Clutch/gearbox weirdness

Another transmission problem. When i push the clutch pedal, i can now feel and hear a "click" which makes the car even more annoying to drive. Another thing i notice is that when i fully depress the clutch, i have to bring the RPM up to be able to engage the appropriate gear (engine idling while the car is coasting, clutch depressed) This is clearly and indication that the engine and the gearbox aren't completely disconnected for each other. What's your opinion on this matter ? I'm starting to dislike manual transmission more and more lately.

My old dodge pick up developed a click when the clutch peddle was pushed down. Turned out the the bracket was cracked. I had a guy on the job weld it and that was the end of that issue.,,,

Maybe this is the source of the annoying noise i get when releasing the clutch too fast or when i abruptly release the gas pedal. It sounds quite metallic and i think they're also some kind of barely audible clicking/rattle that i thought was a lifter noise for months. If only it was easier to swap the manual for an automatic...

Last edited:
Most clutch systems are hydraulic, and the problem you describe will happen if the fluid leaks out. So check that first.

With the engine off, do you hear noise pressing the clutch pedal? If so, find out exactly where the noise comes from.

Not sure I follow? Clutch pushed in, engine rpm goes to idle, but the car is coasting along. To change gear though you have to blip the throttle in order to shift--while leaving the clutch pressed down? That seems rather odd. That you would need to blip the throttle *while letting the clutch out*, that would be normal, rev matching goes a ways. Having to double clutch, that is, to let it out while shifted in neutral, so as to make the input shaft match the required speed for the next gear shift, that used to be very commonly required, these days only on worn out syncros.

Most clutch systems are hydraulic, and the problem you describe will happen if the fluid leaks out. So check that first.

With the engine off, do you hear noise pressing the clutch pedal? If so, find out exactly where the noise comes from.
Yes the clicking noise and feel seems more pronounced when the engine's off. The brake fluid level never drops.
Not sure I follow? Clutch pushed in, engine rpm goes to idle, but the car is coasting along. To change gear though you have to blip the throttle in order to shift--while leaving the clutch pressed down? That seems rather odd. That you would need to blip the throttle *while letting the clutch out*, that would be normal, rev matching goes a ways. Having to double clutch, that is, to let it out while shifted in neutral, so as to make the input shaft match the required speed for the next gear shift, that used to be very commonly required, these days only on worn out syncros.
Let's say i'm cruising in 4th at 70km/h at 2000 rpm and push the clutch in and go into neutral long enough for the engine revs to drop back to idle. If i want to engage any gear, i have to blip the throttle to bring the rpm back up to say around 3000 for 3rd, 2000 for 4th or 1500 for 5th. If i dont do that, no way to engage a gear, while the clutch is fully pushed in and the transmission and engine are supposed to be disconnected from each other. Also, 1st to 2nd is always notchy but that's the way these gearboxes are i suppose. Also, there's no way to engage 1st unless the car is absolutely stopped which can be annoying.

Last edited:
It sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging. I’d check your slave cylinder for proper movement.

Last edited:
I'm surprised it's returning to idle, but it does sound like the clutch is dragging.

I just checked the brake fluid and it is above the max mark, it is completely full. It also looks dark...

I just checked the brake fluid and it is above the max mark, it is completely full. It also looks dark...

It sounds like a bad cylinder, either a master or slave. Yes it is fed by the brake fluid but it still has a clutch master cylinder. ATE are a good brand for the money. I would probably swap both out and change the brake fluid in the clutch and brake systems, also replace any rubber hoses.

Clutch master...

Slave cylinder...

Thanks for the info, i won't be able to do this job myself since i don't have access to a lift anymore. It's reassuring to know that the gearbox probably doens't have to be removed and that the clutch is probably ok. If the shop confirms that the problem is either/both bad cylinders i'll ask them to purge the whole brake/clutch circuit as well.

Edit : forgot to mention that the transmission really jitters when going from a stop, especially uphill... Maybe the clutch's burnt.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, i won't be able to do this job myself since i don't have access to a lift anymore. It's reassuring to know that the gearbox probably doens't have to be removed and that the clutch is probably ok. If the shop confirms that the problem is either/both bad cylinders i'll ask them to purge the whole brake/clutch circuit as well.

Edit : forgot to mention that the transmission really jitters when going from a stop, especially uphill... Maybe the clutch's burnt.

That definitely sounds like clutch slip.

That definitely sounds like clutch slip.
It only jitters while i slowly release the clutch, never with the foot off the clutch pedal. Maybe a warped clutch disc ? would a warped disc cause clutch grab ?

Might be glaze. I had a car that would do that--but would stop after taking to the dealer for routine service. I suspect the jockey's slipped the clutch much harder than I did, and would burn off whatever I was causing.

Might be glaze. I had a car that would do that--but would stop after taking to the dealer for routine service. I suspect the jockey's slipped the clutch much harder than I did, and would burn off whatever I was causing.
I must admit that my driving is very smooth or even sedate. I never ever downshift coming to a stop. I also thought about a rear main seal leak soaking the clutch and causing the juddering when launching the car in 1st from a rest.

PS : I feel so stupid, the "click" in the pedal was my floormat. :rolleyes:

Back