Is this clutch dragging ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
I used to have hard shifting experience in manual transmissions, with your helps i managed to solve it by using thinner fluid. (RAVENOL MTF-2 SAE 75W-80)

But what is interesting is that, when i am trying to downshift (quite rarely) at even higher speed , if i depress gas pedal (even when the clutch pedal is fully depressed), it shifts even more easily. Forexample, the speed is 50km/h, Try to downshift to Second gear, it wont shift untill i apply some force. But if i rev up to 3500-4000 rpm, it will shift immediately. Tested it multiple times.

This is not rev matching actually. Because clutch is pressed all the time. (How will engine speed be transmitted to the gearbox in this case?)

My question is that, if high revs can ease downshifting, does it means that there is clutch drag for 100% ?

PS: I do not have any issue regarding the shifting, just want to know if this is how it should be
smile.gif

Regards

revving the engine up slightly while downshifting is common practice.
reason being the engine WILL be operating at a higher RPM in that lower gear.
Look up 'heel & toe shifting' on YT.

Could be. Jack up rear of car or all wheel drive get it on lift. Run engine, shift to first..hold clutch to floor and see if wheels turn. If they turn with that pedal down? Dragging clutch.

If no synchros on reverse. Can you feel a crunch with a quick shift into reverse? That's normal.....so shift into reverse with the engine running. This will stop gears spinning. Go back to neutral....all this time keep the clutch pedal down and after a few seconds go quickly back to reverse. If you get another crunch...gears have been spun up again by a dragging clutch

Last edited:
As @ammolab said, with the car sitting still and engine running if it doesn't grind when shifting to reverse you're getting full disengagement of the clutch.

You have to spin up the input shaft to complete a downshift. That can be done with the synchro or with the engine.

Don't downshift routinely when coming to a stop that is just a lot of unnecessary wear and tear. Brake pads are really cheap compared to drivetrain parts.

Last edited:
what happens if you double clutch when down shifting.? De-clutch to neutral, blip throttle with pedal up, depress pedal move into lower gear. i suppose it is possible the input shaft is mis-aligned in the pilot bearing. is the transmission in snugly ?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by andyd
what happens if you double clutch when down shifting.? De-clutch to neutral, blip throttle with pedal up, depress pedal move into lower gear. i suppose it is possible the input shaft is mis-aligned in the pilot bearing. is the transmission in snugly ?
grin2.gif

i always double clutch before down downshifting, for easy shifting and to save synchros.

Today i see it is even difficult to shift from First gear to Neutral when car is moving. And when it shifts, it cause some shake. Depressing gas pedal again make shifting easy
If car not moving, i can shifts to neutral easily as usual .

Ä° made extensive tests to diagnose clutch drag. There was no hint of drag.
Jacked up driven weel. Ä°n the first gear, pressing on the clutch stopped the turning wheel.
There is no difference in how easy it is to shift to gears with and without engine running (while car is parked)
Can shift to rear gear without grinding.

I made some research in russian forums for similar issues, many reported engine mount to be the culprit. Not sure about the corelation.
Tomorrow i will get it checked extensively
Thanks for your supports
smile.gif

Yes if the engine is jumping around on bad mounts you can experience difficult shifting, popping out of gear, etc.

Originally Posted by mk378
Yes if the engine is jumping around on bad mounts you can experience difficult shifting, popping out of gear, etc.

Replacing the clutch disk, pressure plate and release bearing solved the issue.
Everything is so fine now.
Thanks all for support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back