Does coasting at low RPM's cause excessive wear to Dual Mass Flywheel?

I once watched a video on YouTube from LUK who suggested that any driving below 1600rpm would cause premature wear to the DMF. That was about 10 years ago now maybe? I've always driven above 1600rpm since and don't let my engine labour at all.

I think I saw that video or a similar one. I suppose they would know.

What wears out dual mass flywheels is vibration. At low rpm and high load, the engine vibrates more. I would downshift, just because the cars i drive don't like accelerating when they're under 1300 rpm.
If it was my car I would see if they make a single mass flywheel and if the extra vibration from the smf causes any issues. And most dual mass flywheels last over 60,000 miles, so if you aren't keeping the car that long i wouldn't worry.

I've put 208.000 km (130.000 miles) on my car and it still has the factory flywheel.... and it doesn't show any sympton of wear.... but my plans are keeping the car forever, thus my interest on looking after it.

60.000 miles of lifespan for a DMF sounds riddiculous for me BTW, I think most of them last way longer according to my experience.

I've put 208.000 km (130.000 miles) on my car and it still has the factory flywheel.... and it doesn't show any sympton of wear.... but my plans are keeping the car forever, thus my interest on looking after it.

60.000 miles of lifespan for a DMF sounds riddiculous for me BTW, I think most of them last way longer according to my experience.

I've only had 1 DMF failure and it was on a MK4 Mondeo 1.8TDCi at 168,000miles. That was mainly motorway miles and the engine had been remapped from 125bhp & 235lbft to 150bhp & 300lbft.

Back