucks up a piece of crud and starts mis behaving again. It's usually the 3-4 shift that it does it. I think it's time to just put a new tranny in and call it a day. I don't have time to deal with this bs and baby the truck anymore. it's got 190,000 miles, guess that's about all you can expect out of an automatic transmission these days.

Back