clutch material in the fluid mean time to change?

If I pull my transmission dipstick chrysler 68rfe lately i've been getting a goop of black stuff on the end of it. From what i've been told it's clutch material, but what I didn't find out was does this hurt anything or does it mean I should change it?

It wouldn't hurt to change it. How many miles on the car? Has the fluid ever been changed before?

If it doesn't have a drain plug, get an aftermarket pan that has one. It will make future ATF changes much easier.

It has a B&G drain plug I had welded in the first time I changed it, so now I just have to remove the temp probe to drain it. This trans is probably on the out though, so I don't know if i'm just throwing money away. Occassionally it goes into limp mode where it doesn't get out of 1st until you hit about 20mph then it skips to 4th and doesn't lockup the converter. To fix this I have to pull over somewhere and restart the truck.

If you have a bead on a new transmission to replace it, great. Otherwise I would do a complete fluid swap and then make a normal maintenance plan to keep it alive. Cheers!

If you have anything in the fluid, that means you went too long on the fluid. Shouldn't the filters be doing something?

Whether a fluid swaps helps or not is for you to test.

I would've maintained it better, along with filters changes. So, besides the fluid, I recommend changing the filters.

Supertech ATF+4 is
The rebuild is inevitable.... do you want to do it now, or maybe in a year or 2? This is how I look at maintenance. On its last legs is not an excuse to continue with maintenance.

What is the point of a thread is you're not going to bother doing anything about it

I've had some experiences with ZF 4hp transmissions going into limp mode with old fluid. If the fluid was changed at the first signs of limp mode it could continue it's life happily, but if the owner waited chances diminished. I also dealt with aisins that didn't give any symptoms until it was too late.

The ZF had lifetime fluid in it, but symptoms typically occured around 70k miles. The Aisins went much longer, 120k or more, but as said above when you noticed it was too late.

You have a Chrysler, so yet another transmission and possibly different reaction to new fluid. I would however say new fluid of the correct specification never hurts anything, except your wallet. But then so does trans failure due to inaction.

It does fine just as long as it doesn't do a downshift in to 3rd or 4th gear to get back up to speed from 20mph. Used to be a once a year kind of thing, now it's pretty much guaranteed to do it if the fluid in the pan is 150 degrees.

If I pull my transmission dipstick chrysler 68rfe lately i've been getting a goop of black stuff on the end of it. From what i've been told it's clutch material, but what I didn't find out was does this hurt anything or does it mean I should change it?
Curious if the transmission is still alive?
I think changing the fluid would help. Maybe put lubgard in there also to help keep the temp a degree or 2 lower in the summers.
The manufacturers suggested 120k mile interval is insane. Half that is probably to long in my opinion.

Clean fluid will only help it. If the fluid makes it worse, or you still have issues, then the transmission is tired, whether that be VB/control issues or something mechanical with a clutch.

Back