Clueless about motorcycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if we get a bike, it seems like it will likely be a used Honda Shadow, right now looking at a Shadow VT500C, and I think a VLX. Both have Honda 52 degree OHC V-twins. I have no idea what oil these would need, and what the change interval on them is. I need edumacated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Nick... there's already plenty here to read, you just need to go look for it.

Of all people, you should know that by now.

If its wet clutch stay with motocycle oils or rotella. some say the mobil 50w. You don't want moly some other friction modifier that will screw up your clutch.

If wet clutch stay away from "energy conserving" on the back label of the oil.

HDEO 15w40 is your best bet in most cases, and many here use it, including me.

The VLX is a much improvement over the older VT500.

Many, many cycle riders use Rotella. Either 15W-40 (white jug)
or the synthetic 5W-40 (blue jug).
Reasonable priced at Wal-mart.

You can spend a lot more, but Rotella will do great in most any cycle.

Hi.

I have a 2010 Shadow. In the summer the 15W-40 HDEO's would be very good oils for that bike. The tranny can be a little loose and slightly clunky and the heavier oil seem to help that. You also could not go wrong with a synthetic 10W-40 like Mobil 1 motorcycle oil. In the cooler months I would run a 10W-30 motorcycle oil. My Shadow seems to run pretty cool and I can't see any point in heavier oil in winter and they
seem to cut performance a tiny bit.

That motor is not highly tuned, but still, the Honda recommended OCI is, I think, way too long. I would not want to
go over 3,000 miles as the crank case capacity is not huge.
It doesn't require a lot of oil, and it is very easy to change the oil and filter, so why try to stretch the
change interval??....seems like false economy to me.

Frankly, due to the relatively mild state of tune in the Shadow motor, I suspect oil choice (as long as it is a decent oil) is not horribly critical as long as you don't have a hyper aggressive riding style. Still for mild to warm weather, the 15W-40 oils (Rotella T, Delo and Delvac) are easily the best quality for the dollar. Second to these oils, would be the 10W-40 MC oils.

Good riding.

2007 Shadow 750 ,I could give you a long opinion but RC46 Rider is right on point. HDEO and 3000 mi OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dwendt44

In what capacity is it "much improved"? Was it the loss of two forward gears that made it better? The dumbing down of the engine for increased vibration and decreased performance for that ever important "potato-potato-potato" sound? Loss of cornering clearance? The placement of the footpegs, shifter and brake on the front downtube that places the rider's weight squarely on his coccyx?
So it's slower, vibrates more, is less comfortable, and doesn't handle as well. That's improved?
Your definition of improved is different than mine.

But as far as the OP, I started running Castrol GT-X 20W50 in my Kawasaki at about 40,000 miles. I did have some transmission problems later on but the fact that I had a second gear at all in a 600 Ninja at 40K is a testament to how good the Bel-Ray I had been running was.
By the time I sold that poor bike that had served as my sole source of transportation for many years, second gear was gone, third had to be held in place with your foot but the engine itself still had good compression across all 4 cylinders. Class 1 leak at top left corner of valve cover. That's it.
HDEO every 3000 wouldn't have saved 2nd gear. Nothing would have short of me changing my riding style and limiting my trips to the 1/8th mile track. But I'm confident that a good HDEO would serve you better than my PCMO Castrol GT-X served me.

The older version was somewhat more cramped and I got the impression of skittish.
The VLX is stretched out and runs more 'relaxed' (my opinion) and looks better as well.
The mechanics of Hondas are generally bullet proof.
And yes, the lose of gears plagued some of the VT1100s as well as the smaller 600.

I like Amsoil's motorcycle oils. I use Amsoil's 10-40 motorcycle oil in my FJ1100, and do 5000 mile OCIs with plenty of life left when I change it. 76K miles and it runs like a top.

You couldn't pay me to run dino in a motorcycle; Its used up way too quickly, getting the viscosity hammered out of it in short order.

If there's anyplace to use a synthetic its in a motorcycle, especially given the way many folks only ride infrequently. Combine that with the engine on most bikes sharing oil with the transmission and you have a very hostile environment. Too hostile for anything other than synthetic formulated for bikes, unless you like to change oil every 1000 miles. On that schedule I would have changed my oil 7 times since January. I'm going to pass on that. Just my 2 Krugerrand, mind you.

Originally Posted By: Scoot_4_20

+1

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

In what capacity is it "much improved"? Was it the loss of two forward gears that made it better? The dumbing down of the engine for increased vibration and decreased performance for that ever important "potato-potato-potato" sound? Loss of cornering clearance? The placement of the footpegs, shifter and brake on the front downtube that places the rider's weight squarely on his coccyx?
So it's slower, vibrates more, is less comfortable, and doesn't handle as well. That's improved?

They made it a true cruiser..... Function follows form, it's a proven recipe for the segment...... sadly....

Originally Posted By: Scoot_4_20

^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^

Originally Posted By: Mik
Originally Posted By: Spazdog

They made it a true cruiser..... Function follows form, it's a proven recipe for the segment...... sadly....

OT - Ditto. Ridiculous things have gone in regards to the 'cruiser' segment of motorcycling. I guess that I reflect my Gen X upbringing & cultural exposure. I grew up thinking that Magnas, Radians, Secas & Sabres were really cool bikes. Was a bit tepid about the Viragos & Shadows, gravitated towards the sporty end of the spectrum but the UJM-ethos was well-respected by me & others of my ilk. Motorcycles represented freedom, fun & affordable transportation in a really unique manner. They DID NOT represent a "Lifestyle."

Cursed "Boomers"...! Not only are they quickly destroying any & all forms of health care, they warped an entire generation's perception of what it means to ride a bike.

Sorry for the OT rant.

Any HDEO will do for wet-clutch bike oil. Conventional is probably preferable for a whole host of reasons...

John.

I'm a new member... and I have to admit to being completely lost with a lot of the terminology used on the site.

I don't know much about oil. I registered so I can learn more about engine oil(s), with motorcycle engines being the focus of my search for knowledge.

I can tell you what I use. You'll have to figure out if the technical basis supports my choices and use.

I've run (either) Rotella T 15-40 or Delo LE 15-40 in my motorcycles for close to 5 years, with no concerns. I change oil and filter about every 3000-3500 miles. I recently have started using the Delo 400 LE in my 1984 GL 1200. With only 800 miles on it, there's little I can offer you in the way of experience. There does not see to me any difference between the Rotella and Delo as far as how the engine sounds, transmission shifts, or in engine operating temperature.

I ride 12 months a year, as long as there is no ice on the road surface, and will often put 1000 miles a month, or more on my motorcycles.

The only time I have shortened the OCI is when I had a leaking carb float, which allowed raw gas into the crankcase of a Virago I owned (my stupidity).

I have considered using many other types and brands of oil in my motorcycles, but all the reading and discussions I've had with other riders has always brought me back to the Rotella, Delo or Delvac oil(s). I read that the WalMart store brand oil in the same class is similar when compared to the Rotella (From the PQIA web site testing data). I *may* try some of that oil, but I don't know if I will. I'm pretty happy with what I'm using, and probably won't change a thing in spite of the reading I've done on the subject.

It seems to me that the oil(s) we choose for our engines are as personal as Ford or Chevrolet... you make an informed decision and the rest is personal preference.

Tom

Rotella 15w-40. Don't use the t-6 5w-40. It shears really quickly in the shared sump.
I've got a 750 shadow. I think its an 86. Its nimble,quick and a great city bike. I'm using conventional rotella in that,my Harley and an 83 venture I picked up for a song. 3000-3500 mile intervals and never think on it again.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Rotella 15w-40. Don't use the t-6 5w-40. It shears really quickly in the shared sump.
I've got a 750 shadow. I think its an 86. Its nimble,quick and a great city bike. I'm using conventional rotella in that,my Harley and an 83 venture I picked up for a song. 3000-3500 mile intervals and never think on it again.

How do you find the HDEO clutch wise? The Delvac is ok but not as good as something specifically designed for wet clutch.
I was happy for about 6k miles with Delvac and then put in Penrite HPR (already had it), recommended by them for my bike, and it was smoother engaging the clutch when hot. I had forgotten and got used to the Delvac...which is a little "grabby" when hot.
Not a huge difference but noticeable.

Splineman, I use Rotella 15w-40 HDEO in my V-Strom 1000. Also used it in a previous Versys and GSX1250FA. No problems with a grabby or slipping clutch.

Originally Posted By: splineman
Originally Posted By: Clevy

How do you find the HDEO clutch wise? The Delvac is ok but not as good as something specifically designed for wet clutch.
I was happy for about 6k miles with Delvac and then put in Penrite HPR (already had it), recommended by them for my bike, and it was smoother engaging the clutch when hot. I had forgotten and got used to the Delvac...which is a little "grabby" when hot.
Not a huge difference but noticeable.

Honestly. I've been using rotella in my primary for so long now I don't remember what the clutch felt like with something else.
I vaguely remember the clutch being grabby using a v-twin oil in the primary until everything got warmed up. The rotella feels the same cold or hot. Very consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back